Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

But it was mentioned that you actual have to be stronger in Neagtion as the one who cast the spell you want to negate even more so if you want to negate a spell you don't know about.

So yes Negation is a extrem useful and poweful tool but you have to invest into it more then in other paths of magic.

Sounds logical given that you are completely dominating a fight if you can both destroy his spell AND throw a spell at him. You can essentially shut him down completely, though I guess you still have to be better than him comparatively speaking.

Still it's probably the best school for magic duels. Incantation is referred to as the school for war-mages but I think that's more for it's usefulness against non-magician combatants.

Of course an omni would have a slight benefit in negation simply because an understanding of all fields of magic would mean that you would have at least a basic understanding as to how a spell being used against you worked, and thusly have negated that weakness in negation. :)

I agree that Negation does seem the most useful at least in versatility on dealing with other pillars, but I expect it has limitations on other isssues that will become apparent as time goes on.

So not only can you intentionally cast a spell that, if partially absorbed, becomes a strong spell while leaving your enemy weaker for having absorbed what s/he did, but you can intentionally cast such a spell that not only becomes stronger but a different spell entirely?

...That wouldn't happen to be a viable tactic in, say, Y2 magic combat, would it? Because I can totally see someone playing a Fool character who defeats opponents through sheer force of trolling.

Are you really adding X pheme and so make the spell casting a lot slower when a Negation mage just have to draw 2 pheme to dispel the complet spell?

Duel is a lot about speed and each pheme add to the time you need to cast a spell.

First Blood the one who first hit the oponent with a spell or ability that do some damage win.

Till unconcious the highest damage per second win.

There probably some uncommon Duel variants where such trick spells might be good i.e. when each side have to wait for the other to have finished theyr previous action before the next one can be done.

But in general when you have to use 4 pheme for your base spell and add 3 more to trick the oponent you need 8 actions while the enemy just need 3 actions for the Dispel and then have 5 actions to do something else. So even if you get your spell trough you wasted the same number of actions to hopeful trick the oponent then he need for casting his Dispel.

Are you really adding X pheme and so make the spell casting a lot slower when a Negation mage just have to draw 2 pheme to dispel the complet spell?

Duel is a lot about speed and each pheme add to the time you need to cast a spell.

First Blood the one who first hit the oponent with a spell or ability that do some damage win.

Till unconcious the highest damage per second win.

There probably some uncommon Duel variants where such trick spells might be good i.e. when each side have to wait for the other to have finished theyr previous action before the next one can be done.

But in general when you have to use 4 pheme for your base spell and add 3 more to trick the oponent you need 8 actions while the enemy just need 3 actions for the Dispel and then have 5 actions to do something else. So even if you get your spell trough you wasted the same number of actions to hopeful trick the oponent then he need for casting his Dispel.

That's certainly a concern for multi pheme duel spells. Some wizards uses tatoos and inscribed items to gain ready access to certain phemes. Didn't sound like they were going to add it for our students in year 2 though. There were older wizards who used such things in year 1.

I voiced my concern for the effectiveness and casting speed of multipheme spells quite a while ago.

Still, I would hope that they changed their minds on that and added it for advanced skill levels. Also, I Think there was the pierce pheme, that was designed to pierce negation defences.

Meaning it might be possible to use it to pierce a weaker Negation defence and make the Negation mage fail if caught unprepared and/or unaware.

The counter to that was the shield pheme I think, which the negation mage would have to add to counter a pierce pheme.

I really think Observation skills, lipreading and such should be useful in duels to gain intel on what the oponent is casting or about to cast.(Least if you recognise the spell/phemes beign cast)

Might be too advanced for the Engine atm though?

Also, absorbing hostile phemes will allow you to cast more advanced spells without drawing all the phemes yourself. You just need to know a spell that uses the phemes, or use them to properly buff one of your own spells without adding a pheme that is a counter to Another of the phemes you're using.

One smart strategy against a negation ´wizard could be to use phemes that are the opposites of the phemes used by your enemy, that way, they can't use your phemes to boost or construct their favrite spells.

If they got the skill and knowledge they might start using your other set of phemes instead, but they might not be as familiar with them and it might throw them off and their strategy.

If they arn't observant/skilled they might accidentaly throw in a pheme that they absorbed which will cancel out their spell all together making them waste a whole lot of phemes.(in theory)

It's probably easier for that to happen in the heat of battle.

Maybe there could be a shop, perhaps even one run by older students that sell some simple trinkets with inscribed phemes. expect those abailable to second year through those means to be limtied to maybe one pheme and be fairly expensive.

With more advanced artefacts as Adventure rewards/found treasures. Or obtainable through very advanced skill sets where you have to put a lot of effort into Learning third or fourth year magic...

It deffinately seems like an Orthography and enchant skill combo.

Arithmatics was also supposed to allow you to pull of more advanced magical feats than normaly available for your skill level. So maybe a very good Arithmatic skill could increase your chance of success.

After all, that skill set has yet to yield any magical applications as promiced.

In the end, you wallet speaks or you spent a lot of time mastering advanced magical artificing, which could pay off in the long run. But you might have forsaken other fields of studdy. On the other hand, if you can make the stuff, then it might be possible for you to sell it.

The faculty seems somewhat weary of it thoguh since it might empower students with phemes and spells beyond their abilities that could cause accidents..

But it shouldn't be against regulations to use artefacts that you created yourself, after all, if you created them then they should hardly be beyond your abilities or skill.

I really hope the "Masters mark" won't get in the way in later years, or it will get the boot! ;) Maybe the masters mark should have been a glamoured invissible patch for your robe instead.... Or at least as an alternative.. maybe... Though those patches might be at a premium aswell.

Didn't sound like it was that old of a tradition anyway. I never liked the idea of a tatoo to begin with ;) Also, if you can slif the mark anyway, then it doesn't seem like it would have to be a tatoo, even if I guess it might convince less knowledgable guards somewhat more...

I got an idea... How about a Year 2 midterm day when the Negation class is training in scanning Auras, and students get to probe each others auras for forbidden magic, like Mastery and Gates?

Then you would have to be super good at negation and prepare for it so you don't get caught if you have been messing around with it.

I would assume most of the students wont be very powerful or good at it, but, how good is the player student at tricking the Reading? That could be interesting, assuming you can trick the Reading.

An alternative could be to have a "friend" who's also "tainted" cover for you and do the testing so that you trick the system together ;) Social networking.

There would certainly be more than one way to get around, and several skillsets to deal with issues.

It'd be pretty weird to have the class scan for gates or mastery since the expectation is that no one would have done them and so it'd presumably be hard to get a good feel for the magic. Not a great learning exercise.

It'd make more sense to have them cast a basic revision or something and have them try to detect that in the aura.

It'd be pretty weird to have the class scan for gates or mastery since the expectation is that no one would have done them and so it'd presumably be hard to get a good feel for the magic. Not a great learning exercise.

It'd make more sense to have them cast a basic revision or something and have them try to detect that in the aura.

Maybe, but maybe all magic residue is noticable in the Aura, but, I guess you are on to something there, if they are instructed to search for Revision or Incantation, negation etz Then the risk of gettign caught for Mastery and Gates would be lower, even if it would likely be noticed in the aura, but if you atempt to hide it they might not find what they are not looking for.

But it might still draw attention if you do nothing to hide it, since it might occlude/taint what they're looking for unless you negate/revise the aura somehow, or cleanse it somehow using some kind of artefact that absorbs Mastery and Gates.

Maybe an artefact that Cleans all residue, then you build up a new aura with a few cating of simple spells in fast sucession. It might take some planning though. So having a good study habits skill might help you by havign acess to the class planner ahead of time. Basia Ryds picked one up to sabotage the classes study materials.

I really think Basia is crazy, it was just over the top. Having her whole class become the worst ever so that she tops the grading curve :P

That whole adventure with the Grounders family and returning their family member who was a student at the Academagia in the middle empire.... Got me thinking, There needs to be a shoulder slot or something with a shoulder item for Hawks and Owls and such to land on, like Matthew had. They got much worse claws than a Crow(Unless you dull those claws with pliars and Nail file(which they might not appreciate either since they might want to use their claws in their Daily lives)).

Maybe it could be bought, or even crafted. A crafted version could be improved, made less bulky and unfashionable and enchanted if you're skilled I guess.

No matter how good friends you are, it's a fluffy ball of muscle and Sharp tallons. So, if you want the familiar to have it's natural Sharp claws(which should be an optional in-game attack type), then you need to handle it somehow, Mathews shoulder thing seemed like a better option to having handlers gloves all the time.

Or maybe you could enchant your shoulders and hands to... cope with the tallons? It could be a good Year 2 adventure, especially for the start of the summer, especially now that you're going to do some traveling together, even if you're from Mineta.

Maybe it could have a bond effect, maybe there could be similar quests for other familiars at the start of Year 2 to give a small boost to the bond. I'm sure there are a lot of people who didn't work on their bond at all.

Traveling together could probably be a good bonding experience, it usualy is.

Please add Windows 10 Support to the updated Year 1.

I think we need a organisation like the following in the game if not in already:

Gods secret hand

A minor secret orginsation of some religious astrologer that use theyr magic and other resources to do what they belive is the will of the gods.

(Maybe we even saw one of them already in the Negation Wand adventure when looking for the jewel ^^)

Please add Windows 10 Support to the updated Year 1.

I think we need a organisation like the following in the game if not in already:

Gods secret hand

A minor secret orginsation of some religious astrologer that use theyr magic and other resources to do what they belive is the will of the gods.

(Maybe we even saw one of them already in the Negation Wand adventure when looking for the jewel ^^)

An Organization that perhaps helps prayers be Heard? And your Astrology spell hijacked their system?

Will adventures have a Little flag notifying if they are a regular adventure, college adventure, student Adventure(whom it's tied to) or family/background adventure), class?

It would be nice to get soem more information Before picking them ingame. On the otherhand it's understandable that sometimes you don't know what's comming your way.