Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

I'm just a fan of doing it without being taught by anybody.

I would question if private tuition would work unless the student was fully vetted. You can argue that the background alone should be enough, but not so. I fully believe that the only reason why Euneycia taught you anything was so that she could see whether or not you were going to be trouble for Schohanwicht. (After all, the school would have a lot harder time moving and hiding, than one person and her things.) So any individual willing to teach you Gates would naturally expect the prospective student to have substantial skills in Gates already. (much more than the meager 10-11 skill we might have already) that would show that they're committed to learning, and already have experience in keeping it secret.

Maybe you never played with this background? Just to bring up why it is a issue:

As thanks for using a Background slot, wasting many timeslot in Follow you Parents Instruction + Adventure (7 call that give no Attribute reward) and then train the Gate Magic up (22 time slot to get it complete to 10) to make your parents "happy" you get most of your free time removed in year 2. So over all its not much faster then someone using the Sphynx in year 1. Also the use of gate magic is next to not given as you run a high risk of permanent remove your character from the game if you even cast a gate spell just once.

But when someone comes up with a logical idea for a option how to handle this background in year 2 there suddenly many hater up and try to flood the suggestion with their postings out of the view of the Legate.

@Freespace: Many wealthy Mages have private Instruction right from the beginning when they know nothing about magic according to the Legate! And the Prviat Instruction could be a part of Schohanwitch as we all know that schools in past and even present of our world handled high paying students different from less paying students.

Or you could donate a new dining hall... or at least new furiture and drapes and cutlery etz.... Or some other greatly appreciated donation. That puts the school in your debt kind of, still, you would want to learn gates if you're puttign time into it and they would probably want to test you if you're to attend their school. I'm sure there would be requirements no matter what. Maybe they could cut down on the number of days you visit, but they would still expect you to keep up I'm sure. Seeign as it's a small specialized school. Do they hand out diplomas when you finnish your education at their school? Some kind of graduation? Seeing as they want to keep things secret and under the radar...

Maybe you never played with this background? Just to bring up why it is a issue:

As thanks for using a Background slot, wasting many timeslot in Follow you Parents Instruction + Adventure (7 call that give no Attribute reward) and then train the Gate Magic up (22 time slot to get it complete to 10) to make your parents "happy" you get most of your free time removed in year 2. So over all its not much faster then someone using the Sphynx in year 1. Also the use of gate magic is next to not given as you run a high risk of permanent remove your character from the game if you even cast a gate spell just once.

The Background more than pay for itself in year 1 already. You get a bonus adventure with the skill increases and five abilities one being among the best availaible in game with a whopping 5 skill increases.

There's not many Background that actually compare to the Secret Heritage. Only the attribute Background are comparable.

Many others are far worse cost/benefit wise.

Indeed. Learning Gates magic is dangerous and not a very wise investment overall. I see nothing wrong with that because that's what make it interesting.

But when someone comes up with a logical idea for a option how to handle this background in year 2 there suddenly many hater up and try to flood the suggestion with their postings out of the view of the Legate.

@Freespace: Many wealthy Mages have private Instruction right from the beginning when they know nothing about magic according to the Legate! And the Prviat Instruction could be a part of Schohanwitch as we all know that schools in past and even present of our world handled high paying students different from less paying students.

I am sorry you take it that way but if it can reassure you I merely "disagree" with you. If you take it as "hating" then fine but I won't prevent you from giving you pov to the Legate.

If you don't wish to be bothered by the pov of other forumite I can only advise you to mp the legate.Then you will be sure to have a private conversation.

I accept if someone bring arguments why the suggestion is not good but just say its a bad idea you don't agree with is in my opinion a try to burry the suggestion of someone else so that the Legate will not read it.

But over all my suggestion is that this private teaching is ~2x as effective as the group teaching so you "just" need 2- 3 timeslot a week instead of 5 combined with free decision when you take class but it reduce the money you can get from your parent by a lot (maybe by 100 biweekly) and your parent need to be happy about you at the begin of year 2.

hummm.... Maybe there should be a more advanced skill that you can learn in Y2 that teaches you how to modify spell borders beyond the basic ones our young wizards learned about in Y1 when they studied existing spells in their base configurations. That adds more of an understanding of what small chagnes does to spells, the more you learn about it the better you get at minipulating the results... Maybe?

Because the as far as I know the only mention of a border seems to come from events where someone poitns out your border is crooked or wrong compared to the book, some errors might make the casting fail entierly.

Maybe "Border theory" should be a skill. A skill that's still being researched by wizards all over the world at more advanced levels, perhaps even a major focus for those Arithmancers who might treat it more like the equivalent of the Theory of relativity, for magic.

This "border" thing has barely been explained in Y1 and it doesn't sound like the students were actively adapting it, or maybe it just wasn't mentioned.

Palettes from Enchant, even if it focused on adding a palette to enchant items, is the closest skill to what your looking for in year 1.

After all the Palette you use define the spell borders from my understanding.

I personal wonder why we don't have a Palettes SS in Enspell but that's probably because Palettes in Enchant initial and from the description was also the skill for the Palettes you use during spellcasting but later was corrected by the Legate that it is only for enchanting.

Satyric Revelry really makes one wonder why you should pick it up, especialy when the grumy Satyr you meet tells you humans can't dance like a Satyr due to the legs etz. Still, maybe it's not all worthless to understand other cultures in case you have to deal with them.

Satyric Revelry really makes one wonder why you should pick it up, especialy when the grumy Satyr you meet tells you humans can't dance like a Satyr due to the legs etz. Still, maybe it's not all worthless to understand other cultures in case you have to deal with them.

Party hard, die hard?

• 2 weeks later...