Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

• 2 weeks later...

I was seeing a picture of a RPG char today who have a outfit put together out of pieces that are a bad match.

This brought me to think that at last some of the magic equipment that still work today was once made for the wealthy and probably no longer match the sense of fashion and clothing doctrine of Mineta / Academagia today.

Just noticed that the game has a Weather system and the clock displays the current weather. Does weather have any effect on game play? For example cloudy or rainy = -CoD, etc.? 

Also probably not realistic for year one, but it'd be nice if the UI changed to match the weather. Ideally there would be small animations that liven up the UI or background, but something that might be more readily achievable: change the background to match the season + weather, and have an option to animate the cursor (rain, snow, cloudy, etc.).

Alternately, since changing the entire background might be a bit jarring, (dorm?) window panes could be added to either side of the character portrait UI element and the windows' contents could change to reflect the weather and seasons. If animation is added, the scenery through the windows could be animated and maybe the UI lamps could be animated to flicker from time to time as well. 

Just some thoughts that I had for increasing immersion, since I find that I don't particularly have a sense of what the season is (Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn) when I'm playing through the year, and it's a bit of a waste that there is a weather system where the only indication of the current weather is a tiny icon that I never notice.

Thanks Metis, so then the question is: Since the team went to the trouble to create daily changing weather, wouldn't it be cool if it did?

A simple table of increases and decreases could be created and applied to rolls.

The easiest to think of would be changes to CoD: Darker/inclement weather = bonus, brighter/clear weather = penalty

There are probably other things could be reasonably thought to be affected, for example hot sunny summer day: -1 endurance, +5% Fire spells, etc.

Sorry to double post,

Something else that would be helpful is an in-game listing of the hotkeys.

An easy way to do this without adding any new UI elements: add a lore with the hotkey list that is given at the start and name it something like "*** hotkey list ***" so that it shows at the top of the list. (Downside is that it would require a content patch.)

Alternately a button could be added in "Menu": "Show hotkey list" that opens a window with the list.

@ Legate

Cool, any thoughts on UI improvements regarding season/weather?

@ Metis,

Other hotkeys that I know of are the +/- keys used to increase/decrease font size. Dunno if there are others, but since neither of us know what the other ones are, does seem to indicate that they aren't well documented... 

But, I agree with your sentiment that if there are only 3, then it's a bit silly to have a pop-up window -- maybe just list them on the "Menu" panel in a section called Hotkeys?

When the reward for a PC's skill increase is an increase to the PC's familiar's skill, such a benefit should be recorded in the Day's Log of Events. the lack of this notice initially led me to think that raising the conversation skill to 11 was broken or incomplete.

Of course, was thinking more for Y2/Y3, but only to the extent it doesn't significantly delay things... 

I also think it would be great to have Familiar skill changes be reported somehow...(This is important because familiar's skill steps aren't shown correctly.)

I hope that Y2 still has an oath of the peach garden type mechanic planned.

Also, a rather jarring issue (but possibly too late to change): when researching espionage to Level 10, Tre the Janitor is said to lead the PC to his secret room, yet no such location is unlocked. Ideally, this would be a real in-game location that Espionage Research 10 could unlock, but I am not requesting that of you. Rather perhaps you could modify the lore in Espionage Research 10 so that Tre does not lead the PC to his room, but rather tells about the importance of having a place of privacy and security, such as his own unlocatable room. This would make Tre more mysterious and create a plot hook for future years without creating a disconnection between the game-play mechanics and story. Finally, I really like the way that research for Espionage is structured: the lore being about the PC's receiving advanced training in a subject. If more research subjects were like this, then research might be more interesting from a story game perspective than the current series of rather random lores for research topics.