Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

All this talk about gender made me think of familiars.

On one of my playthrougs and it was a pretty good one over all and im planning ot import it to Y2 to see how it carries on.

I got to choose the name of my familiar and I gave it the name Elsa, which is a feminine name. But then I learned I had got a Hawk and that it was a he :P No NPC is likely to react so it's ok, but, still. I guess maybe I could have looked at the sugested name and determined the gender before picking a name.

Are hawk familiars always male? or can they be female? No that it really matters much... Im planning to go with the headcannon that my mage has no idea what gender it's avian friend is, despite having 10 points allocated to birds :P Or that he didn't know until long after giving it a name :D

I wonder if I can get good enough at revision to change my familiar to fit the name :rolleyes:

Some familiars might not even have genders.

Hummm I should try and rename my familiar instead... The other option seemed immoral, poor familiar...

Bwehehe, oh kind divines...

I can imagine; The father really wanted a son, named Rudolf. Mother was pleased it was a girl. Father thought it was a conspiracy. Mother laughed it off. Father named the girl Rudolf anyway, wowing to change the gender to fit at a later stage. 15 years later in the middle of school. Poof.

Well, I'd say this kind of magic should be strongly regulated if not banned. Imagine if something goes wrong!

or that it goes right for that matter!

The Blackmail action should be harder against targets with the right skills, and 'the right skills' should be more than just the target having Blackmail themselves. Temperance, Ethics, Character, Intrigue, and Rhetoric should all provide bonuses against it. These skills all reduce the odds that the person will have anything to blackmail them about, and/or they make it more likely that they'll be able to defend their reputation effectively against blackmailers.

I notice in the Modtools that the Blackmail action gives the target a static +4. Perhaps the static bonus should be replaced by a series of smaller bonuses based on the skills listed above.

I don't think that would really help. There are a lot of steely-eyed people in history who've been blackmailed anyways.

It might help if it makes the Blackmailer less sure of him or herself. Oh crap, he's not the least worried, im not doing this right.

Maybe the highest numbers of the skills mentioned should be picked automaticaly. Different people defend themselves differently, but if you got no defence what so ever then you got none. Usualy they can't use their entire repetoare though.

It might help if it makes the Blackmailer less sure of him or herself. Oh crap, he's not the least worried, im not doing this right.

Maybe the highest numbers of the skills mentioned should be picked automaticaly. Different people defend themselves differently, but if you got no defence what so ever then you got none. Usualy they can't use their entire repetoare though.

Or perhaps you could add a division of each skill and get a total to counter tthe black mail attempt... Or maybe that's too complicated?

Some NPC's Vettor Conta I think it was, has got abilities liek Vettors trick or prank, which ever it was, it takes little skill to use, but there is absolutely no saves agaisnt it.. Shouldn't Danger sense or Dangersense/ traps or Dangersense/practical jokes be able to help you avoid them and make him fail?

Or did he manage to summon the old gods to hold the victim incapacitatated so he could perform his foul dead no matter the capabilites of the victim? It did seem slightly anoying to have no way to avoid it when he keept doing it pretty much every day.

At the very least I think it needs longer reuse.

Because I haved to realise that the Familiar Attribute Bonus don't help much if you change your familiar I came up with a new Background Idea.

Familiar: The Old Familiar Spell

In your young years you found a old stonetablet with some strange writings on it even if you didn't understand what was writen on it you could never forget it. But now that you have a familiar you finaly understand that it is some kind of magic that allows to strength you familiar for some time at a cost. This spell requires you to let your familiar drink some of your blood fresh from your body but in return its Attributes of Fitness , Intelligence and even Luck will be bosted for a full week.

Char Animal Handling +1

Feeding of the companion

On a Easy (3-4) Animal Handling Roll this spell increase Fit, Int and Luck of your Familiar by 1 on a more difficult roll (8?) all Attributes by +1 for 1 week. But using this spell will cost the player 1 vitality.

This spell is orginal invited by a Vampier but also works for Human mages. But for Humans it only works for theyr familiars while for Vampiers it works also on normal bats and wolfes

I think the Prodigy: Physical is severely underpowered, as it give only 2 point of Max Vitality and 1 point of Max Stress.

At the same cost, you could put a point in Fitness to get 2 points of both Max Vitality and Stress and associated benefits.

The Apprenticeship: Student at Arms give you three skill points AND 1 point of both Max Vitality and Stress.

It is... er, a bit of a trap option.