Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

isaborbg I don't know if you ever played a duel in year 1 but you need there 1 action for each pheme +1 to actual cast the spell so even a very fast dispel (2x Dispel pheme) need 3 actions.

Defensive magic pretty much have to be cast pre-combat. Then if you get afflicted with something particulary nasty I guess you could either try to cure it or beat your oponent before you fix it.

Well let's not forget out year 1 students are only novice in Magic.

I wouldn't be surprised that the "sword attack" is surprinsingly ineffective on Orsi for exemple... .

I just think that at some point using Magic (y3 ?) will be far more effective than normal weapon and the spell used more important than the speed of execution.

Altough I am sure that a mage who specialize in ehancing his duel "tricks" might get the edge on a more experienced but less duel focused mage (especially if he's not focused right Mjolnir ? :) ).

I think that in general power > speed in this case. (Sorry DBZ... :P )

Now the Fireball cast by a teen that study in books most of the time is also not as effective as the one from an experienced batlle mage. :P

The Question is, how will they make that "Fireball" more efficient. If it takes just as long to cast it and it does the same damage, or you have to add more phemes and it takes more time to do similara DPS, then something would be broken.

Either all spells needs a power and damage modifier or a speed increase to increase your power and the ability to cast more powerful multi pheme spells in faster sucession.

As I understand, spells get stronger and more advanced the more phemes you add. But it would be broken if each pheme takes one round to cast. Then you wouldn't really have gotten any better at it.

It's mostly a duel problem though, when you got a certain amount of turns until you get stabbed to death by a hundred stabs or plasted by twenty minor spells.

I can't wait to see how it's evolved in year 2's new system we heard about earlier. I mention it just to make sure they have considered it :) I'm sure they have, but just in case. Year 1's system was fairly limited and bulky. The best part in year one was that I could control my Familiar in a duel if it had any useful skills.

Main Adventure Pirates 08 nearly all Exits reward the skill you had to roll on despite the difficulty of the rolls are 16 to 18 and so it is to expect the player already have maxed the skill if he make the roll.

So I suggest the reward are reworked same for Main Adventure Pirates 09 the exit 03 and 04

There's a random event with Aaran where he asks what glamour would cause headaches and stuff. One of the exits is Mastery, but seeing as how you are not actually using Mastery but simply relying on knowledge of Mastery, I think the Exit should be changed to 'Theory of Mastery' instead. This would reduce confusion as to whether you are actually using the magic, and also fit what you are actually doing better.

There's a random event with Aaran where he asks what glamour would cause headaches and stuff. One of the exits is Mastery, but seeing as how you are not actually using Mastery but simply relying on knowledge of Mastery, I think the Exit should be changed to 'Theory of Mastery' instead. This would reduce confusion as to whether you are actually using the magic, and also fit what you are actually doing better.

Maybe it should give you a Theory of Master Skill Maximum increase if you succeed the roll. I don't know how hard that roll is. If it's not that hard then maybe a 1 increase to Theory of Mastery is enough.

But really, the practical experiences in certain fields of magic should be a good way to evolve your understanding and application of that knowledge. You did soem extra research with Aaran I believe.

It didn't seem like a hard roll, and honestly I don't think you really need to know a lot about Mastery to figure out that Glamour isn't capable of that sort of thing. A skill max increase isn't really justified in this case imo. a regular increase to a skill step is fine though.

For these two suggestions (thanks for the reminder, Schwarzbart!):

A good point! I will send that along.

Schwarzbart, on 26 Sept 2014 - 01:00 AM, said:snapback.png

Main Adventure Pirates 08 nearly all Exits reward the skill you had to roll on despite the difficulty of the rolls are 16 to 18 and so it is to expect the player already have maxed the skill if he make the roll.
So I suggest the reward are reworked same for Main Adventure Pirates 09 the exit 03 and 04

That doesn't make very much sense, I agree- I'll point it out! :)

Legate, I've been mulling on this for a while and need to air it out now.

Although I'm steeled for Y2's allegedly eventual arrival, I feel I need to constructively nag at you. Please forgive me! DLC 16 was a huge help in waiting by going for a playthrough or two, and 17 will also be good for that also, surely. It's just that we've got Y1 down to the point that most of our interest is in breaking the game even further. I just did a no-holds-barred playthrough doing everything important to me and also getting a 10 in the proscribed arts, while getting perfect attendance! Schwarzbart at the bare minimum has a character set up to become a deity by Y5. ;) If I chose the dark side of class skipping who knows what might happen!? I think we may be the most visible cases, but surely not the only ones.

Worse still, we haven't got much left to discuss... Seeing as how the vast amount of stuff we speculate on is [redacted] and cannot be answered by you until at least another major release, I've been reduced to asking questions on things I have since forgot about having asked and asked about it again.

If I may say so, I think it may be best if you approach the wait for future years a bit differently than you have for Y2. I think it's fair to say you were a tad bit ambitious on your plans (nothing wrong with that either) but your initial plans involved only a 2 year or so wait, and you have tried to follow your plans based on that even though the timeframe has, erhm, stretched out a bit. And by that I mean I think Phillip Hauck is modeled after someone on the team. :)

The wait really became noticeably... harder for me at about the DLC 14-15 mark, which is I think about the time BCS fell off it's own timeline and started going around like a chicken with its head cut off, (Pun partially intended) because I'll wager none to few contingencies were set up for that, and so the amount of material you had relegated to DLC release dried up and so we've had to endure some serious droughts in waiting. (I know the reasons why, of course. You'd never get Y2 done if you still did DLC every month as you more or less did in the first year of Y1.)

I'm a diehard fan now so you've got me hooked with Academagia regardless, but realistically a lot of other people probably could use a little reminding that you guys exist, lest they forget. Please plan for a longer wait between years so that if worst comes to worst you don't go from one DLC a month to suddenly going about 17 months inbetween. (Granted there was a CP3 oasis inbetween that valley of death, thankfully)

Anyway, I love you guys, just give us MOAR progress feedback. It really, really realy helps if we could at least get a snippet every quarter or so. It doesn't even have to be a lot. Maybe a small article written like a newspaper clipping of what's going on in the setting to help generate discussion in the forum. Maybe even subtly add events in there, where the reprecussions of which won't be felt for players until y4 or 5, so we can then dig up these old reports and giggle at how clever you were. :)

Just something to keep in mind.

Just my two cents.

Just.... Stop staring at me like that! :(

The problem is, I'm convinced a playthrough of y2 with a character of that level will be... Too easy/not fun. I'd hate to play an adventure geared for such a char with one of my decidedly awesome-but-mortal characters, too.

Makes one wonder why they even hold classes. All they really need to do at the school is make sure the kids haven't been eaten every day.

Look at the other Academagia students, I'm sure class is good for them. The "godlike" gifted PC's are just anomalies. Few students get the same chance to persue perfection... Whatever that might be.

Also, the "Godlike" characters are benefitting from several years of collective experience on how to minmax everything. Just imagive if you did your first class ten times over, eventualy you would be pretty good at gettign thigns right. Knowing what's going on, and what you need also helps. You know what will happen and you maximise your gains and needed stats accordingly.

Seriously though, I wonder how the "parrents" will react, their kid has grown so much in so many ways...

Yeah, it makes me curious, because I know it's been said that Y2 will support a wide variety of chars. just how wide a range are we talking about because I'd like to know. I had to give up on my ideal of a no-save playthrough to get my best chars. I don't want the median to rise too much because of crazy god-levels of excellence.

imagive if you did your first class ten times over, eventualy you would be pretty good at gettign thigns right

Okay, campers, rise and shine…Don’t forget your booties because it’s cold out there today.

It’s cold out there every day. What is this, Miami Beach?

Not hardly. You can expect hazardous travel later with that blizzard thing.

“That blizzard thing”? Here’s the report. The National Weather Service is calling for a big blizzard thing.

They are. But there’s another reason why today is especially exciting. Especially cold.

The big question on everybody’s lips- On their chapped lips.

Do you think Phil will come out and see his shadow?

- Punxsutawney Phil. – That’s right, woodchuck chuckers.

It’s Groundhog Day!

Well then, I guess most of my almost godlike characters... most likely picked the harder paths by getting involved in a lot of things and a lot of adventures.

While my earlier characters likely are getting away with an easy experience because they didn't attract too much attention...

Challenges though, are fun.

The problem is, I'm convinced a playthrough of y2 with a character of that level will be... Too easy/not fun. I'd hate to play an adventure geared for such a char with one of my decidedly awesome-but-mortal characters, too.

You say that, but some of the adventures I did in Kaliri weren't slam-dunks for those guys, so the DC's on some ae fairly insane already - I suspect that barring heavy use of magic some final stages are very difficult to pass.