Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

There's definite imperfections to at least first year Glamours that can be noticed. I believe Carmine Sturzo's adventure has one example (Glamours shimmer when you look at them from different angles) and To the Entrance has another (Glamours set to show a routine repeat that routine perfectly, even when what it's showing isn't always exactly the same).

Larry and I discussed Golems before the beta while he was asking us to pitch him ideas for magic items, we eventually agreed that you'd need far too many phemes for it to be possible for it to cover all the basic properties of a student - but I think that there was a 5-pheme per spell limit at that point. If you're wondering, my ideas didn't get in (I pitched a "Jerk-box", a trapped version of a juke-box for pranksters and can't remember the rest)

Larry and I discussed Golems before the beta while he was asking us to pitch him ideas for magic items, we eventually agreed that you'd need far too many phemes for it to be possible for it to cover all the basic properties of a student - but I think that there was a 5-pheme per spell limit at that point. If you're wondering, my ideas didn't get in (I pitched a "Jerk-box", a trapped version of a juke-box for pranksters and can't remember the rest)

The player can already awaken some kind of golem trough the BattleMace adventure. So it can't be to difficult to make a golem when live like figures that are produced in mass can aweaken to live with a simple colouring revision spell. I have big doubts the producer of the Battle Mace Figures are using illegal Mastery or Gate magic in the production and the player for sure don't use this magic either so there is a way to create intelligence without mastery and gate magic.

Suggestion

Can we get a follow up for the Battle Mace adventure where the player try to find out what combination made it possible that his Battle Mace figures got alive so he can reproduce it from base materials together with enchant magic (aka learning how to make golem without resort to mastery or gate magic).

I was wondering if there was a big difference between doing it deliberately and doing it accidentally, but then remembered that in the adventure the player does animate some deliberately with the tinker knights and they help the player to trap cogspring. I'm guessing that the argument will come back that those figurines were tiny so easier to enchant :rolleyes:

I think the explanation was that the magic inside those figurines had reached critical mass. And you added the last few touches of phemes and magic nessesary.

Though I'm not sure it's a good thing if they gain a will of their own and start rebelling like that, seems like a lot of trouble.

Perhaps the same thing could happen in year two even if you desided to paint them this time. Perhaps you decide to magically enhance your pieces. Same thing happens leading you to some kind of followup and exploration of that type of enchantments.

Personally I liked the adventure where you handpaint your figures and part take in the tournament, better. I wouldn't want to miss out on a followup or that type of discovery.

Still, magical accidents and discoveries that you can learn from are fun.

I was wondering if there was a big difference between doing it deliberately and doing it accidentally, but then remembered that in the adventure the player does animate some deliberately with the tinker knights and they help the player to trap cogspring. I'm guessing that the argument will come back that those figurines were tiny so easier to enchant :rolleyes:

even if the progress is only possible on tiny tin figures its still a huge step forward in creating golems again. And who knows maybe even end in a breakthrough for other golems. At last its something that sure grant you a year 5 Artifice focus (even better if you manage it earlier as you then just have to write your studies into a research paper in year 5 ^^).

even if the progress is only possible on tiny tin figures its still a huge step forward in creating golems again. And who knows maybe even end in a breakthrough for other golems. At last its something that sure grant you a year 5 Artifice focus (even better if you manage it earlier as you then just have to write your studies into a research paper in year 5 ^^).

One of my Students Papers:

Theoretical paper on World Conquest; Input welcome.

Oh, wait, might not sound magical enough to get it approved as a research paper at the Academagia?

Theoretical paper on World Conquest through applied magic and scheming.

Professor: Why is this good, or even useful Research?

Student: It could be useful in identifying the methods and counters to Wizards who have gone on mad powergrabbing quests. Perhaps you got some suggestions or suggestions on additional material I could research?

• 1 month later...

Can we get a official mod that disable some year 1 chars (maybe the one from Mika) so that this player char can see new students in year 2?

Especial for the students from Mika you already have to bring some explanation why they where not in year 1 for older version games.

(Some of the Students from Mika would make great candidates for taking a extra round of year 2)

I'm not sure how many I have, maybe 6-7 versions of the same character with differing stats and also a random different char or two.

Definately, I would like to see the import tool. Is it going to tell us the review of these characters after converting or is that only after we load them into Y2?

Will it be possible to look my familiar over aswell?

Also, I hope my Familiar will have penned down vitality and stress points so I can keep track of it. Hopefully the Familiar will be able to regenerate those points aswell.

I worked on a few of my Hawks ;) I hope it stays awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

There is one thing I'm wondering about, how do these phemes and Palettes work?

You draw the pheme on a palette? Or in the air? Ground?

Are the phemes completely used up once the spell is cast? Or could they be reactivated in case you want to cast the same spell? Do you have to redraw them? It seems like you have to redraw them every time.

Still wondering... Also the Palette skill says it's beneficial for the casters overall magical skills to have a good palette skill. The Palettes skill is under Enchanting, least for year 1.

Does it somehow affect your number of phemes or how many phemes you're skilled at tying up together? how does it work?

Oans adventure series makes it sound like you draw them in the air and a faint magical outlining is created. Something like that.

Some of these things and skills seems to need a better description or explanation. So people know what they're improving ;)

Maybe your palette skill is the skill of imagining the medium on which you're drawing your phemes?

Suggestion: Since Mastery has Synchronicity as a sub variant of Mastery that's less illegal due to it's difference in function and less hostile application. Perhaps we could have a Gates variant?

Like "Layline Convergence" or "Bonded Gates", they would requier a physical connection to the object you're summoning or teleporting to. Perhaps a piece of the creature or a structure you're teleporting/gating to. Perhaps even bearing an enchantment to strengthen the bond between the two parts. It wouldn't technically be illegal but most people wouldn't understand or know the difference since people havn't heard of it.

In essence it would be a safe although very limited version of Gates, perhaps known to only a few. If you want to summon creatures to fight for you or entertain you then they would have to be your pets already and you would need bonded material to summon them safely without side effects. You would also have to maintain a menagerie or a park where they can live safely.

I can see it being done to your familiar easily, handy if your friend falls down a well or gets stuck in a trunk and falls off an island edge. Or if you simply need the company and you have been separated somehow.

Having one or a few safe teleport locations could be very useful if you get into trouble or mortal danger. At the same time it wouldn't allow you to summon anything you want or anything at random or go anywhere you want, at least not safely, then it would be Gates which is unreliable and dangerous.

To others it might seem like you have mastered safe and stable gates, while you're merely manipulating those few Laylines that are stuck to you.

I remember there was this creature you found that was eating books and if you captured it and went looking for it's owner you would learn that it's owner could teleport the creature with ease. This would be a good explanation to that ability to teleport things nonchalantly without any fear or worry when physically putting the pet in it's cage wouldn't have seemed that much harder.

That would be a very cool skill, it could also be connected to a very "interesting" adventure. Perhaps an encounter with one of those few Gates wizards that the authorities don't bother to chase down. Like maybe that wizard with that book eating creature of a Pet.

To learn it I guess you would need Research skills, Be very good at Enchanting stuff if that's a required component, and have very good gates skills to grasp the basics of what you're doing. Aswell as doing an Adventure that leads you to this rare magic. Or a random event that gives you a primer for researching it.