Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

I personal would say that the gastric acid will destroy the black sand and its anti magic properties.

The larger problem I see is if someone get a grain into the lungs.

But even a grain into the hairs could be horrible given the personal hygiene of this time.

Also very good points.

Suggestion:

Limit the amount of grains that can "survive" within a two meter radius of each other.

That would make it a bother to try and bring more than one grain from that place sucessfully and it would make them negate each other if more than one inhabits the same area. Inactive grains might still be a useful alchemical component for something else and might litter the area, while the active ones are evenly spaced at a maximum radius around the nesting area.

Identifying the active ones might require some skill though, which might also explain why any kid from the streets isn't able to collect one if they heard about it. Either you need the Magical appraisal skill from the enchantment skill tree, or a glamour spell that makes the inactive ones glow and an observation roll to find one that doesn't glow.

Or 3. Buy some "Pixie dust" from an alchemist for 350pims..... Just throw it into the air over the spilling and the dust will be drawn to the active ones and then get vaporized with a fading ghostly glow marking the active grain.

One of those grains could still be an interesting component in artifacting. It wouldn't affect enchantments would it? It would be overpowered if it would break every enchanted item it comes into contact with.

I think you could use it to create a magical shield, even if I would imagine it would be very un-fashionable in this era.

Or perhaps a parrydagger with the ability to work as a superior anti-magic parrying tool. The artifact would then re-channel the effect into a more area specific anti-magic field localized to it's blade.

That would limit the number of grains in circulation, some would even get destroyed in two people with one acidentally gets to close unknowingly and the creation of artifacts would also be limited by the bother of having to get a grain every time and the skill required to sucessfully craft such an artifact. Nevermind knowing about the possibility to begin with.

Once encased into a working artefact they would be safe unless active parts of such artefacts touch each other, then they would both break.

That could open up an alternate way of defeating a villain with one of those things, you throw one of those items at their secret weapon or nudge it against it and then they are disarmed of their primary defensive weapon.

Let's say you craft one of these items, then a few days later you run across the Legate or a Professor battling a Rogue wizard using one such item to defend against the professors magic. You realise what it is and got a few choices,

1. Call for help

2. Get into a fight that's over your head... Help the Professor win but get sent to the infirmary for a week.... Get a lecture on safety and how reckless you were.

3. Sacrifise your own creation(you can make another it just takes some work, time and effort), destroy the rogue wizards defensive tool wich completely catches him/her off-guard and grants the now very grateful professor an easy victory.

That should limit the amount and limit the usefulness of sending peasants to find active grains, unless you're prepared to waste large quantities of pixie dust for them to find it.

Warning: Blacksand works as a potent poison on Pixies! Don't bring any Pixie familiars or pets/friends, accidents are likely.

I like the black sand idea a lot, but seeing as it's the most potent and special substance of it's type, it would require limiting factors, like cost, inconveniences, difficulty to handle and rarity and low supply.

Maybe it should be illegal to handle without proper alchemy/artefacter licences. Kind of like stunberries.

When your character completes an adventure or event they tend to gain a stat increase or skill or a trinket sometimes more than one thing. Shouldn't the familiar be able to gain a skill or a similar award when doing the familiar adventures? The Hawk has an extensive adventure where the wizard isn't involved unless it asks the wizard for help casting an Astrology spell. Or maybe it gained a skill point but I missed it in the daily report..

Maybe, familiar events that can popup? Might be harder given the amount of different familiars I guess.

albert;

It's a nice idea, actually- I'll point that out to the Team! Probably Familiar Events, as they exist for the Player, would require too much writing, but I'll certainly ask.

Even if they are fewer in number, they would be an interesting change of pace.

1. RE Negation 5 could...maybe use some more text. As is it's literally just a single sentence long.

2. Tacito's Clique ability Tattle should be replaced with something that actually does something. At least I remember hearing...somewhere that NPC students can't get reprimanded, which would explain why a dozen attempts to use Tattle (on myself or NPC students) all failed.

1. RE Negation 5 could...maybe use some more text. As is it's literally just a single sentence long.

2. Tacito's Clique ability Tattle should be replaced with something that actually does something. At least I remember hearing...somewhere that NPC students can't get reprimanded, which would explain why a dozen attempts to use Tattle (on myself or NPC students) all failed.

I hope they can get reprimanded. If not I hope it will happen in Y2.

I personal think this Re is ok. But if one want to extend it then I might change it to this:

"During Negation class Professor [instructor]Instructor/Class/Selection of Class/Negation asks you to defend against a spell giving you boils.

Before you only half of the class have succeeded while the other half are sitting with their heads in their hands.

Professor [instructor]Instructor/Class/Selection of Class/Negation shouts at you, "Come on now, if you've read your homework assignment, this should be no problem."

She raises her wand and draws the glyph."

From the success and failure text the part of the text I added to Main text then have to be removed.

Also please fix the Forum its annoying to remove all the <br> code with a edit

I'm guessing those boils were either Glamours or a Revision... The later being the most evil type. Glamour seems the most reasonable.

How do you use Negation to counter a sell being cast if you havn't precast a defensive spell? some kind of Negation based deflection? Or did you actualy manage to cast a potent enough defensive spell faster than the time it took the professor to finish the spell she had already started?

I find Negation and these magical defences interesting, but I still don't understand how it works or the options available.

I remember a few lore snippets but I'm not sure it made sense to several of the events and adventures where you used Negation for a swift reactive defence.

Schwarzbart;

They just finished up the Achievements testing for Scheherazade, so I don't think it will be too much longer. Some art is still pending for the new story, I believe. I'm not sure that they are going to do Trading Cards, though- they want to, but it seems a little difficult.

Academagia Y1 for Steam is next, and then it's back to Y2.

You might want to omit any and all references to 'Year One' or implications that there will be sequels for a steam release. One of the biggest selling points for me getting Academagia was that the story would continue and now it's the biggest reason why I'm not inclined do buy anything else. If there really are the promised number of Years then great, I will be overjoyed because I still love playing what I have. If my suspicions are correct and it doesn't happen, then least there isn't anything to be hung up on.

Its not much the question if we ever get up to year 5 its more if we live trough it to see the end with 5 year + between each release.

(Or if we then still want to play chars we started 20 years ago)

Given the current records of BCS I suspect we see year 5 at earliest end of 2030 and that's only if we really get year 2 this year.