Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

Oh, just remembered this bit-Gates should have a couple adventures linked to knowing it in Year 2(or maybe later, don't know how good you have to be at Gates to travel between worlds) or something-I'm thinking of the bits of Gates lore regarding using it to access other worlds/dimensions. You can do basically anything when writing adventures in other dimensions. Gates is probably the coolest sphere of magic in the game. Also, that bit at the end of the year where you can say that Gates is the best magic, and it shouldn't be proscribed, etc. etc. ? I'd like to see stuff regarding making Gates...unproscribed make it into future years. Benevolent Gates wizard is a pretty interesting route to take. Or it should be, but Year 1 doesn't have a lot of use for Gates.

it would be nice if we can choose our Familiar also as Spell Target for non Hostile Spells that can cast on other persons.

A orther feature that would be nice to have is that the Prices in the shop (especial what you get if you sell something) is adjusted by Negotiate. Because as it is right now a player can sell a item and get it back for the same price but identivied.

With reference to the enchant subskills not raising the parent skill past 10, I've also run into this bug in a different game with Calligraphy, Dialectic and Grammar. All the skills in question were class skills, perhaps that has something to do with it. The games were both patch 5 (finishing my last patch 5 game before working on patch 6 stuff).

Also, the reward for getting your forgery skill to 11 was... not what I expected. Well done. :)

Okay, just finished the above mentioned patch 5 game; kind of. The character was suspended during the last month (and never got unsuspended). Now this character (like a lot of my characters) has never missed a single class, never done a single adventure, and generally only got into trouble on the wrong side of random events. But while researching to unlock the eleventh skill point for class skills, he got beaucoup detentions. I'm vaguely aware that the research skill location changes with the subject being researched, but was it really intended to get students in trouble who only only there for research?

It would be nice if Temporary Boost in Study can push a study beyond 10 so that Abilitys like Courtenay's Prediction are still usefull when you maxed your Studys.

Edit 1: The Adventure Spy School it would be nice if the Follow him option would be Espionage instead of Spy. I personal think its bad to have only 2 different exits and both reqiure the same skill.

Any hope for an UI evolution?

Even keeping the 800*600 limitation there are still plenty of room for improvements.

Most of the upper tier of the screen is wasted for whatever aesthetic purpose and some room can be gained on left and right margins.

While i like this game, it's also one of the rare ones that really hurts my eyes because font is too small.

This game remember me Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble! in a more ambitious way but with less artistic resources.

McFungos;

Unfortunately, we won't be able to evolve the UI in Year 1, but Year 2 will be a scaling UI and have a lot more use depending on your screensize. In the mean time, you can change the font size in Stories by pressing the + or - keys on your numpad. Additionally, we are looking at the ability to allow the game to use higher default text sizes (125%)

Thanks!

Very Last Day:

1. This should be in red or something with a warning to save your character.

2. Rather than choosing Morning, Afternoon & Evening actions allow the student to pick three NPCs they want to run into.

3. If not that, then show the results of that last day before final credits. At this point I don't know if it even matters what I select for my last day.

4. Kudos on thinking of two clique members to visit instead of random students (and for the random encounters to be with students you're actually friends with).

5. If you do have a rival, maybe provide an encounter with your lowest (one of the) NPC relationship.

6. It would be nice to do something/think of your familiar.

:D I miss my character!

Mumbles;

For #1, this is a good idea.

For #2, that is fantastic. Maybe also blended into #5. It won't be something we can do rapidly, but it's an excellent suggestion.

For #3, another Academagian has requested and overall statistics screen at the end of the game, during which the feedback of the results of the day could appear. We'll consider it.

For #6, you mean, in addition to the Stage related to Familiars in the End Story? Perhaps something akin to #2.

Thanks!

I would like it if Lore, Spells, and Phemes each got their own "Book" that can be searched, have bookmarks for specific sections (Eg, Spellbook Incantations). I am thinking something similar to Alpha Centauri's databanks, Civilization's Civilopedia, and Age of Wonder: Shadow Magic's spellbooks. Having these books to be full-screen or nearly full-screen would also help by reducing the use of scrolling, since more information can be shown.

Lorebook

Spellbook

Phymebook

Inventory management could also use tabs for storing and sorting items, similar to what Pokemon uses, which has 1 backpack for storing items, but has several different pockets for specific types. The dorm room could have several different containers, such as Bookshelf for books, Wardrobe for clothing, Cabinet for weapons/shields/wands, the Desk for Misc, and so on. Currently, not all items have icons to quickly indicate what kind of item they are (being green pouches), and in future iterations of Academagia, the players may possess a considerable amount of inventory over the years.

Knapsack = Current inventory

Room = Put items here for them to be placed into appropriate container when you leave the inventory screen. Basically the ground in other RPGs.

Bookshelf = Books

Cabinet = Weapons, Shields, Wands

Desk = Miscellaneous (Show tickets, reminder sheets, glasses, ect)

Wardrobe = Clothing, gloves, boots.

Chest = Treasure?

Potion Case = Potions

Come to think of it, I feel it would be nice if Trial and Error, Consult with Artifact Consulars(?) would only allow unidentified items, rather than all items. I feel it adds extra workload to the player, since one has to do some backtracking, go into inventory, find out which items are not known, memorize them, and then select them. :D

Sabin;

Thanks for the suggestions!

We are working on better organization of Lores, Spells and Phemes, including some ways to sort them. I don't think we'll be able to implement a true search prior to Year 2, however.

Speaking of Year 2- I think you will enjoy how your dorm room and general Inventory is handled in the sequel. :D

As to Trial and Error and other Identification style Abilities, we are working on better constraints here- no ETA yet, however.

Thanks again!

Mumbles;

For #1, this is a good idea.

For #2, that is fantastic. Maybe also blended into #5. It won't be something we can do rapidly, but it's an excellent suggestion.

For #3, another Academagian has requested and overall statistics screen at the end of the game, during which the feedback of the results of the day could appear. We'll consider it.

For #6, you mean, in addition to the Stage related to Familiars in the End Story? Perhaps something akin to #2.

Thanks!

I don't remember anything about my familiar. Said what skill I increased most, went by the garden, thought about what I'd do over the summer, rescued random student. Did I blink too fast?

#3 I like the other person's suggestion better.

Mumbles;

There is a portion of the final Day that involves your Familiar going (briefly) missing. It's not very complex, but an Exit does exist for each Familiar in the game (including now Pamela).

I ran through this again. I have most grown skill, what will you do for summer, favorite class, help misc. student after which the ending credits play. No familiar.