Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

Mumbles;

Nothing leaps out at me from the content. I will pm you for more details.

I replied too soon and now the forum won't let me PM you again. Not only was I missing the familiar portion, but everything after it (familiar, best magic and dorm room. BTW, dorm room had random people my character wasn't friendly with at all. Then again, I don't think Phillipe should ever show up as a friend unless you have an 8 or above relationship! :D ). This time, the game ended right after "miss Academagia."

Could an alternative to numpad + and - be implemented for font scaling? I play on a laptop with no numpad, and while I don't personally feel like I need to change the font size, I'm sure that there's a non-zero number of people with no numpad who would like to scale their font.

Hi Jazerus, there is currently an alternative:

11) Use of the left/right arrow keys now decreases/increases font size, respectively, in addition to the Numpad -/+

Source thread

:D

About UI : Your stats, your level in all of your class and your study levels should always be visible.

I made a screenshot.

academagiaui.jpg

You would come with better graphics (maybe even nice constellation of stars, and you have as many stars as your stat. For instance fitness would be a constellation of 9 stars with only 2 highlighted - your actual stat)

McFungos;

The issues that you mentioned sound as though you have an older version of the game client, as both of those issues were corrected in earlier Patches (although an issue with the Sphinx and Familiar Skills still exists.) I will pm you for details.

Vieux Chat;

Thanks for the work on preparing this! In Year 1 it is not likely we'll be able to make such a significant change to the UI- but for Year 2 it's a great suggestion.

Thanks!

Legate Sphinx and Research also still exist (patch 6). If this is no longer on your Bug list then please add it again. (I think you can check it on my last save I send because I never used Research there)

Edit: Can it be that there are mor forbinden Schools in later Years then just master and Gate? because Right now I missing a School about the Liveforce (some my call it Necromancy) in the game ;) .

Hello. You made a nice game, and an interesting lore, and i like game mechanics too so far. However, UI really needs some work. It's one of the most frequent problems in just about any complex game. Thankfully, an interesting content makes that particular game fun anyway, but i think UI is the single weakest point of that game (2nd one is probably documentation, but i guess it's intentional). And my eyes hurt because of that small font.

Anyway, what can be improved:

1) Information about all Rolls: In all descriptions, inform the player about the current value of their skills/attributes. Say, "Intelligence/Glamour roll v. 4" should be "Intelligence(4)/Glamour(10) roll v. 4".

2) Action location in "Confirmation orders" - locations that give a bonus to your current action should be sorted to the top of the page. A risky places where you are not supposed to be should be marked as well (say, red font or an asterisk). It will be even more useful if a bonus will be listed near the name of the location.

3) Cast Spell action - "Add Phemes" is a nightmare to use, and only half of the last Pheme in the list is shown on screen. Well, i guess we're supposed to remember all phemes, what they do and what are their opposites, but i think it's too hard to use. At least show more spells/phemes on screen at a time and color-code the most important things in the description of the pheme/spell (effects, duration, difficulty etc.).

It's impossible to scroll a pheme description there (pheme can't be selected so it shows skill details instead of pheme details when i'm moving a mouse cursor to a details window so to scroll a description).

Some way to filter the Spells/Phemes that affect the thing i want to boost will be REALLY convenient.

4) Consult Artifact Registry action should show only unidentified items.

5) Parent Skill, Parent Skill Training Level and Sub-skill Training Level in Sub-skill description: When you train a sub-skill, in daily results you get a link to a sub-skill description with text "Needed for next level: X of Y", but you don't see anything else, and that's very inconvenient (and it's important because training is one of the most frequently used actions).

So, not only you need to do extra actions so to know the current level of the newly trained skill, but you need to find it somehow in the list of spells and abilities, and for that you need to remember a parent skill for that sub-skill, or check all parent skills one at a time. It's especially frustrating for a new randomy accquired sub-skills, because you have no way to know what's the parent skill is at all, and the only thing you can do is to check all parent skills.

It will be better if a Sub-skill decription will say:

- Danger sense

- Parent Skill: Ambush (5)

- Level 6, Needed for next level: 1 of 2

instead of just

- Danger sense

- Needed for next level: 1 of 2

6) Tooltips for skills and attributes: When you mouseover a skill, sub-skill or an attribute, it will be very useful if it will list:

- base level of the skill/sub-skill/attribute

- current level of the skill/sub-skill/attribute

- all currently working modifiers (spells, abilites, moods, locations, clique bonuses etc.) (with magnitude and duration left)

- all possible modifiers available to character (spells, phemes, abilities, locations etc.) that can be used to boost that skill/ability

- for skills: sub-skill levels and their modifiers

- for sub-skills: parent skill

First 3 options are at least as old as Master of Orion 2 TBS, and i saw 4th one in some mods for Civlilization 4 - a very useful option as well.

Some of that may be inconvenient for roleplayers i guess (especially color-coding in descriptions), so maybe it should be just an option. But really, when you have like 100 Phemes, you don't really want to read a full text of all their descriptions once again to find the one you really want. I tried to cast my first spell after like 4 months of ingame time, and a single look at the list of Phemes made me regret it.

Anyway, i just started playing so maybe i'll have more ideas later. I didn't explore many options of the game yet.

Ellestar;

Thanks for the feedback!

First of all, in case you are not aware, you can increase the font size of the story and right-hand window by using the +/- keys on the Numpad, or the left/right arrow keys.

1) Information about all Rolls: In all descriptions, inform the player about the current value of their skills/attributes. Say, "Intelligence/Glamour roll v. 4" should be "Intelligence(4)/Glamour(10) roll v. 4".

This is a new suggestion, and it's a good one. Right now, Descriptions are not generated procedurally, but if we make the change to do it this way, we'll put your values in. Year 2 will do this natively, though.

2) Action location in "Confirmation orders" - locations that give a bonus to your current action should be sorted to the top of the page. A risky places where you are not supposed to be should be marked as well (say, red font or an asterisk). It will be even more useful if a bonus will be listed near the name of the location.

We are looking at a variety of ways to allow the Player to sort and/or make easy decision about Locations and several other entities. We haven't yet made a decision on this, though.

3) Cast Spell action - "Add Phemes" is a nightmare to use, and only half of the last Pheme in the list is shown on screen. Well, i guess we're supposed to remember all phemes, what they do and what are their opposites, but i think it's too hard to use. At least show more spells/phemes on screen at a time and color-code the most important things in the description of the pheme/spell (effects, duration, difficulty etc.).

We are definitely looking at ways to improve how Phemes are added in Year 1, and this falls under the sorting improvements we are working on as well.

4) Consult Artifact Registry action should show only unidentified items.

Another Academagian has requested this, and we'll try to implement it if we can.

5) Parent Skill, Parent Skill Training Level and Sub-skill Training Level in Sub-skill description: When you train a sub-skill, in daily results you get a link to a sub-skill description with text "Needed for next level: X of Y", but you don't see anything else, and that's very inconvenient (and it's important because training is one of the most frequently used actions).

Other Academagians have requested that Parent Skill appear in the Skill Description- this will be incorporated in DLC 2 (although without the level of the Parent Skill, for the reasons noted above.)

6) Tooltips for skills and attributes: When you mouseover a skill, sub-skill or an attribute, it will be very useful if it will list:

- base level of the skill/sub-skill/attribute

- current level of the skill/sub-skill/attribute

- all currently working modifiers (spells, abilites, moods, locations, clique bonuses etc.) (with magnitude and duration left)

- all possible modifiers available to character (spells, phemes, abilities, locations etc.) that can be used to boost that skill/ability

- for skills: sub-skill levels and their modifiers

- for sub-skills: parent skill

Some of these will be present in Patch 7; others will be added in time.

...thanks, and keep the suggestions coming! ;)

A little thing annoy me : I chewed a sweet. And that took me a whole time slot O_o

Some items shouldn't use a time slot, you should be able to "use" them on the inventory frame. I know that some items like workstation need more time, but spending a time slot for some items doesn't make sense at all.

Mumbles;

That's the correct ending (and I agree about Philippe!)

The problem was that the Enchant Exit is missing its Continuances. This will be corrected in DLC 2. :)

Thanks again!

I figured that was the case when Music took me through everything. I'm glad the familiar didn't get slighted. There was one thing on the Familiar portion. It mentions another familiar (friend, I think). When I clicked on the name of that familiar, all I got was the type of critter it was. I'd kind of like to have seen who it belonged to.

A little thing annoy me : I chewed a sweet. And that took me a whole time slot O_o

Some items shouldn't use a time slot, you should be able to "use" them on the inventory frame. I know that some items like workstation need more time, but spending a time slot for some items doesn't make sense at all.

Hey, they were caramels! Very. Chewy. Caramels! :)

It's too bad we can't add the caramels to our head or something and have them get used that way.