Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

Hm... or maybe the cards could be Glamour based. And we can all joke that it's like Yu-Gi-Oh. Students fight 'illusion' matches where ids would call up animals/mystical creatures against one another. Teachers find it cute (though of course have to constantly keep banning it from being played in the great hall and telling kids to stop trading cards in class, darnit!): it's a way for kids to practice magic in a safe organized way (persuasively, there are phemes on the cards that the kid then traces with their wand to produce the 'glamour'), and it's making students who don't even take Glamour more interested in the subject and practicing it. What's not to like?

But then an adventure could be about your character finding a card mixed in their deck then isn't actually a focus for a Glamour, it's actually focus for a Gate magic, and thus you accidently summon something scary rather then just make an illusion and then you need to cover it up and then you find the secret history of the game where it was all Gates magic and the game has been revisioned in an effort to gain Gates Magic recognition again as slowly more and more decks get the real 'Gate' cards planted in them and your character has to make the choice of trying to get this fun game banned, trying to track down the source and stop the gate-seeding so it's all just glamours and fun again, or going along with the plan and trying to make Gates once again viable and...

...uh.

Suggestion: I think this board should have a Mastery effect that makes me clean, rather then plot.

But then an adventure could be about your character finding a card mixed in their deck then isn't actually a focus for a Glamour, it's actually focus for a Gate magic, and thus you accidently summon something scary rather then just make an illusion and then you need to cover it up and then you find the secret history of the game where it was all Gates magic and the game has been revisioned in an effort to gain Gates Magic recognition again as slowly more and more decks get the real 'Gate' cards planted in them and your character has to make the choice of trying to get this fun game banned, trying to track down the source and stop the gate-seeding so it's all just glamours and fun again, or going along with the plan and trying to make Gates once again viable and...

...uh.

Suggestion: I think this board should have a Mastery effect that makes me clean, rather then plot.

Right. *Cast Stupidity on Mikka*

I think one of the problem is that "making Gates viable" is too soon for Year 1 and 2, actually. And whoever that produce the cards will need to be powerful or have someone powerful behind them - or else, something simple like Briardi strolling by would kind of cut short the whole adventure. But too powerful, and any failure on your character's part would make the whole thing spin out of control.

...And there's Euneycia.

I just made some thinking along the line of how the Cards could work. How about the cards work kind of like permanent Spell Scrolls with the Pheme and Pallete fixed into the card and the text for the word are spoken by a wizzard who is powerfull enough to activate them.

Edit: When the team look at the Tower of Cold Forge Adventure already here are some sugestions for this frome me ^^

First of all why is this great sword of kush reward nearly at the start and then no real reward for all the later steps?

Then why cant the player decide to continue to fight the next monster if he whant? Because Step 4 and 5 have leave Exits I think it was intended to be direct continued starting with step 3 and only step 6 to be seperat.

I think it could be more complicated than that, depending on what exact spell is being cast. For example, how would a mage direct a Fireball spell to the right location and detonate appropriately? One way may be to add an telepathic component to the spell scroll so that the user can visualize the necessary directions, but I think that could mark up the price of the scroll a bit. An simpler method might be to create an somewhat translucent scroll, with the center of it having the correct seals painted into the scroll. This seal could be used as an focus for amplifying the power of the spell and concentrating it, but could serve as a sort of bullseye so that the caster could aim the fireball. Other scrolls could use similar tricks of calligraphy for aiding their users in being wielded correctly and to improve their effects. Good calligraphy seems like the sort of skill that is key to creating effective rituals, scrolls, or being the architect of relatively "fixed" means of casting magic. Concerning the cards themselves, I like how Scharzbart laid out how practitioners of Gate Magic could subtly influence future generations of mages.

Heh, I am not trying to be a spoilsport - I enjoy trying to think how people would actually use and design their equipment if they practiced magic. :)

EDIT: My post was made before Schwarzbart's edit.

I think in the case of the cardgame, it would be important for the illusions to be highly interactive and "intelligent", so that players can start forming a bond with their cards. This would help with making players attached to their cards, lending importance to playing the game and making it harder to become disinterested. As an result, that should help with selling cards, and give players a basis to form relationships when they come into contact with Gate Cards. Unfortunately, this would undoubtedly make cards expensive to produce and difficult to sell, unless there is something to compensate. Here is some ideas:

1) The cards may be sold at a loss. Raising an generation of mages that do not mind Gate Magic may be worth it.

2) Most cards are made of cheap material, and tend to be destroyed when a card is "killed" by another. This sells more cards, and uses their weak composition to ensure this. Existing cards may be Revisioned by game stores to be more permanent by shop keepers, for players who are particularly attached to a card.

3) Production of cards is backed by wealthy Gate wizards, or possibly foreign nations that want to create a generation of gate mages that may look upon would-be conquerors with relief, since hiding may not be required any longer.

4) There are educational programs at various wizardry academies that involve the creation of goods to be sold to the public. Cards would require Glamour, Enchant, Material Knowledge, Aesthetics, Art, and Calligraphy ability at the least, so I think there could be quite a bit to be learned from this. However, I don't think students could possibly create the cards in the quantity required. Perhaps these cards could be some form of "booster" packs that give an random set of cards: they could be excellent, or downright terrible depending on the students that made them. This system would also help lend itself to disguising those who created Gate Cards, since the creators of these cards are not officially listed, so as to protect student anonymity - including the player's.

5) The creation of an unofficial gambling league. Creating new ways for establishments to milk money from newcomers would undoubtedly draw interest from gambling establishments. The process of making the cards into a viable gambling industry would undoubtedly require a fair bit of money, advertisements, and ensuring that the cards stay in vogue. Perhaps there could be an adventure in Year 3 or 4 where the player influences this aspect of the game via adventures.

By the way, what should the cardgame be called?

Tragic: The Slandering? (Fallout & Magic reference. The Slandering refers to how Gate practitioners were slandered, and one of the things that forms the identity of the game is an ongoing story that describes this. The story and related tales are part of the official magazine, perhaps? It has to not directly refer to gates magic, but still make people regard the subject with an more open mind.)

Hmm if I remember correct If a action of the player gives a NPC +1 SS it also give the NPC Relationship?

Then it's probably bether to make

-1 Relationship to choosen Char of oposit gender

+1 Dance for the choosen Char if Action using char make Dance roll (maybe even contested)

+1 Relationship with the choosen Char if make Romance roll

I would like it if adventures that are associated with specific characters to be prefixed with their name, so that it is easier to build relationships with them by participating in their adventures. Currently, it is bit a of gamble to find their quests, which I feel is inconvenient.

EG:

"Emilia Strollin - The Deadliest Aranz"

"Sabin Stargem - The Harpy who Loved Me"

"Orso Orsi - Headmaster Blues"

"Your Clique - Consulting the Sphinx"

How about to have some skills in year 2 that have a high training multiplicator if you dont have them for class but as soon you put some energy in study them for class the training multiplicator drops drastic.

I think that could also be usefull for such College focused class like Artefice or Multi Familiar Handling. At last I think this is a bether way then complet restrict some SS / Skills.

(Maybe I allready suggested this but I am not sure)