Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

• 3 weeks later...

A suggestion!

From Girars Student Event 2, why not make that vegetarian's shop a location? It can be used by vegetarian PC to invite some friends to eat from there (using a persuasion roll) and / or improve some subskills.

And someone might want to change the "A Dreary Day for the lone man" lore. There are the words trench-coat and car in there. Unless of course cars have been secretly invented then forget about it.smile.gif

Also I hope Zoe Melis' AI can be tighten up a little more since she isn't quite the curve-breaker. She scored 100 in the Cheimare History exam but pretty average for other subjects.

But not even the 5mph steampowered 3 wheel "car" without any suspencion and stone hard seat is invented by now in academagia.

So I keep on my flying carpet that have a soft surface even when the first selfpowered vehicles are invented especial because with the carpet I can even go from island to island.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, I purchased Academagia a couple months ago and it has really sucked me in! I've played a character through every college now and I'm still having a great time playing it. I'm really pleased to see how often your team provides updates and DLC and it seems like you really listen to suggestions so I'm going to provide a bunch. :lol: I'm afraid I couldn't make it through all 119 pages here so I'm sorry if these are repeats.

1. Familiars are too hard to use. They are cute and their adventures are fun, but it takes SO long to make them at all useful or even to get them through their adventures. You basically need to be taking Zoology for Improved Familiar Handling AND study Numerology for the action to improve their Bond quickly because otherwise there is just no way to make them useful before school's out, AND you need either high Revision or Animal Husbandry 10 to get them through the skill checks on their adventures. It's probably too late to fix for Year 1, but please make it easier in Year 2! Either make Improved Familiar Handling available to everyone much more easily (perhaps at Familiar Kinship 5 or so?), or make it so that you don't need to train the Bond skills before you can train their other skills--as in, the Bond skills would still exist and provide bonuses, but not be the prerequisites to other skills that will add to yours. Also, I don't think Familiar improvements should be tied to Zoology and Animal Husbandry when not all of them are animals. Feels silly to study birds and mammals when your Familiar is a shadow!

2. Please make the attribute checks on adventures more transparent. As in, not just (Observation) but (Observation/Insight) or (Observation/Intelligence) would appear next to a check. There is no way for me to know for sure what Attribute is going to help me to buff for a hard skill check, making all of the spells and locations which buff attributes mostly useless except for Cleanse and Remake and the Champion's Room, which buff them all.

3. Similarly, is there any way to make it so that there is less save-scumming required to know what skills to build for adventures? I mean that you see an Adventure stage is red or purple, but there is no way to know which skills it wants to check unless you actually pick it and attempt it (and fail, and have to either save-scum or lose a precious, valuable time slot)(and sometimes a failure ends the adventure, so save-scumming is the only option besides bitter tears!). Rarely, an adventure stage name will have a useful tip, like one of Corradin d'Alfi's Adventure stages is called "Intimidation techniques" or some such, and sure enough it checks Intimidation. That was very useful to know beforehand.

4. There are SO many buffing spells in this game, but I never use any of them except the ones which boost one skill 5-6 steps (Mathematical Acuity, Intense Focus, From Novice to Master, Law of the Circular) or the ones which stay on basically forever (Sparkling Fields). The spells which boost a variety of skills 1-2 points each are just not worth it because you will essentially never be in a situation where that is worth spending a time slot on. Adventure stages almost always just need you to power through with one really high skill check. These other more general buffing spells might become useful if there were more combat in the game, as would the huge number of hostile spells which I also never use because it is so much better to befriend a bully than to antagonize them. I see that there were originally meant to be monster encounters in the game; that sounds like fun, and a way to use all these currently useless spells! Perhaps for year 2?

5. The Merit Race is basically the "Instant, Undeserved Reward for Picking Vernin (or rarely Morvidus or Aranaz) Race." Maybe there could be some way of making it fairer for smaller colleges.

6. Lastly, I have perfect vision and yet I find the UI rather small and cramped and hard to read. I have found I can change the text size for certain parts of the UI but not all of it. Perhaps in Year 2, an easier-to-read design for a game which is essentially all about reading? ;)

Thanks a lot for listening and for the great game.

Toast;

Thanks for the feedback!

1) Familiars are getting quite a few new options in Year 2, although you still need to invest time into them if you want them to really reach their potential. Your point about Shadows and Animal Husbandry is very apt. :)

2) Not to worry! There is a new interface for this.

3) This is also addressed, in a manner similar to Scheherazade, if you've played that game. You'll always be able to determine what will be helpful in the next Stage, depending on your options.

4) I think you'll find several uses for the buffing Spells (as well as easier ways to find them) in Y2. As you'll see, the lower value ones may end up proving more useful...

5) Unfortunately, some Colleges have more spirited Students and/or larger student bodies. As you go along, you'll need to try motivating your particular College if you want to stay competitive. :)

6) Not just yourself have had this issue, but some of us as well! I believe you'll find everything much easier to read and scale in Y2. ;)

So I leveled the Bond using the Calculator, thus raising my Familiar Kinship to 10, too. My problem is that it saying something about a spell I supposedly learned "The Familiar's Gift", but I can't find it anywhere. Help?

So I leveled the Bond using the Calculator, thus raising my Familiar Kinship to 10, too. My problem is that it saying something about a spell I supposedly learned "The Familiar's Gift", but I can't find it anywhere. Help?

I think you meant Gift of the Familiar, which is a action that, er, get rid of your familiar in exchange for one attribute point in all categories and permanently bars you from gaining any other familiar.

Gift of the familiar isn't something I would use lightly... since it kills your familiar and you won't be able to get a replacement.

This makes me wonder... would Pamala or the Shadow "DIE" if we used it? they arn't actualy alive in the organic sense.. At the same time I guess they are still there in a way.

I think you meant Gift of the Familiar, which is a action that, er, get rid of your familiar in exchange for one attribute point in all categories and permanently bars you from gaining any other familiar.

There is actually also a spell called The Familiar's Gift (very similar name) and it lets you lend your attributes to your familiar. I've seen it awarded to me but it's never appeared in my spell list and I assumed it was because I was missing a pheme or something...