Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

I just had an idea for a magical toy. Volnauge skyfish! Imagine a school of little silvery fishes swimming through the air. It'd be neat as a future-year crafting project that culminates in a once-off action, "Release the Skyfish!" Terribly wasteful and silly, of course. (You'd run at least 75 pims of materials per fishie, of which you'd need quite a few to release them.) The school's familiars would love and/or hate the toys.

This idea came to me while I was pondering the magics that would be involved in creating a self-sustaining sky ecology. I wonder if Gates users have ever released their better (saner?) creations into the world in inconspicuous places, and then passed them off as 'discoveries' of new magical creatures.

i hope i'm not repeating what someone else suggested, it's a very long thread, but i would really like to see an expanded "exam" event where there are actual questions to answer or things to do.

perhaps it could test your knowledge of the skills you've picked up and the lore associated with them in conjunction with skill roll based on your study score.

also, i'm sure it will be much clearer in year two anyways, but it might be helpful if there was more information on how you did on them in relation to where you were supposed to be.

maybe like a post exam event with a teacher if they were really happy or dissapointed in your performance.

123 pages, i'm sure it's been suggested before

SDF;

Several Academagians have requested that, yes- Exams are a bit more involved in Y2, but I can't say it will be to that degree, alas. Possibly Y3. :)

You know what would be a neat little tool? A little quiz about the easily confused skills with canonical answers. Program it in a forms ap, upload it to the forums, and we could all ensure that our knowledge of the confusable skills is up to date. No need to make it properly gamified.

I personal dislike it when the player knowledge is tested when actual the player character knowledge is at a Test.

Magical Diary haved a interesting system in giving the player the choice of magic they use for the test but that dont realy work with Academagia as each CLass is tested seperat.

Character's doing the tests but players getting involved in "decisions" sounds like a good idea :)

Perhaps applying other "skills" that help improve your characters focus and the Quality of the answers. Or cheating.

Study level, study habits, memory, observation, concentration.... Semantics, syntax, grammar. Diction as an addition in practical tests.

there are so many ways things could be made more interesting.

I realy hope the adventures in year 2 have a beter look at what the spells of the player can do instead of just a value + dice roll.

Lets say the player want to cross a river without a bridge he simply can cast Destiny's Emergence if he knows the spell and not simple know a way to levitate over the river.

Or when having to follow someone why not use Private Chariot instead of running.

I tried the ability/action Question knowledge and it would appear that I'm only given 1 skil step even if it tells me I'm supposed to be getting 5 skill steps..

Also, on a completely different note... Wouldn't it be possible to use astrology and numerology to counter the chaotic nature of gates magic? Or at the very least make it slightly more reliable, depending on your skill?

After all Astrology seems capable of affecting probablility, luck, and provide guidance.

For example to more accurately pinpoint a location you are trying to open a portal to or teleport to.

To determine the origin of a "summoned creature" so that you will have an easier time sending it back home.

It looks like a perfect match for enspelling more "stable and reliable" gates magic.

Wouldn't it be possible to use astronomy and numerology to counter the chaotic nature of gates magic? Or at the very least make it slightly more reliable, depending on your skill?

After all Astrology seems capable of affecting probablility, luck, and provide guidance.

For example to more accurately pinpoint a location you are trying to open a portal to or teleport to.

To determine the origin of a "summoned creature" so that you will have an easier time sending it back home.

It looks like a perfect match for enspelling more "stable and reliable" gates magic.

Magic theory time: Astrology is a worldly magic, whereas Gates is an unworldly magic. Astrology draws power from current arrangements of space. Gates draws power from denying current arrangements of space. Conjoining the two is going to be ad hoc at best. Trying to do it in a large, rigorous manner is just begging for an explosive result. I mean that literally. (On a more metaphorical level, monstrous 'stars aligned' summons also seem possible.)

Magic theory time: Astrology is a worldly magic, whereas Gates is an unworldly magic. Astrology draws power from current arrangements of space. Gates draws power from denying current arrangements of space. Conjoining the two is going to be ad hoc at best. Trying to do it in a large, rigorous manner is just begging for an explosive result. I mean that literally. (On a more metaphorical level, monstrous 'stars aligned' summons also seem possible.)

But it would make sense, that looking at a known opposite and use that knowledge, it would allow you to predict the opposite and make it work better by applying your magic in a more controled and calculated way.

If astrology represent the way things are and gates represents the oposite and an actual manipulation of what should be, then it would seem logical to use your knowledge of the current "arrangement of Space" if you want to alter it in a controlled and positive way.

It actualy makes sense that gates magic is so "unpredictable" if people are trying to force their will on something they don't understand. If they instead took measure of reality and applied their spells more intelligently then perhaps some of the side effects and accidents would be moderated.

Smarter use instead of more brute force to force your will.

At the same time, I doubt complete understanding would be possible, but taking of some of the rough edges would certainly help.

Also, the part of using astrology to pinpoint a creatures planar origin should still work if you want ot send them back, it woudl help you find a focal point and an Idea of what you want to accomplish. The more you know the easier it should be.

Kind of reminds me of when my character needed to summon that gryphon or whatever it was that was garding that island with the book of some kind of mastery stuff in it. Having just a vague idea of what the beast looked like made it harder to summon.

So, more information should make it easier to pull of gates spells with "less" accidents.

"So, more information should make it easier to pull of gates spells with "less" accidents."

In the past, Elumian wizards had the ability to use Gates without the random error which afflicts it now. Oursoukan wizards still have that power, but they are also all insane.

More information does not seem to help the random error...but no one knows why. :)

I just had a thought for how to handle shopping and avert the problem of every shop visit taking up an entire action. What about giving every store a convenience factor? When you cue up a shopping run, you get a budget of time to allocate shop-visits to. Catalogues would be very convenient, requiring little time. Brick and mortar stores would be varyingly inconvenient. The secret goblin market is probably maxed-out inconvenient and really does take a third of your day, for instance, while a visit to Mettonal's Liquid Shop is probably not a big deal.

89157Z;

You'll be glad to know that the system for that is much more streamlined. Now, when you shop, you can do so at multiple stores (if they are close enough). It's still one action for Catalog shopping, but you may use any number of them now (I think!)

In other Words I'll be able to go grocery shopping using one "turn" and fill up my secret hoard for months to come? :P