Black Chicken Studios Forums

Old "Patches, Hot Fixes" Thread

Hawkey

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This patch looks amazing, thanks so much. I'd just like to ask for a general overview of what's going to be in the code patch. I know you don't know everything that'll make it in, but I'd rather not start a new game tonight if I'll be missing out on some really handy fixes.

Thanks again. ;)

EDIT: Whoops, found the handy dandy thread with just the information I was looking for. Nevermind!

Monteverdi;

Thanks for the suggestions!

We plan on implementing buttons to do exactly what you suggest in several places in phases. The first that will receive them is the Daily Feedback.

Familiars will have an expanded role with Items in Year 2, but I am not sure we will be able to include this for Year 1.

The Item icons have been suggested, and slowly, over time, they will diversify.

You already can delete save games from within the game- click on the 'x' next to the save.

We'll see if we can look at both Befriend and Mr. Alan Driscoll for CP2.

Thanks again!

@ Monteverdi

What kind of spreadsheet is she making?

She might want to help with the wiki instead. And we might already have what she is looking for (at least partly)

I'm more a wiki type, preferring the flavor and lengthy entries. She likes quick, dry spreadsheets. :) And she is using your wiki for assistance, though she's garnering more at this point from both her game, and mine own, halted before the new content patch.

I'll be happy to add to the wiki, though I know nothing about its coding language.

EDIT: I missed your question What she's building is a grouping of all spells, items, and locations by effect and duration, as well as effects of befriending different students. It's going to be a long time coming to get much of this, of course.

Two little things, one I know has been answered before, but want to get it in the list anyway.

1) The confirmation window when deleting, loading a safegame of saving a game would be nice. It happened many times I accidentilly deleted a safe game or saved over an older safe game I didn't want to overwrite by accident.

2) The golden coins you see when selecting a name. Could the letters get a (slightly) different color so they will stand out more? The first time I had to look real hard to see there was actual text in them and it took me a bit to figure out what was written in them. Golden letters on a golden coin don't allow for a quick reading.

MY bad about the bad explanation. It isn't actually weird coins, but for example when you get to name your familiar.

The edges around the box are gold. So is the gold coin like item in the right corner with the text "close", as well as the two rectengular boxes with scroll up and scroll down.

The text is rather hard to read as the words are only made obvious because they are "imprinted" in the gold, making a relief. However the lines are very thin and gold so they hardly stand out from their environment.

I hoped the lines could be made a little bigger, or give them a different, styleful, color.

@Monteverdi

You're probably right that all of the informatino she's putting together will be a long time in coming, but I'm sure people building the wiki would be willing to incorporate the information as well. I've actually been considering compiling a list of all subskills sorted alphabetically with references to the parent skill. While the update certainly gives us a much easier way to find where a subskill lives if it's linked from a daily summary, sometimes I just want to go back to a skill I discovered 2 months ago in game and work on it, and at that point it becomes a bit more difficult to dig up.

@Original Topic

I've never encountered the knapsack bug, so I don't know how much this will affect me. That said, having rollovers for the phemes from the skills menu will be fantastic. Glad to see this added so soon!

@Monteverdi

You're probably right that all of the informatino she's putting together will be a long time in coming, but I'm sure people building the wiki would be willing to incorporate the information as well.

I don't think she'll have any problems with furnishing that info to select folks for entry in the wiki. It'll just take a long time coming, because the development team for the game did such a sensational job building an in-depth product. Their detail can't be ferreted out on a single gameplay. It will take several to a least get a reasonable scope--and our play time is rather limited during the week. :)

I'd like to see a sort or filter ability for phemes and locations. For instance having a small dropdown menu under phemese where I could select a parent skill and it would only show me the phemes which affect that parent skill or its subskills. Same with locations. With all the phemes and locations you end up acquiring, this would make it much easier to locate the ones that are useful for what you are trying to accomplish.

Also, I think this may have already been suggested, but a way to save templates of base spell + pheme combinations, so we don't have to memorize and recreate combos we like over and over again.

Lastly, on the character creation front, as there is discussion over whether or not more customization points should be added and currently a level of 0 in an attribute is considered "average", can it be made so that we can take away points from an attribute to make our character below average or even poor? This would provide more flexibility in point distribution without adding more points and also make characters unique as their weaknesses and strengths would be more pronounced.

I'd like two small items in the Item menu/column

Scholar Report (click and its content appear on Context column) )arrange a bit like Relation column

Name of skill ------------Parent Skill --------------- level

Dialectic-------------------Dialectic------------------- 7

Sleuthing------------------Dialectic-------------------7

Famous Dilemmas--------Dialectic-------------------7

That way we could check skill faster, easier. Beside, whoever heard of a student without a Student Report

Detention Report

Date of detention ----------Teacher catch ---------- Teacher teach that detention period

Being a skipping-happy students that we were, it also is a necessary item, both ingame or real-life-logical.

I have the Impulse download for Vista 32. when i downloaded patch 3 into the same folder that has Academagia.exe and installed here, it created a new folder called Content Patch 1 and installed a new folder inside content patch 1 called mods, with the content.mdm inside that folder. When i started a new game there were no new mods available. Knowing a little about programing i moved the content.mdm file from /academagia/Content Patch 1/mods into academagia/mods and started a new game and the mod was available to be checked and used.

Warning:

We are meeting with the coding team presently, and the doubling of Backgrounds we are seeing in Content Patch 1 has been solved. However, it appears that this doubling is occurring in a much more problematic way than just in the save games: it appears it is affecting the primary database.

This (almost certainly) means that those of you that have used Content Patch 1 will need to uninstall, then reinstall, Academagia once Patch 3 is available.

We will not remove Content Patch 1 yet, but consider it use at risk until our investigation is complete.

Thanks, and we will keep you posted.

I am concerned that an installer will not help as people that purchase the game direct from you will have the game installed (probably) \Program Files\Black Chicken\Academagia and people that download from Impulse will have the game installed \Program Files\Indie games\Academagia. Will the installer check for both locations?

I would prefer to be able to install the patch the moment it becomes available, and not when Impulse finally gets round to it.

Most games have a small registry entry with the installation location, does Academagia have that too? And can that be used to locate the installation directory?

Archived