Black Chicken Studios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
johnennion

How/when can we start creating Mods?

Vanan;

We're not sure yet- we have a tool that originally we planned to give to the community, but the problem is that the tool works on a different file than what the game client uses, and that file is about 340MB. You can imagine the size of the logistical problem involved in getting that to would-be modders!

We've tossed around a few ideas about how best to do this, but none are particular clean or user-friendly. We'll have to see.

Otherwise, you will be using the 'mod' area of the New Game screen to choose content patches and DLC soon-ish. I think we have the first free-of-charge set slated for release at the end of September.

Vanan;

We're not sure yet- we have a tool that originally we planned to give to the community, but the problem is that the tool works on a different file than what the game client uses, and that file is about 340MB. You can imagine the size of the logistical problem involved in getting that to would-be modders!

We've tossed around a few ideas about how best to do this, but none are particular clean or user-friendly. We'll have to see.

Otherwise, you will be using the 'mod' area of the New Game screen to choose content patches and DLC soon-ish. I think we have the first free-of-charge set slated for release at the end of September.

Thanks for the quick response, I'd love to see some modability or overrides allowed in the future, or even documentation of file architecture. If the file size for distribution is a problem perhaps running a torrent of it or using third parties such a Mediafire would help. Of course from your description it sounds like there is much more involved then just the distribution of the file. Perhaps it can just be on the "someday" list :lol:

Just wanted to keep this discussion going....

The modding community has the potential to be a "force multiplier" for Black Chicken. There are a lot more modders than there are of you and they work for free. :) In the ideal case, you can actually pick and choose mod content to fold into the actual product where appropriate. Fixing content bugs or attempting major content tweaks are definitely within the realm of possibility.

Here are a few of the immediate mod ideas that come to mind:

- Typo correction

- Disable/remove adventures/events that depend on bugged features, skills, locations, or other problems

- Establish some new pre-requisites for some of the random events

The pre-requisites in particular may not be desirable in your vision of the game, but having a mod available allows you to evaluate the changes without committing resources to it. Chances are that somebody will find it useful in tuning their own experience, even if in the end it doesn't become a part of the product.

Will the mod tools that are eventually released be the same tools that were used during development (I was an editor for a bit last year)? I may just have to some modding of my own eventually... :)

James;

Yes, the very same ones. Maybe a *slightly* different version to help the players better control the AMO. And, since you were a writer, you already know the logistical problem I am referring to. :)

Yep...it was the first thing I thought of when I saw there was plans for mod support. I hope you can sort something out, the possibilities for modders on this game would be pretty grand!

I am terribly sorry, but what is the problem? Would downloading a file that big really that much trouble? If so, why not contact gamersgate (which sells your game) and ask them to upload it? They often host patches that are larger then your file.

I think this is aktuall a good Idea to put the Moding Tool up in a Update that is spread over the distributers. As long there are only digital download sells this sould be working.

mhv3;

The caching issue (mostly) solved the major problem in releasing the Mod Tools, but there are still a few lingering changes we need to make so that it's reasonably user friendly to create/disseminate/use Mods. I'd say we are on track for release with DLC 2, towards the end of October.