Black Chicken Studios Forums

Your Merit Prize is an offer to do more work!

Impet

There's a small clash between the wording of some of these Merit Prizes, and how the mechanics support them.

For instance, Merit Prize VII. It tells you that you have "won knowledge of the Warm Cloak Spell and the Air Pheme necessary to cast it."

That's very nice, Legate Orsi. But when I check my Spells, I actually haven't won that knowledge yet, have I?

Instead, under my Abilities I've won the chance to spend some evening researching the materials you provided to my whole College as a reward for our meritorious efforts.

And once I've researched this spell, then I've won the knowledge. Course, you're certain I'll be eager to do that extra work, that's what being meritorious is all about, yeah.

I suppose it would take zapping the heads of everyone in the college with a wand or something to give us all direct access to the spell, so... maybe change the wording of the Merit spells that give you access to figuring out a new ability? Instead of telling us we have the ability, maybe something like this -

"As the prize for having the College with the greatest Merit, you've won the right to keep this spellbook of the Warm Cloak Spell and the Air Pheme necessary to cast it within your College's library. You may study this tome at your leisure."

Well, it's fine to have the prize be the chance to study something, and that something gives us the reward. That's very scholastic, and quite true to life - good students get chances to do advanced studies, sure!

Just maybe change the wording of the Merit # actions to reflect the opportunity for extra study granting those skill(s) and knowledge(s), whatever the prize gives, instead of saying you have the skill or knowledge, and keep everything else the same?

Archived