Black Chicken Studios Forums

Outcompete everyone!

Impet

The description of the 'Compete' Action implies that it happens within a classroom, though I first used it after classes and during weekends and holidays exclusively. I decided to see what happened when I competed during class time - nothing bad! I didn't get any skill gains from the class (guess I was to focused on showing off to have any hope of learning anything new... this is pretty iffy as it was a brand new character with 0 in every class subskill, and 0 in the class studies too :) )

The description says that contest was a Compete Roll vs. 12, but this character doesn't even have the compete skill listed at 0. And I've won every roll, even my first when my glory was presumeably at 0? So no effect likely from the can't fail bug.. Twice in the first week, while using Compete during class, I got awarded the merit boost more than once for each time period's use of it. So using compete during class may be far more effective than using it outside of class - and with the 'tiny' penalty of not gaining the normal training of class. Objectively, I think my newly arrived know-almost-nothing kid, who clearly isn't doing the assigned work (and thus not learning, like the teacher surely wants, should be thwaped in the ear and told to sit down and get to work, not be given 3 or even 6 merit points a time period for trying to show off without anything to show :wub:

Working as intended?

Another thing to consider about the code apparently allowing us to use 'compete' in place of 'attend class' without risk of getting caught skipping class (Either that's the case, or I'm super lucky at not getting caught when I compete, go figure, I do get caught skipping for other things) is that compete lets you pick a location, and attend class doesn't.

Since there are several locations that offer (ahem) advantages that one perhaps shouldn't be able to visit while ostensibly competing before your teachers' eyes... maybe consider if that's working as intended? (I still wonder if I should be allowed to compete during class time freely, since I am effectively Ignoring My Lessons during this Impressive Display of Showing Off :) )

Impet;

It may be a little counterintuitive, but the University has a reasonable tolerance for missing class, especially if you are using your time to do impressive things. :)

Kk! I've spent an entire week doing compete/compete/adventure, and doing each of these at the block puzzle, no less. No repremands of any sort as of yet... wonder if they'll let me show off all the way to failing all my exams? ;) I've got a character willing to risk it!

Archived