Black Chicken Studios Forums

Easier Adventures!

Mikka

In a future patch, hopefully we'll have more information that'll make it easier to choose which Adventure to pick by difficulty. But for now, we don't have that information, but we're still playing. As I start up new characters, though, I find myself wondering 'which Adventures should I start on?' for my character's first few run-arounds. Good Adventures are ones with low difficulty, or where being unsuccessful doesn't hurt much: if you can repeat the adventure infinity, or if you'll step on to the next stage regardless, there's no huge trouble.

...Hopefully other people are thinking about the same things! ;)

Obviously, the Adventure's with one's mentor, Oan, are good ones to start with: you get information that's helpful to learning, a few relatively 'free' skill ups, some useful locations and no 'bad' consequences for failing: completing the missions is probably actually a good idea for being the first seven or so adventure's one does.

The start of the Adventure related to one's house has so far in my experience been pretty easy, whether it's plotting for leadership or going on field trips. The familiar adventures- both the ones where your familiar does the adventuring and the ones where you adventure with your familiar- seem to be repeatable infinity. The adventure where you meet that nice chap in a tavern also seems easy: there's five or six ways to get attention, with some pretty mild checks.

On the other hand, when it comes to adventures involving my classmates, I tend to often run in to brick walls. The one where a certain cruel girl was attempting to catch the eye of a certain young man (involving dance!) was simple enough. I've yet to find any others similar.

What has been everyone else's experiences?

I have finished.. two, maybe three adventures so far..

I've stopped some games in the middle, but if I added them all together I've played about 3 entire games.

They are tough!

I am hoping the tough ones have bigger rewards in the end. Rewards like special items. But I'm not holding my breath!

I don't mind the challenge much though. . it's a challenge! But it is tough finding yourself blocked by a wall of skills you have zero ability in.

I thought I'd use Animal Husbandry's special skill 'Animal Analogy' to clear those, but I haven't been able to get it to work, it won't let me choose a skill during prep time, and always fails.

Shin;

I will have a look at Animal Analogy, thanks- that sounds like a bug.

Adventures are quite difficult, the Tutorial Adventure being easier than the rest. Student Adventures are the next most difficult, finally culminating the 'Main Story' Adventures. The Adventures which are coming in the first DLC will include a mix of these, but in general in order to succeed at Adventures you will need to prepare well!

Umph, be glad to see it working tho it sounds a little overpowered when it does actually work. :D If it was half as powerful and worked only once a week it'd still be a strong stuff.

OTOH, maybe I'm wrong when you say the later adventures are even tougher, a fellow might truly need it! :blink:;)

Which is something that slowly starts to bother me to be honest;

I don't feel like I am getting out of the game what I can/should.

1) no matter how much I train or do stuff, I constantly run into events that I can't do because I lack skills.

2) there is so much to do that even with studying rigorously, you can barely achieve about 10%

3) Adventures are often so hard you waste more time on them then they reward

4) not enough free time; if you want to explore/adventure/shop/earn money/etc. you don't have enough time to learn and soon will be facing detention as you fail things.

5' There are no goals to achieve, no measurement of progress. Just blindly walking through the classes.

These issue's are enough to slowly drain the fun out of the game for me. (don't read me wrong; I still love it, just a little bitter as I keep running into walls)

In my opinion a game should be fun, allowing you to do things you normally can´t do. Being constantly reminded of what you can´t do and not enough time to change it all is too much like real life for me. While it is supposed to be a life simulator, I also belief it should be fun. Stimulate everything you do and not constantly remind you of what you can´t do.

What? No way, jose!

1, and 3: Dont do Adventures before the midterm exam. They are pretty damn hard even for an experienced player simply because we just dont have enought time to up our skill level yet. Do the opening stage of each adventure only, maybe stage 2. Each stage almost always have an option to get you out of that relatively unscathed, so read carefully too.

On matter of get your level of skills and subskills higher, you should learn to do many different things. Plain Train, or Study, just dont cut it. Each library can have its own study which can up several of your subskills, which is a superior way to learn. Some locations can teach you 3 skill steps at one visit, so that's another.

On location: each has 2 type of abilities. Passive, it look gray, and give you abilities when your preparing location is set there and mostly stop when the activity end. Active, it look black, and appear as an action you can choose. Make full use of passive abilities when you do adventure, or research, or do some specific actions.

And third, make careful use of a native ability of PC game. I am referring, of course, to the Save/Load feature. Make a preparation save before you press end day, and a tentative result save when you got a, what else, tentatively acceptable result. Dont abuse this feature but dont be too scared to use it, either.

On matter of get your level of skills and subskills higher, you should learn to do many different things. Plain Train, or Study, just dont cut it. Each library can have its own study which can up several of your subskills, which is a superior way to learn. Some locations can teach you 3 skill steps at one visit, so that's another.

Indeed... I have been using several libraries and my Revision skill group increased to the max slowly but surely without me training it on purpose, instead I focus on skills like School Survival, Befriend and stuff like that. Also there are locations you can go to that give you permanent increases like Sabinu's Grotto.

And be sure to make as much use of passive locations that give skill steps as possible. Even if you're not studying or don't care over much about the ability, there's always a chance it might be useful in a random event or adventure!

Languages, for instance- you start off with the Admiratio: Vegtable Market, which has no discovery chance if your character hasn't started down the path of 'getting on the teachers nerves'. +1 Language Subskill, +1 Mimicry each time you do something there. By the time you've reached Mimicry 10, you'll probably have opened up the The Venalicium Library: Linguistics Section, which gives two +1 Step's to random Language Subskills. Hang out there as you Study, Train, Encourage Fellow Students, start Adventures, whatever... boom. You'll have 11 Language, with 10 in each of the Language Subskills, before you know it. And you'll have never actually attempted to train those Languages, and you've probably discovered along the way some fun Actions, Locations, and passive abilities that'll help you with other skills/activities you might need more of.

And be sure to make as much use of passive locations that give skill steps as possible. Even if you're not studying or don't care over much about the ability, there's always a chance it might be useful in a random event or adventure!

Languages, for instance- you start off with the Admiratio: Vegtable Market, which has no discovery chance if your character hasn't started down the path of 'getting on the teachers nerves'. +1 Language Subskill, +1 Mimicry each time you do something there. By the time you've reached Mimicry 10, you'll probably have opened up the The Venalicium Library: Linguistics Section, which gives two +1 Step's to random Language Subskills. Hang out there as you Study, Train, Encourage Fellow Students, start Adventures, whatever... boom. You'll have 11 Language, with 10 in each of the Language Subskills, before you know it. And you'll have never actually attempted to train those Languages, and you've probably discovered along the way some fun Actions, Locations, and passive abilities that'll help you with other skills/activities you might need more of.

With all that said, Mika, don't forget that there is a plan to turn most of those passive expansion abilities into active abilities, just because of what you're talking about. At present, I don't mind those passives being there, but to me, using them seems like an abuse of the game. *shrugs* Just my opinion, of course.

With all that said, Mika, don't forget that there is a plan to turn most of those passive expansion abilities into active abilities, just because of what you're talking about. At present, I don't mind those passives being there, but to me, using them seems like an abuse of the game. *shrugs* Just my opinion, of course.

Beyond this even, is the desire of some (or me at least!) to create believable characters and role play as them. When I played through as a bookworm, sure, hanging out in the library linguistics section made sense, but now that I'm playing as a bully I don't think that it does. So I try hard to favor locations that both give boosts and make sense from the perspective of the character, which can sometimes be a challenge, since many locations are somewhat imbalanced.

Archived