Black Chicken Studios Forums

Items/Books

Vegejor

Ok so I picked one of the legacy's to try it out and my oh my, I got a book which should enhance my skill.

Now what do I do with them? Do I need to read them or anything? Or do they give the bonus automatically?

If so, is the bonus permanent? Can I remove the book without removing the bonus?

Vegejor;

Unfortunately, Books with Passive Abilities cannot be used until Content Patch 1. There is a problem with their Type.

When they function, they will be similar to other Items with Passive Abilities: you will need to 'equip' the Book and you will gain the bonuses.

I found that out after I spent about 2.9 thousand gold on books. Accepting Commissions is an easy way to earn copious amounts of gold pieces. I wonder if your wealth will matter in the second year. I mean, it is possible to make a character who is probably richer than his parents.

Ranielle;

Accept Commission is under review for cutbacks, but yes: wealth will matter. The 4th year is when that will become of greater interest, I believe.

Well it makes sense in a way that Enchanted and Masterwork items "should" be expensive. And considering the prices on some of the items on the shops, 300g for a craft is rather cheap. Also since you need 10 in both Enchanting and Forge, it probably means that you are a master at that craft ( insofar as a first year student can be ) I for one do not believe that it needs cutbacks. The real issue is the ease of getting forge subskill extensions by doing stuff that actually helps your grades. You can go about your business training enchanting and some others and you'll have 10 in forge in no time.

Ranielle;

The key issue, as you note, is that you are a First Year Student. The overall money will still be achievable, but we will spread this among more diffuse Rolls.

On that point, I do sort of wonder if it is sensible for things like Accept Comission, or being invited to use the Master's Forge, to be at all possible for students in Year 1, no matter how good their skills. I mean, I got a personal workstation more or less just by going to class. That seems way, way too easy. Further, my character has a puny strength of 1 - no matter how much theory and magic I know, you're not going to shape iron with the lowest possible strength a 13 year old can muster. You're not even going to lift the hammer more than twice!

Super-stringent requirements, above and beyond those that might be attained in class, and perhaps only unlocked after a hard adventure?

I know a petite woman in real life that actually works as a goldsmith. Mostly jewelry, so she doesn't have to be strong, but still... Technique often wins from brute strength, even in smithing. But I would agree if someone would claim that their strength would increase due to training all day. Maybe make it a Forge Level 10 bonus?

Stat link to forge activities should be: Strength (duh) Insight (because high level forge need thinking, not just hammering) and stamina (so you not passed out due to heat).

In a world where you can use magic to lift the hammers and do the actual work, there is little use for being strong. And I'd assume the worth of the item comes from the magic involved in the creation.

Archived