Black Chicken Studios Forums

So, which College you prefer, and why?

mecharm

It doesn't matter what College I want. It's what college my current character thinks best suited to his/her goals in life. I'm not being snooty, here--it just means I don't have a preference. I design a character, and a college selection isn't a matter of liking one better than another, but of finding one that emphasizes what they want most out of life.

I am embarrassed to admit that my college of choice, when I am playing for play, rather than playing to test something, is and only is Morvidus.

And what's embarrassing is my reason. Because we can only study our six selected class skills, and because certain *hides and mumbles the rest* of the studies give attribute gains when you master the studies, I couldn't stop myself from considering which of the college's assigned classes gave attribute gains when study is maxed. I'm too attached to higher attributes, when playing to play at least. Playing for some purpose is different!

I am embarrassed to admit that my college of choice, when I am playing for play, rather than playing to test something, is and only is Morvidus.

And what's embarrassing is my reason. Because we can only study our six selected class skills, and because certain *hides and mumbles the rest* of the studies give attribute gains when you master the studies, I couldn't stop myself from considering which of the college's assigned classes gave attribute gains when study is maxed. I'm too attached to higher attributes, when playing to play at least. Playing for some purpose is different!

There are more ways to increase your attributes, and some of the non-mastery perks (lower then level 10) are still pretty good, even if they not increase your attributes themselves. Secondly, I am learning that some of the more knowledge skills unlock very interesting stuff. So I shouldn't base my choice on the Study Mastery abilities alone, if I were you. :D

There are more ways to increase your attributes, and some of the non-mastery perks (lower then level 10) are still pretty good, even if they not increase your attributes themselves. Secondly, I am learning that some of the more knowledge skills unlock very interesting stuff. So I shouldn't base my choice on the Study Mastery abilities alone, if I were you. ;)

Thus is one of the reasons I really like arithmetic as a subject, its got some killer spells at the upper end, especially the incredibly flexible mathematical acuity spell. Astrology also has some good general spells though I usually learn it as a side discipline rather than a class.

Verni has been my preferred house in part because it seems a very well balanced house, and I like both required classes (also I think Liethe (sp) strikes the right balance as a professor, enough distance that you can be "yourself" but not too familiar so as to lose his authority) .

Morvidius also seems to compete well. We pulled well ahead of Venini (sp?) when I played that college. And in my current game I'm in Gordina (sp?) and Morvidius is so far ahead that I have quit trying to compete as it seems we can't hope for the prizes anyway. I just compete enough to cover my demerits.

I pick by what sort of person my character is and what things she might be interested in. My first one was druidish and this one is trying to max incantation.

I checked the wiki and both Aranaz and Vernin have the most students (15), while Avila, Godina and Morvidus have the lowest number of Students (11).

I did notice an increase in Compete actions right after I did a Compete myself in my first game. Haven't been working on that much after that.

Might be wrong as my first character was part of Vernin, with lots of students anyway.

I always see Morvidus and Vernin at the top of the merit list. Aranaz gives them a run for the money, and if the player is in there or in weird circumstances, they can do just as well. The others, I find you can definitely get an early lead and get the Merit Prizes up to 100 or so... but after that, it seems I fall far behind no matter how much I compete. If only I could bribe my classmates in to doing it, too.

My personal favorite collage is Aranaz (so much that I want to write fanfiction, oddly, although I'm uncertain if that's Writers Corner or Shenanigans worthy). For characters, though, I generally just randomly create a character and try to work out for myself where I feel they 'fit'. Morvidus does have advantages from a stats point of view: not only are the two classes plus attribute study bonused, if you feel like being fantastically lazy, they're both Intelligence based and you can also choose four electives that are INT based as well, making everything cued after one stat. That was my second 'real' concept that will be carried through to the next game: first was a a glamour musician who mastered all three speaking classes and leaked charm wherever she went, and then the brilliant boy wizard with INT through the roof. Now, the Aranaz one...

Mikka;

You will enjoy the first DLC, then- it's about Aranaz College, and goes a little into the backstory of the legendary King who it is named after. ;)

Sweet!

Can we get a rough ETA? You know...just to clear schedules, and

we ought to ask...

I have to admit, I'm one of the players that doesn't really have much of a preference for one college over another. I tend to just pick what college seems to fit best with what part of the game I want to explore on a given playthrough.

That said, there is a case to be made that a person's preference in college might be less based on the college itself, and more based on the students in a given college. With as many students as there are in the game, you can't get to know all of them well, so one way to try and take a crack at learning about the students is to focus on those attending a given college in a single playthrough.

For sheer personal preference it would be either "Speak Quietly of Riddles" or "Friendship is the Treasure"

For gaming utility it would seem to be "Friendship is the Treasure" or "Prepare"

I need to try "Beware Courtesy" sometime, but their motto and reputation is just too off-putting.

Archived