Black Chicken Studios Forums

Explore

equilibrium

I have an explore of 10 and routinely successfully cast a spell to boost my explore skill by 4 points. Even with my skill boost and adding stress to the action I still fail constantly at my explore actions. And when I do succeed I find things like the vegetable stand. Is there something else I should be doing to increase my chances of finding locations?

That happened to me only once, I think, and I had 0 on explore and was using the spell "Private Chariot" to explore for hidden places.

So I can attest to the "I should win the roll, but it sometimes fails." issue. No clear reason for why it happens though.

As an another question, our esteemed Legate, is there a minimum skill requirement on exploration for some hidden places?

Ranielle;

The Roll presently is against a 4, so in the case of lower Skill and Attribute, it's certainly possible to fail. Above that, however...

There is indeed a minimum Exploration Skill for many Locations. ;)

I may be understanding it wrong, but isn't it tested like: dice roll + (attribute * 2 + 1) + skill vs the difficulty, in this case 4?

Because if so, then wouldn't having luck just of 1 and no explore skill mean having to roll 1-2 on the dice to fail? If this is the case, then getting ~15 fails in a row sounds quite unlikely and that's what's happening in my current 3a game so far. That's presuming some locations are still possible to discover without the Explore skill, of course.

jc315;

Not quite- if your Luck is 1, and your Explore Skill is 0, you will always fail Explore. The reason is that you must exceed the Difficulty of 4, which you cannot do with a Luck of 1. Other hidden bonuses *might* allow you to succeed, but it's pretty improbable.

However, equilibrium was reporting Explore of 10 and constant failure, which is a very surprising result.

actually I experienced a bug with that in patch 2. (haven't tried it in the third patch and with the new content)

But exploring always fails when I select a location other then my room.

Not quite- if your Luck is 1, and your Explore Skill is 0, you will always fail Explore. The reason is that you must exceed the Difficulty of 4, which you cannot do with a Luck of 1. Other hidden bonuses *might* allow you to succeed, but it's pretty improbable.

Ahh i see, thought there's a dice roll added to the attribute/skill and comparison is then done against such combined result. Hmm guess that colour coding for ability difficulty when/if it comes will be pretty helpful ;)

The dice roll is slightly different.

First: Random number between 1 and (2 * Attribute)

Second: Add Skill

Third: Add Modifiers

Fourth: Add hidden factors

VERSUS Difficulty

In the example of exploration, that would be

Random( 1, 2*Luck ) + Explore + Spells/Locations/Abilities/Clique-bonus vs. 4

With a Luck of 1, you roll only a 1 before adding your modifiers.

I had patch two. I never changed my starting location so it should have been the default, which I'm relatively certain is my room. I am actually reinstalling academagia right now with the intent of Installing patch 3 and the content patch. Glad to hear it was just a bug because I was getting a little flustered. I explored twice in one day after casting sense of direction with a pheme to increase explore by 1 more so failing twice in one day seemed a little odd. I am sorry that I have already deleted academagia. I would have liked to be able to help you with a save file or something. If the problem happens again I will let you guys know.

Archived