Black Chicken Studios Forums

Training Abroad

Synel

I'm trying to decide whether training up a wide variety of skills is something realistically useful in the long run. If the difficulty in training skills continues on the same curve it has than it's possible that, eventually, training those skills that don't accommodate your attributes will be inefficient to the point that you simply can't keep up with certain skill checks for some of the random events/adventures; Even after having put a substantial amount of time training those skills. Perhaps it would be better to simply concentrate your characters skill set?

depends on what you want to do for your character. and also the courses you select at the start. Some of them practically train themselves over the year without you doing anything about it.

And you want to use actions that expand more than one skill. It doesn't matter if you'll never use it, 2 is always better than 1. Get your study habits and library knowledge high or outright start with the libraries discovery. Before you start studying for your courses, learn about Venalicium library and study there for free research subskills.

There are many more tips and tricks, but it all depends on what skills you want to focus on. Specialization is a must, but there are plenty of opportunities if you know what you're doing. ( we only have little knowledge about the game at the moment as a whole since it's so big, so any information posted should be taken "as is" and when the mod tools are released we will start posting guides for pretty much everything. )

Laclongquan@ I do use the spells to increase attributes when trying to train a skill im low on but even then, with a 2 point increase, it still takes 2-3 training on some once they get to lvl 10. And presumably were going to go higher than that later on. Also

Ranielle/Schwarzbart@ That's pretty much exactly what I do (with the abilities that train more than one skill at a time.) I maxed out astrology and revision just from training up other specific skills I wanted and what I basically have, aside from the classes I took being maxed out, is a spy character. War, Plot and Spy are pretty much all tens. Couldn't get espionage and Sleight of hand up though, cause I didn't have all the sub skills available in sleight of hand. Also I had to train for some of the adventures I wanted to do. Basically these are the abilities I used:

Study at the Library of longshade

Study at the Library of the Mantle of Stars

Study at the Library of Manatele

Study and Estaban Contu's school of Incantation

Help Around the Imperial Rangers Outpost

Study the fields

Help Around the Stables

All four of the Chauranglaith Path abilities

Walk the Path of Fire

Go outside the fences

Care for Arms

Run a Potentially Crippling Training Route

Cast your arrows

Oleapias Orange Grove

Still don't have an incredibly usefull skill set as not all the spy like ones have been increased but Negation, Incantation, Botany, Dialectic, Grammar and Zoology are all maxed out.

And yeah, magic is definitely a must. Everything but enchant is leveled to max, with the exception of Mastery.

You can max or nearly max a lot of skills by using these abilites, the only problem is that it does not leave you much time to actually use them in different adventures) Also it kind of shifts your perspective, after using abilities that give you 3 skill steps in a given skill tree, learning other skill trees one point at a time seems slow in comparison.

Provided you could use all those 3 SS. Wasted SS irk me, so I only do the mutiple if I can make full use of it.

Running Crippling? Have you ever get anything more than 1level of Running per action out of it? I sure dont, so I almost never Run. If I need Run, Study Run in one of library.

The key here is Cleanse and Remake spell from the Religion subject. Get the Temple, pay to increase 4 points at once, and max Piety. Cast Cleanse and Remake in Durand's Grove (?) to get +3 to all stat. Cast 3 times in a row (on Sunday) and sit tight and nicely on the next fourday. Add mind pheme is an easy way to get +1 INT.

Or try Joker spell. It's 4 days, use Revision Stone (which can add from 2-4 lvel to Revision). Use Revise pheme first to up the Revision level. The next day you start adding attribute phemes to it, and cast 3 times in a row.

Or if you can max Vilocian language early, try using Warrior Cry with Phemes.

And I repeat, use spells when you can. Not just to up level but to know new subskill. if you cast once and know more than 2 subskill it's a roaring success.

Provided you could use all those 3 SS. Wasted SS irk me, so I only do the mutiple if I can make full use of it.

Running Crippling? Have you ever get anything more than 1level of Running per action out of it? I sure dont, so I almost never Run. If I need Run, Study Run in one of library.

The key here is Cleanse and Remake spell from the Religion subject. Get the Temple, pay to increase 4 points at once, and max Piety. Cast Cleanse and Remake in Durand's Grove (?) to get +3 to all stat. Cast 3 times in a row (on Sunday) and sit tight and nicely on the next fourday. Add mind pheme is an easy way to get +1 INT.

Or try Joker spell. It's 4 days, use Revision Stone (which can add from 2-4 lvel to Revision). Use Revise pheme first to up the Revision level. The next day you start adding attribute phemes to it, and cast 3 times in a row.

Or if you can max Vilocian language early, try using Warrior Cry with Phemes.

And I repeat, use spells when you can. Not just to up level but to know new subskill. if you cast once and know more than 2 subskill it's a roaring success.

Actually I got the full 3 points for running a crippling course and I managed to increase fitness by two over the year as well.

But good god **** I didn't know that cleanse and remake combo worked so well. Going to have to look into that.

Ooooohkay~

Whatever float your boat, baby! Even if we got Strength1 (situation normal, me too) and Running take forever to level up, in the end it's a max 1 level up of skill per Running action. Inefficient! I like to do things efficiently, so even with your assurance of +2 Fitness for a whole school year I aint gonna do that. because what abnout after you get Running10? Can you assure me that we will got +2 Fitness when we reach Running 10? If that's a resounding YES, then I will do it. But running long after the maxed skill is just not my style.

cleanse and remake are for goody students, aka Hermione Grange. You cast them and you are gonna stay in class and do things in your free time. No cutting class for you. The rate of getting caught does go up a tat, that reload is just too much hassle that reload-loving me just sit tight.

Ooooohkay~

Whatever float your boat, baby! Even if we got Strength1 (situation normal, me too) and Running take forever to level up, in the end it's a max 1 level up of skill per Running action. Inefficient! I like to do things efficiently, so even with your assurance of +2 Fitness for a whole school year I aint gonna do that. because what abnout after you get Running10? Can you assure me that we will got +2 Fitness when we reach Running 10? If that's a resounding YES, then I will do it. But running long after the maxed skill is just not my style.

cleanse and remake are for goody students, aka Hermione Grange. You cast them and you are gonna stay in class and do things in your free time. No cutting class for you. The rate of getting caught does go up a tat, that reload is just too much hassle that reload-loving me just sit tight.

It's a 3 point increase to the running skill step per use of run a potentially crippling course, although I don't know if you can increase a sub skill by more than one per action. I didn't continue to use that ability after i maxed running, nor did I use any of the other abilities listed after the associated skill steps were maxed. I used them while they still had a purpose. Estaban Contus skill of incantation for instance, increased every sub skill in the incantation skill set by one skill step, except incantation spells which increased the actual skill by one. I used that to max out incantation, than I never used it again. As far as I could tell, run a potentially crippling training course is the most efficient way to increase running, the fitness increase chance was just a bonus. As I ran the course probably about 8 times at a 10% chance of increases fitness per time, I was pleased with how well it worked out.

Look, I think it's fairly obvious your proud of the cleanse and remake method of increasing your characters abilities as well as the other methods you've discovered but you're imposing qualities onto that skill that have no objective reason to be linked together. If you see yourself as a good student, that's great. However keep in mind, for one, most every one of the skills I've increased have come up in random events/adventure one way or another and there are still times when I run into situations in which every selection is red or purple. Studying a wide variety of skills, imo, is equivalent to being prepared. That aside, reading through the first conversation with your mentor it was hinted that selecting a certain skill set (which may be completely unrelated to magic in fact) was something you can and eventually should end up doing. She used increasing onces skill according to what a spy would use as an example. So specialization is also a factor for future concerns.

With all that in mind I'd also like to say that even with the wide range of skills I've developed I feel under prepared. Some adventures have had instances where magic wasn't even an option while others revolved around skill sets such as carpentry and traps. So I don't really have any skills I would consider wasted.

Look in the preparatory stage before you press enday:

If it's Expand Skill: 4SS, you can only gain ONE single level

If it's Expand Skill: SS (4 times), you can gain, potentially, FOUR levels per that turn.

Eg, the dialectic raising location:

If it's

Expand Random Dialectic: +1SS

Expand Theory of Glamour: +1SS

Then you can, potentially, raise two Famous Dilemma for that visit.

It's not the turn, it's the count/trigger of that raising skill of that turn.

And okay, if you say running like that can get you +2 Fitness I will do it. Raising Stat is the hardest thing to do, so if we can waste 10~ turns Running it worth the effort.

On the topic of raising stat, if you can train Dance to level 5 you get access to Master Whip's Studio. 400 pims fee of admitance and 4skill raise, 4% chance of raising TWO stat per action. the cheaper studio, Avendra, got the limit of Dance9 and only get you 5% of Charm.

Look in the preparatory stage before you press enday:

If it's Expand Skill: 4SS, you can only gain ONE single level

If it's Expand Skill: SS (4 times), you can gain, potentially, FOUR levels per that turn.

Eg, the dialectic raising location:

If it's

Expand Theory of Glamour: +1SS

Then you can, potentially, raise two Famous Dilemma for that visit.

It's not the turn, it's the count/trigger of that raising skill of that turn.

And okay, if you say running like that can get you +2 Fitness I will do it. Raising Stat is the hardest thing to do, so if we can waste 10~ turns Running it worth the effort.

On the topic of raising stat, if you can train Dance to level 5 you get access to Master Whip's Studio. 400 pims fee of admitance and 4skill raise, 4% chance of raising TWO stat per action. the cheaper studio, Avendra, got the limit of Dance9 and only get you 5% of Charm.

Well, it is a 10% chance of raising fitness so, as it is with most abilities that raise stats, it also comes down to how willing you are to reload in order to get your stat increase. With 3 or 4 points in the associated attribute it still takes more than one skill step to raise most skills above the range of 7 or higher, so in terms of efficiency you would probably still want more than a one or two skill step increase. I would ask exactly what you consider to be wasting a turn? Honestly before I was even halfway through year one I was pretty much choosing what skills to raise on a whim, not including those I was increasing for adventures. Are you focusing on the attribute increase or is there some other criteria you use when building your character?

hmm... I prefer other ways to increase my base attribute scores.

Study, research and skills offer more improvements then just the attribute increase. And I think those matter more in the end.

A higher chance range or a higher more secure bonus due to the skill?

I already was able to raise all my base scores with about 5 points during my first playthrough (which I stopped right after midterm exams), barely knowing what I was doing. Now that I do know, I can probably increase it a lot more.

Archived