Black Chicken Studios Forums

Teleportation

Adrian

I was wondering, with gates and everything I suspect that a spell such as 'teleportation' exists as well, I wondered though, would such a spell fall under 'gates' or another skill-tree, or a tree we haven't even seen yet?

Teleportation is after all a spell which all decent wizards should know :)

Adrian;

Teleportation is almost unknown in modern Elumia, although more ancient wizards had access to some means of instantaneous travel. Those spells were lost during the days of the early Empire during an early ban on Gates magic, and subsequent research has not been able to recover the technique in any form that is not of great bodily risk to the teleporting wizard.

The wizards of Oursouk, south of Elumia, to this day are able to teleport- but they are few in number, and do not associate with the wizards of Elumia except in battle.

Adrian;

It depends. Some summoned creatures are permanent, and some 'snap' back to where they were summoned from at the end of the Duration of the Spell. Very few treatises on the subject survived the many bans on Gates.

You can banish creatures as well, although not all return to the place they were summoned from...one of the several reasons Gates has been proscribed. :)

Teleportation seems like something that a Gates student would learn, indeed. But it doesn't seem like something that would be as immediately practical as might be expected. After all, you can never be witnessed using it. Use of Gates magic is a capital offense!

So while you might get really good at teleporting around inside the Gates school itself, you can't exactly use teleportation in all that many other circumstances. It would be more like a lore item (or a series of lore items) than a practical ability.

After all, you can never be witnessed using it. Use of Gates magic is a capital offense!

Teleport + Invisibility

Teleport + Set your personal tele-point to shady place like thief guild.

Teleport + Brain Washing Mystery

Teleport + Spell of Ignorance

How do you think all those tele wizard are able to get by and stay alive? :)

I've been think about this, and decided I'm against teleportation. It's the kind of thing that beats suspension of disbelief to death unless it has some huge restrictions on use, and even then it's a huge thing that can change an entire setting. Think about how awesome pirates in flying galleons are, and how much they'd cry if everyone just teleported to the next flying island instead of making themselves a choice target for pillaging.

You don't want to see a grown pirate cry, do you?

...unless it has some huge restrictions on use,

The fact that it's banned, difficult to learn, and difficult to find the surviving text/survivor.

Edit: Flying pirate seem possible to me...in alliance with powerful wizard that cast buff on them. We see it in many games too.

Edit 2: Oh, finally understand what you mean. WELL, suck to be a pirate. Linear Warriors Quadratic Wizards Rule.

Edit 3: Also, is not like wizard can rapidly cast the spell again, or have the fitness to cast numerous time anyway. (Depend on gaming setting)

The fact that it's banned, difficult to learn, and difficult to find the surviving text/survivor.

The ban just means don't get caught doing it, but if you can teleport everywhere your not likely to be caught easily. The other two just make it hard to learn, but it only takes one person who's willing to teach others, or at least prove that it's possible, and the knowledge spreads.

Now if you can only ever teleport once per day, that's a proper restriction. Similarly, if like in the Terminator you can only teleport your butt naked self, or if you could only teleport to a place in direct line of sight (your natural sight that is, telescopes is cheating), that would be a good reason why teleportation doesn't rule the world. But even then there are applications that would give a huge advantage to the user, and inevitably other people will see their advantage and try to gain it for themselves. And once the knowledge spreads, humans being both curious and greedy, the restrictions will be relaxed as science pushes the boundry.

That's why I don't like teleportation, it represents something like the invention of the computer, the automobile or even the wheel. Too big to handle.

if like in the Terminator you can only teleport your butt naked self,

Ahahahaha that would be awesome. There should be a event where our character caught in a naked situation. :lol:

or if you could only teleport to a place in direct line of sight

I would go with something weaker than this, otherwise assassin during the war can just tele-stab the king/queen.

Although I can't go too deeply into it, the way that Elumian Wizards understand Gates to work is inherently dangerous. Most Gates practitioners are loathe to teleport within Elumia, because the risk of disaster is quite high. Ouroukan Wizards seem to know the secret, and are able to teleport with greater (near 100% success), but their minds have been shattered since the Cataclysm of Monteon, and thus do not often impart their methods. :lol:

Archived