Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Pretty sure it's just a joke on the Team's end, though I'm nevertheless curious to hear the in-universe explanation for it.

EDIT: Are the various "Familiar Training" backgrounds going to have effects in Y2 and beyond (like, effects specific to having that background) or not? The reason is that I want to...add a few custom ones and mod a few others, but I'm not sure whether Y2 or the save converter is going to throw a fit or not.

Oh, the backgrounds added will be purely "Familiar gets this and that" backgrounds, no real roleplaying value to gain or lose.

Edited by Metis

9. What is the worst alcohol related incident at the academagia, at least in recent memory?

Hahaha! There's at least one which happens in Y1....as to ones in the past, I think we have to make that discoverable, perhaps in 17. ;)

I think I may have seen that past event just futzing around in the modtools for my personal mod. If this is it, and it's still canon, then it's uh, quite the doozy. The text is in white below since I guess since it's not normally discoverable it could be considered a spoiler.

Passing a (Charm/Gates Method v. 10) Roll will immediately reduce your Chance Of Discovery to such a stage where you can sit on a professor's head without being caught for two days - or, more clinically, drops it 999%. It's the only way to be sure.
If you cast the spell in a truly marvelous and entertaining way (Charm/Satyric Revelry v. 21), your muddled professors will actually thank you for letting them relax (subconsciously)!
Which is to say, you will enjoy a one-point expansion to relationships with all professors.
Sena De Mury was one of the most famous students ever expelled from the Academagia - her feat of causing the school to utterly dissolve into drunken revelry for a whole month served as a rather unique and humorous example of Gates abuse, even in well-meaning hands.
If you can call a party animal summoning hundreds of satyr spirits upon Academagia in order to make them sing their party-inducing song well-meaning, that is.
And, luckily for your teachers, this version of the spell only summons enough baby satyrs to make them really, really yearn for their afternoon tea party instead!
Okay, a really, really wild tea party.

Here's to hoping someone developed an anti-hangover spell at some point...

Missed this earlier:

Edit: You really hate arithmetic yet your avatar picture is of a math-geek? Irony.

I like Minamimoto not for his fascination with math (or his name, because argh), let's just say that. I could actually change my avatar picture, but than I'd actually have to "make"/find a new one and, eh, effort :mellow:...

EDIT: On second thought I'd edit it but apparently the forum either doesn't like the new one or it needs a moment to update. Might have something to do with the new one being over 10 times larger in file size despite the fact that it's the same 150p .png that Minamimoto is. I'onno know :unsure:.

EDIT 2: So changing avatars is currently completely broken, apparently. That's a shame...

EDIT 3: Correction: Only uploading a custom avatar directly is completely broken. Which is a shame, but hey, at least I got something to work -_-. Mot isn't here to stay, BTW, it's just the first reasonably sized imagine I could find. I'll see about getting the proper one to work...

Edited by Metis

1) Would you mind to point out what backgrounds will have the bigest addetional effects in year 2 and in what direction they will go?

-Right now we know that things like wealth and heritage will have a big influence on your summer holliday.

-Wealth also set the maximum allowance you get from your parents.

-The secret background will become a pain in the neck as it becomes a class that need a full timeslot Mo-Fr.

(Why cant the up to 2 extra class and the secret backgrond use the same time slot so that it works like a normal class time slot if you manage to have all 3)

2) Is it planed to make the time consuming extra class or secret background also be used by some NPC student?

3) will it be possible to visit your parents in Y2 with a free time slot when they live in mineta?

4) can we visit our fare away lvining parents during the winter break of Y2 or is this not possible do to the tuition that have to be paid then?

5) Will there be events / adventures in Y2 that demand from the player to visit their parents? And if so would the player get free from the school if the family lives fare away?

Schwarzbart;

1) No comments on the Background, although they all have impacts, great or small.

2) Is it planed to make the time consuming extra class or secret background also be used by some NPC student?

Extra Class possibly, but no on Secret Background.

3) will it be possible to visit your parents in Y2 with a free time slot when they live in mineta?

Yes, it's possible.

4) can we visit our fare away lvining parents during the winter break of Y2 or is this not possible do to the tuition that have to be paid then?

It depends only on how far away they are.

5) Will there be events / adventures in Y2 that demand from the player to visit their parents? And if so would the player get free from the school if the family lives fare away?

None that I am aware of. But it could be possible.

Hey, Legate, I just got done rewatching Charlotte's Web. (The original. I don't watch remakes of classics that are well regarded.)

And I just had to ask if any of the spider familiars have ever been known to write in their webs and if any of the 1st year familiars have done so?

Edit: Did I ask this question before? I have a case of deja vu

Edit Edit: forum search turned up nothing.

1. Can you tell us how long each class takes in a day? and how long is given to move from one class to another? My guess is an hour a class and 15 minutes for rushing to the next class. That would make classes from about 8am to 3:30 pm. though thinking about it, I don't think we've ever asked how time is kept in setting.

2. As I have never read a lot of classical fantasy literature, (Only the first Lord of the Rings, and before the movies came out) and with the game being inspired by Tales of Earthsea, I am curious if you could tell me what you think about the Studio Ghibli film, apparently it was quite different. I do own it and it was kind of difficult to get through, probably because I haven't read the books and they were overly ambitious with it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_Earthsea_%28film%29

3. What time of the year is the best time to get your hands on a few pieces of Volnauge at a decent price? I imagine that the harvests are done on a yearly basis, and very controlled to ensure a consistent supply.

4, What are orthographic runes in comparison to phemes? Are they merely 2d representations of them or something else?

5, Can you tell us the name of any particularly infamous contemporary Mastery wizard who would probably still be known despite the bans and suppression of history?

6. You once told us how the college buildings once looked like from the inside. Could you tell us a bit about Ickanicix and Kazus halls? You said that they were converted to general use, that rooms still could probably be used for their original purposes if the bans were repealed, and that a lot of old sentimental scholastic memorabilia could still be found there, but as far as architecture goes, do they have any unusual properties? Does Ickanicix hall have rooms with no doors? :) Does Kazus hall have any hallways that just wind around and get you confused? ;) Any oppressive atmospheres in some places?

Well, I've heard enough of opinions of both to believe that. Of course there remains the possibility that most of the academagia similarities have yet to be seen. I was merely probing on the Legate's opinion of such.

7) will the good girl course take time in year 2 or is it only year 1 Avila students who take them? (I just don't see where the lecture could be placed from the time if we get the 4th timeslot for nearly free use)

@freespace

1) I personal supect each timeslot is 4h what means your probably right on the 1h per class and 15 min to move. This also means the day is probably split in 6 timeslots with 2 reserved for sleep so we can use the 4 other in year 2 with the 4th actual usualy taken by homework and dinner.

Yeah, although if your theory is true it would be more like 20 minutes to move from class to class. Given how big campus is, that is more likely anyway.

8. How common are wands? Especially among those untrained magically? Do children pester their parents for wands for their birthday. even if they can't cast a single spell?

1. Can you tell us how long each class takes in a day? and how long is given to move from one class to another? My guess is an hour a class and 15 minutes for rushing to the next class. That would make classes from about 8am to 3:30 pm. though thinking about it, I don't think we've ever asked how time is kept in setting.

Each Class is around 1 hour, as you suspect. The whole slot is 4 hours in length.

2. As I have never read a lot of classical fantasy literature, (Only the first Lord of the Rings, and before the movies came out) and with the game being inspired by Tales of Earthsea, I am curious if you could tell me what you think about the Studio Ghibli film, apparently it was quite different. I do own it and it was kind of difficult to get through, probably because I haven't read the books and they were overly ambitious with it. https://en.wikipedia...Earthsea_(film)

As Dyrhet notes, neither Academagia or the Studio Ghibli version of Earthsea are very like the books, but both draw from source in various ways. One major spoiler is very definitely inspired by Earthsea. ;)

3. What time of the year is the best time to get your hands on a few pieces of Volnauge at a decent price? I imagine that the harvests are done on a yearly basis, and very controlled to ensure a consistent supply.

Wood is usually cut in the summer and sold in the fall, although there are some special cuts for certain seasonal qualities.

4, What are orthographic runes in comparison to phemes? Are they merely 2d representations of them or something else?

They are essentially geometric compressions of Phemes.

5, Can you tell us the name of any particularly infamous contemporary Mastery wizard who would probably still be known despite the bans and suppression of history?

Hmmm. The Lores can tell you about the Invictus Rebellions. ;)

6. You once told us how the college buildings once looked like from the inside. Could you tell us a bit about Ickanicix and Kazus halls? You said that they were converted to general use, that rooms still could probably be used for their original purposes if the bans were repealed, and that a lot of old sentimental scholastic memorabilia could still be found there, but as far as architecture goes, do they have any unusual properties? Does Ickanicix hall have rooms with no doors? :) Does Kazus hall have any hallways that just wind around and get you confused? ;) Any oppressive atmospheres in some places?

Really, we should prepare a description. I'll ask the team. :)

7) will the good girl course take time in year 2 or is it only year 1 Avila students who take them? (I just don't see where the lecture could be placed from the time if we get the 4th timeslot for nearly free use)

That is an excellent question. To the best of my knowledge, it does not take a slot. It's assuming to be short enough in duration (during tea time) that it's necessary to take a full slot. I may be wrong, though.

8. How common are wands? Especially among those untrained magically? Do children pester their parents for wands for their birthday. even if they can't cast a single spell?

They are generally limited to mages- in some cities and nations, it is illegal to possess a wand unless you are a mage (and, generally, illegal to hide one if you possess one, too.) Children undoubtedly pester their parents for one, though. :)

Yeah, although if your theory is true it would be more like 20 minutes to move from class to class. Given how big campus is, that is more likely anyway.

As we now know the 4h for the timeslot and the 1h for class are correct I still think its only 15 min to move to the class and 30 Min from the 1st and the 2nd timeslot are used to have a 1h lunch break. In this calculation I expect that 1h of the 2 sleep timeslot time is used to get ready in the morning, have breakfeast and move to the 1st class room and the 3rd timeslot start outside of the class room of the last class of the day.

If we would need more then 15 Min to move between class the class time have to be shorter as it is known from events that we have a long enough lunch break to even eat in the city what in return means the 1h for lunch is the absolut minimum.

Edit: Because the 1h in the morning is to filled up I even think it might be just 10 Min we have to move between class. This would also go along with events where you arive to late to class when you have to make a slight detour.

They are essentially geometric compressions of Phemes.

So...Geometry, probably Arithmetic as well would be good classes/skills to learn if you plan on going into Orthography?

For #6:

"Icanicix's old halls haven't entirely been repurposed; most of the old campus workshops (and even some of the senior dormitories) have been sealed off. Of those structures that remain open to the student body, though: the "doorless quarters" are the stuff of campus legend, but there aren't really that many of them. Instead, what's lost are the hidden workshops and towers in other counties and on other islands. For obvious reasons, the college had the most geographically diverse holdings of the entire school, and now a lot of it is lost and waiting to be rediscovered.

It's the subtle things that linger in the old Icanicix buildings: classrooms where the light seems strange because the windows occasionally look out on skies thousands of miles to the east, and little-used hallways where you can hear echoes from unknown places. The Vault of the Voices is the most extreme example.
As for Kazus: no, the labyrinth of shadows was torn down, and the old Still Red Rooms (for meditation) were ripped apart brick by brick and reassembled in the interests of caution. [school legend actually has it that the Calomantia Gym used to be part of the Dream Annex, before Calomantia Nescardo paid for its renovation.]
But, really, the main issue there is that everything of possible magical interest was stolen within days of the college's closure. The world's great Masters weren't about to let anyone burn, brick, or seal away anything that could be saved - even a couple of small buildings simply went missing."