Black Chicken Studios Forums

I did it!

freespace2dotcom

@albert: Purple Wizard of Tai is a background suggestion from me you can find it in the Writer's Corner if you want to look already.

As mentioned I would have to reduce the number of Adventures, build up of the familiar and build up & use favor to get even better skills but the price would get to high for my taste.

(i.e. the familiar adventure was 12 adventure calls and the training for the familiar to get trough easy needed twice as many time slots)

Ok then :) Yeah, the familiar is fairly timeslot intensive, especialy getting the Bond to a high enough level.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@albert: Purple Wizard of Tai is a background suggestion from me you can find it in the Writer's Corner if you want to look already.

As mentioned I would have to reduce the number of Adventures, build up of the familiar and build up & use favor to get even better skills but the price would get to high for my taste.

(i.e. the familiar adventure was 12 adventure calls and the training for the familiar to get trough easy needed twice as many time slots)

OMG you made my day ! :D

Purple Wizards of Tai/Red Wizards of Thay. Reallly Schwarzbart ? I imagine it was reaally hard to find a name for your school. :P

• 4 months later...

Just completed my latest Avila girl, who'll be my template for my character I'll be taking into Year 2.

I completed all the quests that I had planned, as well as a few that weren't strictly necessary. I still really enjoy the Crow adventure line! Hope it has a sequel.

Her best friends were Ana and Aaran. Though she had really high affection with Neta by the end.

Stats ended up as 7/6/6/3/11/13/8 without any emotions.

Class wise, she scored #1 in Astrology (210) Arithmetic (140) Incantation (131) , and 2nd place in Geometry (110) Music (112) and Athletics (114)

Arithmetic- 10/14. Astrology- 10/21. Athletics- 10/13. Geometry- 10/11. Incantation- 10/13. Music- 10/11.

I also nearly maxed Rhetoric somehow?? She just lacked famous speeches.

Key skills for her character were also maxed! Climbing, Knots, Cartography, Pride of a Rebel Queen, Acrobats, Navigation, Dance, Music Theory, and Archery.

Didn't manage to trigger the random that gives you firestone earrings, or 2 of Aaran's 3? events, or the Gate related randoms. Or most of the Avila related ones. Sigh.

I raised Everard Equation to 13, and maxed Pamela's bond, but didn't train her in anything. Also had perfect attendance.

Level 10 affection with some of her professors- Evdokseia, Knoht, Orsi, and Badcrumble.

I had about 36 actions remaining when I finished my last "must do" quest, it would probably be in the 50s if I dropped raising some of her aesthetics skills. So I could squeeze in some quests or stuff. I spent it maxing out Insects (for well of flies) and uh other stuff. Mostly raised her glory.

Next time I'll use "Today an Adventure" to see about getting the randoms I missed out on.

I want to turn around and start again, or see about working on my Godina character? But She isn't the daughter of Sky Pirates and is thus less cool.

Next time I'll use "Today an Adventure" to see about getting the randoms I missed out on.

In my opinion its not worth it to spend a timeslot to increase the Random Event chance. Better use items that give you a higher chance for it as wasting a timeslot for the chance of 1 skill step increase. (Spend 1 time slot for just getting one step increase usually is not worth it except in adventures because there you get a attribute reward when finished with the chain for most)

Edit: Also the RE depend on your relationship with other NPCs, your class, your college, your familiar, previous done events and so on. That's why I'm sure I didn't see all of them.

Remember that DLC 17 is going to be a thing eventually, and it's slated to (hopefully?) have quite a bit of Avila-based content, so perhaps wait on that before committing to a Y2 save file. And play though some other adventures with kids from other Colleges to make sure you don't get burned out in the mean time, because rest assured, there will be a lot of mean time.

I haven't seen all the randoms, but there are some that I like and want to have encountered in my final save.

(I especially liked the one where some girls are gossiping about how there is a rumor that the PC is a gates mage, and then you can summon locusts or something to distract them.)

I'm def waiting for DLC 17 before I start on my final save, I just want to make sure I can meet the goals I've set for my student.

My goals for my Avila girl were easily met. The ones I had planned for my Hedi girl though, ouch. It was a tight fit. She was also harder to play, since her only trained magic was Glamour and Gates, and the rest was very diplomatic-y stuff. I'm still figuring out what background stuff I want for my Godina girl, since I'm trying to make my students a little different. Otherwise the only thing different would be their classes.

I may try another college, I've only ever done Avila, Hedi, and Godina. We'll see though, I'm a creature of habit and tend to resist trying new things?

Yeah, limiting yourself magic-wise is a great way to, eh...well, to be blunt, shoot yourself in the own foot. As for backgrounds, unless you're able to skirt around the all-important attribute points you're pretty much locked into a small number of them. You could use the mod tools to try and mitigate that, but...it won't be easy. If you can, though, it frees up a ton of options.

Or for the more vanilla-inclined, look at the various Flaws. Very few of them I consider worthy power-gaming wise (yes, even the reputation ones), but character wise, you could invent some fun stuff with them. And they give background points instead of taking one, too, so the attribute standard isn't compromised.

I only take 2 backgrounds that add points. So everything starts at 1, except Fitness and Charm which are at 2.

My current background selection is-

Blood Moon, Merilien, Sky Pirates, Wealthy, Secret Heritage, Secrets and Silence, Vihuelan School of Music and Magic, Family Heirloom (which requires restarting till I get the Enchanted Ruby), and Charming and Sly for Pamela.

Days 2 and 3 are spent befriending Ana and Aaran, then I raise my study levels to 10 (7 for Incantation, since the other 3? get boosted by the quest) and I try and get War and Planning to level 2 asap, then I can focus on quests. I don't normally try doing any quests longer than 1~2 steps till after The Dance of Fools. Normally by then I can squeeze by the easier ones. I save the harder ones for later in the year, like the Crows or the Main Quest. It should be noted that I am more then willing to reload if I fail a step. If it takes to long though, I'll come back to it later.

That's a very...ominous combination, I have to say. Surprising that you'll accept starting with such low attributes, though. If I have more than one or two dumpstats at 1 at the start I'd rapidly lose my mind. So many skill steps and dry rolls...

Incidentally, do you know about the tutorial Insects investigation trick, for unlocking Planning and War (well, 2/3rds of War) super early?

what you could try is to take different familiar or learn Zoology to 11 so you can exchange your familiar for a exotic one. But if you plan to use Exchange Familiar don't spend background points on your familiar.

For DLC 17 I personal might go first for a Durand student with maybe Astrology, Music and Incantation. With the new School and the Secret Background as fixed backgrounds ;). But with the next DLC I need to have a closer look at the study rewards as nearly all good class skills have a nice way to train them outside of class. Dialectic is the only sure class for me with all College as it give a fast way to train Religion and Study max give insight.

I didn't know about that trick! That is good to know, I'm making a note of it.

As for familiars, I actually like Pamela. I couldn't trade her in. I'm also partial to the Muffler, Doll, and Faux Dragon. I've always wanted to make a green thumb type character though, with the plant familiar and botany and such. It could be interesting.

I've only taken Dialectic on my Hedi girl, and she had a rough start at first. But by mid-year she was doing very well for stats. I've never studied Religion on any of my characters, even though Cleanse and Remake (?) is suppose to be good? I just never really bother buffing. Except early on when I need to clean up the library, since that can be a hard roll before mid-terms for me.

You'd be amazed where early skills can be hidden. For example, the Creativity non-option during Oan's spellcasting tutorial? Expands Playfulness, which leads to Bon Vivant, which is a semi-permanent +1 Luck and +1 Wit. Playfulness 8 is a slog to get early, especially with low Luck, and of course you'll be missing out on Diction, I think I was, but it's an option.

Cleanse and Remake is, by far, the best buffing spell in the game, bar none. It's quite possibly the most powerful spell in the game, even, especially early on when you have low attributes and raising them noticeably decrease the amount of skill steps necessary to increase skills. The downsides are that it's not reliable for buffing (it might add +5 to practically any roll, it might actually lower it by 1, either/or), it locks you out of Golden, which is +1 Charm and +40 PA, and of course the time spend casting it is time you could have spend doing something more permanent. I personally have never used it either, but just looking at it's effects...yeah. If you can set it up, boy howdy, is it going to work.

I personal don't see it a waste to skip a class on Friday for casting Cleanse and Remake and then have 8+ time slot to train skills beyond the current real attributes or get trough some nice adventures early.

The big issue is the early adventures, if you time it right (get the adventures to the attribute stage or at most one before) that one Cleanse and Remake spell can get you half a dozen+ attribute points, those points then push your scores high enough to you get past some of the lower level adventures to get you a few more points, and then you are off. After you've got 20-30 attribute points up one of your adventures should always be do-able.

Stacking more than 2 cleanse-and-remake spells is however of questionable merit.

Yeah, the nice thing about Cleanse and Remake is that it's a rather indiscriminate way to bootstrap yourself past early adventures since the bonus is so all-encompassing. I've been able to do very well for myself without it by using Ausdauer and location bonuses to cherry pick excellent clique members early and skipping Piety entirely but such a route requires a bit of luck and a stricter adventure order since the best clique bonuses are predominately Luck and Charm related.

• 2 months later...

The big issue is the early adventures, if you time it right (get the adventures to the attribute stage or at most one before) that one Cleanse and Remake spell can get you half a dozen+ attribute points, those points then push your scores high enough to you get past some of the lower level adventures to get you a few more points, and then you are off. After you've got 20-30 attribute points up one of your adventures should always be do-able.

Stacking more than 2 cleanse-and-remake spells is however of questionable merit.

How early on can you get cleanse and remake? With effective class skipping I can get all attributes to 5 or 6 in the first month or so, so I'm curious as to whether adventure attribute bonuses from cleanse and remake is comparable on the same time scale.

That greatly depends on a number of factors (backgrounds, clique members, available adventures, luck, willingness to savescum...), though on average I'd say it's not going to get you to straight 6s in a month. The big thing is that Cleanse and Remake is entirely unreliant (which I swear is a word, but my spellchecker is telling me otherwise) on being enrolled in +attribute classes, Cliquing with the...what, 5 or 6 +attribute students, and rushing all the +attribute skills, so it's a lot more available. All you need is some starting cash and knowledge of the Temple of Iudocia location, which is either Theology 1 or an ED 3 - easier than passing the Explore roll itself.

How many actions though? And how many actions per adventure?

Way to Cleans and Remake with Dialectic class, Insight 4 and at last 25 pim start:

1 - Class Adventure for Theology 1

2 - 6 Temple of Iudocia for Durand's Prayer Grove and Beseech Pheme

7 - 8 Give Charity and Work for Pray 7 and Cleanse and Remake

9 cast Cleanse and Remake first time with Prayer Grove and some reloading as 7 + 2 = 9 Piety vs 13 to roll = ~50% chance with Insight 4

10-12 Give Charity and Work to max Piety so that the you have next to no failure chance.

Insight 3 need 1 more Give Charity and Work or 1 more Temple or Iudocia and more rerolls (That is how I do it usually in my recent games where I start with Insight 1)

with Insight only 2 it get lot more difficult as you actual have to learn Piety to 8 to at last have a chance in the roll.

Way to Cleans and Remake with Dialectic class, Insight 4 and at last 25 pim start:

1 - Class Adventure for Theology 1

2 - 6 Temple of Iudocia for Durand's Prayer Grove and Beseech Pheme

7 - 8 Give Charity and Work for Pray 7 and Cleanse and Remake

9 cast Cleanse and Remake first time with Prayer Grove and some reloading as 7 + 2 = 9 Piety vs 13 to roll = ~50% chance with Insight 4

10-13 Give Charity and Work to max Piety so that the you have next to no failure chance.

Insight 3 need 1 more Give Charity and Work or 1 more Temple or Iudocia and more rerolls (That is how I do it usually in my recent games where I start with Insight 1)

with Insight only 2 it get lot more difficult as you actual have to learn Piety to 8 to at last have a chance in the roll.

How many actions is that?

You quote my post but realy didn't see that I did the exact numbering of time slots? (Ok I made a mistake in the number you need after the first cast of this spell)

So again With Insight 4 its 9 for the first cast of Cleanse and Remake and then 3 more to get reliable.

With Insight 3 its 1 time slot more you need for a total of 13.

It depend on how you plan to play your game. I for example hate it to make 20-100 reroll just to get a specific NPC in your clique when I instead could be already in the 2nd month using the same time playing the game. (I usual stop latest after 5-10 try on a single thing before I change my plan)

Archived