Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

That video is blocked by copyright...uh....

WMG?

Did you include audio or something?

hmm yeah, it got blocked by WMG but only in America. Only thing playing was the academagia soundtrack though, guess they have right to them over in ye old US of A?

I have removed the sound from the original, you should be able to see it now legate

• 2 weeks later...

Please add relationship numbers beside the professors' names in the favour menu, so that players can easily see which professors they are in favour with. This is already implemented with various relationship-boosting selection menus, so it seems reasonable to add it for favour selection.

Also, it would be nice to have exam days marked not just "Exam" but rather as "[Subject] Exam" in the calendar.

First, I'm fairly certain that I'm not the first to wish that one's starting Stress and Vitality Maximum could be 4 without having to spend a background point; in fact, I'd vote that reducing the starting value to 2 (and possibly dropping maximum Temperance and Endurance a point in the same blow) would be worth a bonus background point. As-is, it's annoying that I'm basically forced to spend a background point on every character build just to make sure that if I take a 2-3 point hit (say from Marchant bullying me) I don't get sick the next day automatically with no way to avoid it other than abusive levels of save-scumming. This was basically why I abandoned my first character attempt outright, I even missed my first day of school on that game!

Second, I'd love to see more flirtatious options in events and adventures. I just experienced Sententae, used Sleuth to confirm a girl had done the prank, and got horrifically disappointed that I couldn't say use a Flirt or Innuendo (to let her realize that I'm joking) roll to make a big joke out of "confessing my eternal love" (especially if netted me a bonus skill step in say Romance, Dating, Practical Jokes, or Playfulness along with improving my relationship with her) and dancing with her or something. I also remember having seen earlier an event where a girl's familiar stole my wand, and when I caught up with her I was given an option to try and blackmail her; even if it was limited to those with "on the prowl" (which admittedly I don't have on this character), there should've been an option to offer "I'll call it even for a kiss" with a Flirt roll that either gets a peck on the cheek before she runs off giggling or results in her running around embarrassing you by telling everyone how you're in love with her if you fail. Another such random event I saw involved a girl's hair being turned blue; it really seemed like a flirtatious option would've fit there perfectly, at least assuming one has that particular background component. In contrast, the event where a girl was upset that there was a false rumor of her having kissed someone did seem like it would've been awkward at best to insert something there, so no complaint on that one. I can understand wanting to minimize such activity with 11 year olds, which is why I wouldn't suggest more than words with giggles, blushes, and maybe one or two pecks on the cheek, but with the contrast of that other event I saw where Marchant was ambush-kissed by Joana and promptly fainted, it kind of feels like this area of characterization was abandoned after someone started to explore it, which is a real shame IMO.

Third, a few additional background ideas: 1, at least informing if not levels in all the Mastery skills would be nice; the best way I can think of without just creating a variant of the secret heritage background to do this would be to say your character got mixed up with a cult at some point (possibly also giving other skill boosts, such as Manipulation), albeit I can see why it might be difficult to figure out how to implement such a thing. 2, you were an outright bully at some point, with bonuses to Bully skills (at least Insult, Intimidation, and Tease) should exist (I'm thinking a Deed: Bully that also hits 2-3 random or bully-prone student relationships), and preferably change the part of the adventure with Oan so you have to pass some sort of Lie/Deceit/Acting/Bluff roll or her mouse bites you (for damage or no, I don't care), cutting off the adventure prematurely and possibly resulting in the quest chain derailing completely. 3, an Orphan option that disables Correspond and prevents you from also taking most if not any of the Family and Station options, but is balanced by big bonuses to thief-type skills so it doesn't actually have to grant a background bonus point; maybe the address on the letter then becomes where your family used to live before they died when you were a small child (and the new tenants were willing to let you use it like a PO box), maybe it's the orphanage you were taken to, after having lived on the streets for years, mere months before the letter arrivals.

Fourth, if the rumor I saw about there being special events during the summer are true, they should take all your background components and your actions at Academagia into account. If you're from a black sheep of a family of ill repute (Pirate Grave Robbers with Secret Heritage, for example) who is a known hero (Lone Sentinel, Negated, Prodigy: Spiritual, got the event where you reported to the captain of the guard on the Thieves Guild planning an assassination attempt), you should see the authorities come to your rescue; in contrast, if you're a black sheep of a family of good repute (Religious, any of the Descended options) and you have a bad rep (multiple demerits and reprimands, Life of Avarice, Secrets and Silence, maybe even Eclipse and/or Three Suns), it gets even worse for you.

I'll probably come back with more ideas later.

3 hours ago, avigor said:

First, I'm fairly certain that I'm not the first to wish that one's starting Stress and Vitality Maximum could be 4 without having to spend a background point...

Considering how many backgrounds have been added that add an attribute point along with a number of goodies I don't especially feel like this is necessary. Used to be that you spend half your BGPs in the Talent screen and got maybe a handful of others through backgrounds, nowadays you can build a 13-point character by taking a few flaws entirely out of attribute point backgrounds.

Second, I'd love to see more flirtatious options in events and adventures...

As you've mentioned the student's age is really the limiting factor here, although if only for an On the Prowl PC I'd say your suggestions are pretty spot-on. Especially if, as I suspect, that Familiar stealing event was Miya's Familiar.

As for Joana and Philippe's first kiss event, Joana actually put on something like tranquillizer lipstick beforehand, which is why Philippe got knocked out cold. It's...one of those fan-made Academagia events, really.

Third, a few additional background ideas:

Don't expect new backgrounds to be added as accounting for them in Y2 is quickly approaching the level of a logistical nightmare, but as for your suggestions:

1. There's actually a Mastery school background sort of thing in the game already, just not as openly advertised as such compared to the Secret Heritage background. Ironically enough.

Academy: Purple Wizards of...Thai? Some reference or 'nother, I forget.

2. It's true there isn't a real "bully" background, but a combination of Battle Born (+5% CoS on Hostile Actions) and Blood Moon should paint an accurate enough picture. As for cutting Oan's adventure short, that would be a really bad penalty to impose on a character, actually. Like, flaw background level bad.

3. An interesting idea, but again, Y2 logistics makes it unlikely to be added. As far as I've heard Black Sheep is the next best background.

Fourth, if the rumor I saw about there being special events during the summer are true, they should take all your background components and your actions at Academagia into account...

There's a reason why Y2 logistics are a concern, rest assured.

Could there be added in spell descriptions a clear indication near the top of each spell's description of the school/pillar of magic that each spell belongs to? this would be useful because not all spells require rolls against their pillars; Induce Coma, for example, is a mastery spell, yet that is not obvious from its implementation, which uses a role against natural philosophy.

• 2 weeks later...

Schwarzbart;

I don't know- on the one hand, you're correct about that if you practice save/loading, but on the other...they are meant to represent a high risk activity that you could choose to do, but probably won't succeed at. In that regard, it's almost more a matter of preferred play style.

It's an interesting puzzle. :)

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:55 AM, Metis said:

2. It's true there isn't a real "bully" background, but a combination of Battle Born (+5% CoS on Hostile Actions) and Blood Moon should paint an accurate enough picture. As for cutting Oan's adventure short, that would be a really bad penalty to impose on a character, actually. Like, flaw background level bad.

It doesn't have to completely end the quest line, it could just as easily end that one chapter early and have the next chapter explain that Oan contacted the Legate with apologies that she couldn't continue as your mentor, or maybe even insert another chapter where she makes one attempt to "redeem" you by taking you to the temple or such (where to keep her, you must pass some sort of Character/Ethics skill check to honestly promise that you will leave or have left that life behind) before continuing as normal, otherwise you get another mentor and different story text for the rest of the quests, with Oan becoming more a background character who is suddenly wary of you. Granted, that is a lot more work to do so it's not realistic to expect it; if it does happen, I'm expecting it'll be a fan-made mod. Hmmm, is it possible to make a quest detect what actions you've taken in-between chapters, such as detecting if you used any sort of "bullying" actions in-between chapters? If so, that could make for some fun with her ranting at you if break your promise...