Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Well, I was wondering if,

there is snow in the areas around Mineta. (perhaps depending on the time of year?) :)

students share some of their classes with those of senior years. (like if you wanted to study incantations in second year but didn't in first - would you get to sit together with first-years?)

the fluid to water spell has a name. It might have, but I don't remember the event offhand - which is a shame.

Will there be classes in natural philosophy in the later years. (and if possible who teaches this class? :))

(And a few other things while I was writing a shortstory last night, but I forgot to write that down :))

Adrian;

There is definitely snow- the weather in Mineta is fully seasonal due to the Current of Embers, which brings all kinds of weather. The general climate of this area of Elumia is much more mild, however.

Students do share classes, although in Year 1 and Year 2 I do not think you will see that. Year 3 is probably the earliest we'll do anything with Students of other classes, due to the size of that population. :)

Natural Philosophy is not a standard subject as outlined by the Praetexta Council, but there are some classes which are offered outside of the curriculum by visiting scholars, contracted for the purpose. I can't say I know what their name will be yet, but if you need it for your story, pm me and we'll see what we can do. :)

The 'radical' instruction in Revision magic really lends itself to Natural Philosophy. If the courses on offer from Academagia were more conservative, getting into Natural Philosophy would be even that much harder and less likely.

How do you imagine the airships? I was thinking a bit of your 1400th ships, just floating perhaps with small propellers to add an extra oomph in the addition to the sails.

How much would a ticket cost from one of the further islands? (not too important really, but I got kind of curious :))

Are there any signs after spells are cast? Residue, magical/pheme leftovers, or... something

My next question may be a bit racial, but are all summoned monsters (through gates or other) violent and/or 'evil'. (I feel blue eyed using a term like evil but heck, everything going against my players general health and/or future is evil!)

• Like 1

Adrian;

Most modern ships are similar to real-world sailing vessels of the 16th and 17th centuries, except that their sails can extend all around the ship, and they tend to take a more cylindrical shape accordingly.

Passage on such a ship is negotiated on distance and danger, the skills or reputation of the passenger, and the discomfort level tolerated by the captain. Most captains are eager to have a wizard aboard, especially Incantors and Revisers, and often give the passage freely for services rendered.

Residue from spells is dependent on the spell cast, but there is always a trace to be found if you are a good enough Enchanter or Reviser.

Few summoned monsters are evil, but almost all are violent: it's a byproduct of taking any animal, whisking them from wherever they were in an instant, and dumping them disoriented in a strange place, with strange smells, and a strange human standing right...near...by. :)

Right, glad that is settled then :)

Edit: oh, there aren't senient creatures/monsters out there... I kind of fancied the idea of a curious monster popping by. Tasting the local dishes (no, not the students) taking a trip to the canival and then headed home :)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of a few more,

Visitation rights, how would a student go about getting those? Ask a teacher or the proprietor... or something else entirely?

Are students allowed to leave the academagia/walk around in their free time(like in the evening), in their own choice of clothing?

Also, just to be clear: mentorship is something that is assigned to the second-year students right? Not something that you would have to apply for.

Adrian;

Visitation Rights are sparingly given, and at the discretion of the Regent of your College. As the years go by, though, you'll eventually get a free dispensation to visit most places.

Students are allowed to leave the Academagia, but it's frowned upon, mostly because of the generally tense relationship between the Academy and the City of Mineta. Too many young wizards, causing magical mischief can do that. ;)

Students are not allowed to wear their own choice of clothing without leave from the Regent of their College. By ancient law, Students must clearly be visible at all times. That's not to say that you can't just go and do it, if you aren't caught. No provision is made for that choice in Year 1, though. :)

Mentorship is assigned out, yes, and is 'voluntary'...but not really. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am unsure if this has been stated prior or if I missed a hint in the game, but are dorms devided by gender?

Are there guards at the collage houses at evening (to prevent students from leaving on mid-night adventures)?

Any rules or guidelines as to haircuts? (I am guessing so, but just to be clear)

How short a leash are familiars kept on? I was thinking from the school's point of view. Are they allowed to roam free, or are they too subjected to certain rules? I understand that it is generally prefered to keep your familiar close by, though certain students seem to actively send them out on errends. (Or did Cyrus get two familiars? :))

What I know is that Familiars are forbiden to enter certain classrooms even with theyr human. That means the humans cant keep theyr familiar close by during many classes.

Also from Events/Adventures it geting clear that its not unusual that familiars on theyr own for even prolonged periods (like the bat adventure).

Adrian;

Dorms are indeed separated by gender, and there are often guardians (usually magical constructs, rather than people) at the dorms.

Haircuts is an excellent question. Almost any style and/or magical augmentation is allowable, as long as it is not a classroom disturbance. That can be pretty subjective among Instructors, though. :)

Familiars are permitted the length of the campus, and some Classes do prohibit their attendance (due to classroom disturbance). It's not common in later years, though, when the Familiar takes on an increasingly helpful duties and responsibilities.

I wonder if there will be a New Class with the name Familiars where we got teached all things about Familiars and how to keep them under control during classes ect. :)

Especial some Familiar like the Pig my char have encounterd in the new questline sound like big problem when they have to stay during class ^^. (but Pssssttt... because I dont whnat to be anywere nearbe when this familiar go berserker)