Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. How frequently used is the death penalty in Elumina? Gates and Mastery Mages are sentenced in that way, and presumably murderers, but what about piracy? theft? robbery? writing books with politically illegal contents?

2. On a lighter note, I wonder whether Prudence's background is meant to be something of a mystery. Very undisciplined, very uninterested in thinking-type classes, yet taking rhetoric, grammar, and arithmetic yet not athletics! or am I overthinking her? I think that maybe she really wants to be a singer or actress (hence the random event where she challenges the PC to a singing contest and is taking rhetoric - also a good fit with her quarrelsomeness).

3. Is there disdain in Elumina for actors/entertainers/dancers?

1. Can you say how many classes there are in the Y2 class list?

2. Will you say how many classes there are in the Y2 class list?

3. How many Soldiers is the average wizard considered to be worth in warfare?

4. Since walking through an active gate isn't a crime in itself so long as you aren't it's creator, I want to ask if there are any known active gates that go to completely different dimensions, and if not, what were some of the more well known permanent active ones, and do their ruins still exist?

5. A bigger map of Mineta is said to come with Y2, will we see a more complete world map with Y2 as well?

6. Without going into actual skill names or anything, can you give us examples of tasks that are probably just out of reach of our character's skill levels at the end of Y1? (Or maybe just the utter limit for a super bright first year student..) I'm just curious about how well we would be able to come up with new spells or derivatives on the spot based on existing knowledge. If possible, give examples for each pillar. (including the illegal stuff, please. Could a first year summon a dragon if they for some crazy insane reason wanted to?)

7. While folks near the edge of an island likely just chuck their garbage over the edge, how do more innerly located places deal with the problem? Is that part of the reason why Mineta has places where you can fall through in the undercity?

8. While there have been mentioned other magics outside Gates and Mastery that are banned for one reason or another, are there any spells outside those pillars that have the death penalty attached to them?

9, Aside from the mentor system, can you tell us anything more about extra responsibilities that a second year student might be expected to share?

10.  i think we touched on this a little bit. but basically, even we didn't partake in a particular adventure, there's still a good chance that most of them were undertaken by someone, even if the actual events and outcome turns out differently?

Edit:

11. Any nows on the Emotion of Gates ? :)

Rhialto;

1. How frequently used is the death penalty in Elumina? Gates and Mastery Mages are sentenced in that way, and presumably murderers, but what about piracy? theft? robbery? writing books with politically illegal contents?

Fairly frequently, but it depends on where you are. Lese Majeste is usually punished by death.

3. Is there disdain in Elumina for actors/entertainers/dancers?

Definitely, yes.

1. Can you say how many classes there are in the Y2 class list?

Yes. :)

2. Will you say how many classes there are in the Y2 class list?

No. :)

3. How many Soldiers is the average wizard considered to be worth in warfare?

There isn't a simple calculus, because *what* the wizard can do will be a better determinant of their worth.

4. Since walking through an active gate isn't a crime in itself so long as you aren't it's creator, I want to ask if there are any known active gates that go to completely different dimensions, and if not, what were some of the more well known permanent active ones, and do their ruins still exist?

There aren't any known permanent active ones in operation in the present day. Many ruins exist, however.

5. A bigger map of Mineta is said to come with Y2, will we see a more complete world map with Y2 as well?

No, if only because the geographers don't know enough to make one.

6. Without going into actual skill names or anything, can you give us examples of tasks that are probably just out of reach of our character's skill levels at the end of Y1? (Or maybe just the utter limit for a super bright first year student..) I'm just curious about how well we would be able to come up with new spells or derivatives on the spot based on existing knowledge. If possible, give examples for each pillar. (including the illegal stuff, please. Could a first year summon a dragon if they for some crazy insane reason wanted to?)

While anything is possible, I think you have a decent enough understanding to make changes to the foundations of your magical knowledge, without anything really specialized.

7. While folks near the edge of an island likely just chuck their garbage over the edge, how do more innerly located places deal with the problem? Is that part of the reason why Mineta has places where you can fall through in the undercity?

No, in general it's carted to the edge. If that's not practical, it sometimes goes to a refuse dump.

8. While there have been mentioned other magics outside Gates and Mastery that are banned for one reason or another, are there any spells outside those pillars that have the death penalty attached to them?

Not in the present day, no.

9, Aside from the mentor system, can you tell us anything more about extra responsibilities that a second year student might be expected to share?

Yes, [redacted]! :)

10.  i think we touched on this a little bit. but basically, even we didn't partake in a particular adventure, there's still a good chance that most of them were undertaken by someone, even if the actual events and outcome turns out differently?

For the Main Stories, yes.

11. Any nows on the Emotion of Gates ? :)

None yet!

I take it that it was a deliberate choice on your part to ignore my speculation/thoughts about Prudence; that is fine :)

Will there be further ways to try to deal with Mr. Pebbles in Y2? and will there be possible ways for gates mages to create or summon or have another gates mage make or summon a better familiar? Finally, how common is it for mages to use the Exchange Familiars action?

I'm actually the one who wrote Mr. Pebbles' Adventures. So, apart from him returning, there may not be anything else to do about him until  I get the opportunity to play Y2, learn the new mechanics and 'feel' of the tone of the stories, and then write it down. I do have the basic ideas done though, and if the team  is nice enough  to give me a chance to test the y2 beta, there's a small chance V1.0 of Y2 will have my writing in it. Suffice to say, there will be a way to remove him as your familiar eventually....

..Although the first method you come across may have a price  most would be unwilling to pay... [insert  evil laughter here]

Freespace: That is all right. I rarely bother with familiar training, etc., when there are so many other things to do in the game. I actually like Mr. Pebbles, though, as a character, on those few occasions when my characters interact with him.

1) The combination of Revision and Artifices should be able to create stupid golem/ animate dead that can repeat the same action over and over, or?

2) Are there factories that use such stupid golems / animated dead for their production to reduce the cost even below what a wage slave would cost?

Then I'm really curious how they manage to get the magic for Battle Mace so cheap that they even can sell it as toys for children as each figure must have magic on them that hold for years that can't be much less complicated then simple animation magic that hold for years.