Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

When someone (not me!) uses the "Master" Spell on someone else, their relationship deteriorates. Why? I mean the the Spell has to be unnoticeable, otherwise the caster would be killed. So why does the person it is cast on know tjat something happened?

So even if you heal someone's mind with Mastery, they're going to be a bit 'eh' around you? Poor Mastery. No one likes it.

My stupid questions for the day.

A) Are the fae occasionally called the 'Fair Folk'? Because Fair Folk is an awesome name.

B) Why do b's always turn in to that stupid sunglasses guy when he looks more like an 8) smiley then a b-) smiley? He has two eye glasses, not one!

C) Are there many varieties of fae besides the sprites we usually run in to? I assume so, because of Leopold, but yes.

D) Is the Lady of the Lake a fae? Or is she just a [redacted]?

E) What are the most common alcoholic drinks served in Mineta?

F) Could a wolf stay in the dorms, or would it be restricted to the Zoology pens?

G) So, is Philippe aware of Joana's crush, and does he actually consider her a friend or just a weird stalker? Never got an answer to that one.

H) Oh, back on the fae subject... what are their courts like? Seelie and Unseelie? Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter? Just groups of personality surrounding a strong fae?

I) What does Honors usually write poetry about?

J) Why does Milena dislike Zoe so much? Simple jealousy, or something more?

K) How many classes do we get to take in year two?

Mikka;

A) Are the fae occasionally called the 'Fair Folk'? Because Fair Folk is an awesome name.

Probably yes. It is a cool name. :)

C) Are there many varieties of fae besides the sprites we usually run in to? I assume so, because of Leopold, but yes.

Yep!

D) Is the Lady of the Lake a fae? Or is she just a [redacted]?

She is [redacted].

E) What are the most common alcoholic drinks served in Mineta?

Ale.

F) Could a wolf stay in the dorms, or would it be restricted to the Zoology pens?

Hmmm, good question. They are larger than dogs, but not much more, so it might be fine.

G) So, is Philippe aware of Joana's crush, and does he actually consider her a friend or just a weird stalker? Never got an answer to that one.

He is probably aware, but in denial.

H) Oh, back on the fae subject... what are their courts like? Seelie and Unseelie? Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter? Just groups of personality surrounding a strong fae?

Cults of personality.

I) What does Honors usually write poetry about?

Honors' poetry basically comes in two flavors. The work she's most willing to share is more or less narrative, loosely based on history and legends - think "The Lady of Shalott" (though, at thirteen or fourteen, she's not up there with Tennyson yet). The work she's almost totally unwilling to share is state-of-mind work, much less formal in structure; some of it grapples with depression, some of it is Intro to Giddy Romantic Teenagerdom. She's terribly embarrassed by this group, but is just a bit too attached to it to go through with plans to burn it all.

J) Why does Milena dislike Zoe so much? Simple jealousy, or something more?

Milena comes from what we'd consider a fairly well-off merchant family. She grew up knowing she was smart - but also valuing hard work and reasonably fair play. She came to the Academy confident in her skills, and ready to earn some spending money by tutoring her fellow students.

Meanwhile, Zoe's really smart, and her family's in kind of a bad way. So, in the first year, she not only glided through her classes, she ended up making a small fortune helping her classmates cheat - which, of course, she justified as helping her family.

This really, really sticks in Milena's proverbial craw. As far as she's concerned, helping people cheat is bad enough, skewing the grading curve is terrible, but acting like it's totally defensible is the worst.

But there's another dimension to it as well: she's in Aranaz, and the prevailing ethical culture in Aranaz - especially among the older kids - would quietly applaud the kind of creative enterprise that Zoe managed (given that she didn't get expelled for it). Milena feels like people are constantly judging her for trying to stick to what she considers to be the rules, and she sees Zoe as more or less the embodiment of all that unfair pressure.

Of course, at the same time, Zoe never particularly liked being a criminal mastermind, and is trying to find ways to reform as she gets her feet under her - it's remotely possible the two girls could be friends by the time they're seniors, if they ever find a way to clear the air.

K) How many classes do we get to take in year two?

The same amount as a base.

Edit: For I & J.

Milena comes from what we'd consider a fairly well-off merchant family. She grew up knowing she was smart - but also valuing hard work and reasonably fair play. She came to the Academy confident in her skills, and ready to earn some spending money by tutoring her fellow students.

Meanwhile, Zoe's really smart, and her family's in kind of a bad way. So, in the first year, she not only glided through her classes, she ended up making a small fortune helping her classmates cheat - which, of course, she justified as helping her family.

This really, really sticks in Milena's proverbial craw. As far as she's concerned, helping people cheat is bad enough, skewing the grading curve is terrible, but acting like it's totally defensible is the worst.

But there's another dimension to it as well: she's in Aranaz, and the prevailing ethical culture in Aranaz - especially among the older kids - would quietly applaud the kind of creative enterprise that Zoe managed (given that she didn't get expelled for it). Milena feels like people are constantly judging her for trying to stick to what she considers to be the rules, and she sees Zoe as more or less the embodiment of all that unfair pressure.

Of course, at the same time, Zoe never particularly liked being a criminal mastermind, and is trying to find ways to reform as she gets her feet under her - it's remotely possible the two girls could be friends by the time they're seniors, if they ever find a way to clear the air.

Man, it's amazing how much I don't know about the game even after several playthroughs. I sense the last part means player intervention! :)

Not me, I'd have a plan in formulation to deal with the situation. One way or another...

I'm gonna get ya, get ya, get ya!

Question time: (I haven't done this in a while :))

1. Will we see a limit to the number of "advanced" (for your year) classes that you can take at once? or will it strictly be down to prerequisites?

2. Have there ever been any dragons that that was not very dragon-like personality wise? Or are they all iredeemably selfish?

3. If a giant chocolate cake was to appear in the instructors' lounge one morning... Would there be any questions asked/ hell raised? Anything else to happen? (aside for the cake magically disappearing, of course. :))

4. Will we have the ability to disguise our chocolate cakes as regular cakes? (I'm thinking now that the CCC might use that...)

5. If I (or any person from our modern era) found myself in Mineta right now, what do you think would be the most awe inspiring thing there?

6. Do any of the professors have nicknames that the students would call them? (unflattering or affectionate, or the rare one that's both.)

7. Given the nature of Gates magic, how would the instructors at Schowanwicht deal with a particularly nasty "OOPS!" problem? Do they have any plans? Or just expect to be able to undo it?)

8. Since pillars are at their highest levels almost mutually exclusive due to the time needed to master them, has there ever been a case of a sigle wizard (almost?) mastering 2 of them?

9. If Enchantment has it's own subskill of pallettes which are best for Enchantment, then why don't we see them in the other magical fields? I just can't see it as a big head start if we only have access to one of them anyway.

10. Which College tends to produce the most mages that go out and make a big name for themselves?

11. As a first year I loved the water balloon adventure. What kind of balloon was used for that? Is rubber Technology in Elumia much more advanced than it's real life counterpart? ;)

12. Speaking of the balloon adventure, What year were those upperclassmen I Tsunami'd?

13. I understand that in future years it very well may be possible to die depending on circumstances. Can you say if Gates/Mastery dabbling is the only way for this sort of thing to happen?

14. Is there any gum that never lose its flavor? :) Or is this too expensive to waste magic on? :(

15. When are we going to get access to the real juicy "Classical" incantation spells? I know that in some stories you perform fireballs and such but they and others seem sadly lacking in my spell list. :( (My actual favorite element is electricity, which while not part of the "classical" elements, still ought to be in there :angry: ) I realise that *maybe* a first year would be better off not learning them (and I'm only saying that to give you the benefit of doubt) but If I can't zap fools with lightning in Y2....

16. What was on the site of the Academagia before it was built? If I read it I don't seem to remember.

17. Given the fact that we're stuck wearing our uniform in Y1 (and Y2 if I recall...) and also given the upper city's knowledge of.. Erhem.. Pranksters, What are the odds that if something crazy and unexplained happens while you're around that everyone will start pointing their fingers on you? will we see a bit more of this relationship with the city and the campus?

18. As I recall, there are 2 versions of the praetexta court, the lesser and the greater. Has a student ever been summoned to the greater? (for good or for bad, though OUCH if it was for bad)

19. Magically speaking, how important are "Numbers" aginst "Skill?" I know any magical duel can be won or lost irregardless, but Obviously Orsi has fended of multiple attackers quite skillfully...

20. Exactly how "tidy" does the Library of Longshade become after you tidy it? Enough for you to gleam from it, or enough to impress librarians who saw the before & after.

21. I wasn't going to go past 20, but a fly is pestering me by flying in front of my monitor. What magic spells exist to deal with such vermin!?

5) for me one thing would be for sure the ongowing slow explosion of this tower at the academagia. But the strange creatures, beasts and plants of this world for sure would also be impressive. And dont forget all this flying things without wings like all the islands or the ships.

For 5 I just want it made clear that I was thinking more along the lines of magic effects that would make something that you might see in real life that much more incredible. if that makes any sense. :)

Edit: also, I think the vernin tower explosion is set in such a way that it wouldn't move at all to the naked eye.

The moon in real life moves a few inches away from the earth every year but we don't really notice that. Although just the sight of a frozen explosion would be quite interesting to see all in itself. :)

What the...questions!

1. Will we see a limit to the number of "advanced" (for your year) classes that you can take at once? or will it strictly be down to prerequisites?

As far as I am aware, only prerequisites matter.

2. Have there ever been any dragons that that was not very dragon-like personality wise? Or are they all iredeemably selfish?

There were three whose virtues outweighed their vices- you can read about them in the Lores, in fact. They were still all pretty selfish. :)

3. If a giant chocolate cake was to appear in the instructors' lounge one morning... Would there be any questions asked/ hell raised? Anything else to happen? (aside for the cake magically disappearing, of course. )

You, Freespace, would be expelled, and then the cake would be eaten.

4. Will we have the ability to disguise our chocolate cakes as regular cakes? (I'm thinking now that the CCC might use that...)

You mean, will such an ability be in the game? Sounds like you have found your modding purpose. :)

5. If I (or any person from our modern era) found myself in Mineta right now, what do you think would be the most awe inspiring thing there?

That would depend on the person. Undoubtedly, in your case, it would be the variety and richness of the chocolate cakes.

6. Do any of the professors have nicknames that the students would call them? (unflattering or affectionate, or the rare one that's both.)

There are a few - some students call Aventyrare "Professor Booma-Booma" just because "Aventyrare" is so tough for a Renaglian tongue to wrap itself around, and that would be a name that is, indeed, both unflattering and affectionate. Massioti is occasionally called "Old Rimbal-Head" when he's in some students' bad graces.

People who've had more than their share of run-ins with Professor Storey and his mighty detention slips have been known to call him "the Reaper," but that's a private joke; Jere Niemala would know who you were talking about, but Honors wouldn't have a clue.

Oh, and Professors Briardi and Badcrumble have been known to refer to one of the other teachers as "the Beagle." They won't say who they mean, and they won't say why, but it's the subject of much speculation (and frequent bouts of unsuccessful detective work from Lambert Cobo).

We will not discuss the nicknames that contain obscenities. ;)

7. Given the nature of Gates magic, how would the instructors at Schowanwicht deal with a particularly nasty "OOPS!" problem? Do they have any plans? Or just expect to be able to undo it?)

Oh they have a plan. It's also [redacted].

8. Since pillars are at their highest levels almost mutually exclusive due to the time needed to master them, has there ever been a case of a sigle wizard (almost?) mastering 2 of them?

2? Definitely. Rarely while in school, though. :)

9. If Enchantment has it's own subskill of pallettes which are best for Enchantment, then why don't we see them in the other magical fields? I just can't see it as a big head start if we only have access to one of them anyway.

Practically, every field would have one (and may yet, before the end.) It's most necessary to depict for Enchantment, however, because of the nature of the magic.

10. Which College tends to produce the most mages that go out and make a big name for themselves?

I am sure every College has reams of literature in which it describes its alumni as the best, most talented, and most successful. It's up to you to sort out the propaganda. :)

11. As a first year I loved the water balloon adventure. What kind of balloon was used for that? Is rubber Technology in Elumia much more advanced than it's real life counterpart?

No, it's definitely not more advanced- I believe those were revised water spheres.

12. Speaking of the balloon adventure, What year were those upperclassmen I Tsunami'd?

They were covered in the gnashing foam of waters and unfortunately you could not make out their Year. :)

13. I understand that in future years it very well may be possible to die depending on circumstances. Can you say if Gates/Mastery dabbling is the only way for this sort of thing to happen?

It can happen in Y2, and no, those are not at all the only ways.

14. Is there any gum that never lose its flavor? Or is this too expensive to waste magic on?

Violet Beauregarde would not consider it a waste. Bahahaha!

15. When are we going to get access to the real juicy "Classical" incantation spells? I know that in some stories you perform fireballs and such but they and others seem sadly lacking in my spell list. (My actual favorite element is electricity, which while not part of the "classical" elements, still ought to be in there ) I realise that *maybe* a first year would be better off not learning them (and I'm only saying that to give you the benefit of doubt) but If I can't zap fools with lightning in Y2....

You think the Instructors are eager to teach you that? C'mon! But in all seriousness they should begin to pop up in Y2.

16. What was on the site of the Academagia before it was built? If I read it I don't seem to remember.

An Observatory.

17. Given the fact that we're stuck wearing our uniform in Y1 (and Y2 if I recall...) and also given the upper city's knowledge of.. Erhem.. Pranksters, What are the odds that if something crazy and unexplained happens while you're around that everyone will start pointing their fingers on you? will we see a bit more of this relationship with the city and the campus?

The odds are good. Again, why the University doesn't want you out and about. ;)

18. As I recall, there are 2 versions of the praetexta court, the lesser and the greater. Has a student ever been summoned to the greater? (for good or for bad, though OUCH if it was for bad)

Yes, it's happened, and OUCH, it was bad.

19. Magically speaking, how important are "Numbers" aginst "Skill?" I know any magical duel can be won or lost irregardless, but Obviously Orsi has fended of multiple attackers quite skillfully...

Numbers have the edge.

20. Exactly how "tidy" does the Library of Longshade become after you tidy it? Enough for you to gleam from it, or enough to impress librarians who saw the before & after.

Enough for you to study from it, but a Librarian would still sneer.

21. I wasn't going to go past 20, but a fly is pestering me by flying in front of my monitor. What magic spells exist to deal with such vermin!?

Incantation has some good bug zappers. You should really look into it. :)

Then again, you could always use Gates...or Mastery...

Edit: For #6