Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Free;

1. Just how long ago was the reworking of Orthography in the curriculum?

Several centuries, at least- I'm not 100% on the date.

2. Just how obscure and forgotten is Orthography in public knowledge, as the endgame reference to it implies?

It's pretty obscure- most people would simply say it is Enchantment.

3. Aside from the Player Character, what kind of people would choose Aranaz as their college? Is it strictly because of legacy? (kids whose parents were Aranaz, and so on?) or is there a lot of "new blood"?

You'll have to ask von Rupprecht about that... ;)

4. Since according to the school, Orthography is merely a subset of Glamour and Enchantment, doesn't that imply that if you have some skill already in those areas you should be a little better than you would be otherwise?

No- Orthography is much more specific than your example above. Although the basis of Orthography has been shown to be Glamour and Enchantment, it was recognized as a fundamental Pillar for so long because the practice of it is very significantly different, far more so than just the Calligraphy would suggest. 89157Z is correct about the general principles of what happened to it, though. :)

Edit: I should add, that's fairly typical for most hybrid forms of magic. It's not that you can't replicate the effects of Orthography using Glamour and Enchantment, but rather that Orthography offers a method to get to those Effects which is much easier and more efficient.

5. Related to 4, As I am attempting to be an omnidisciplinarianist (ah I do love prefixes and suffixes!) I already have skill in both Glamour and Enchantment. If one or both of those classes were considered important for Aranaz would I be able to "competency" out of having to take them? This of course applies to all the college required courses if applicable!

Probably, yes.

What in the name of Octavius is that thing (freespace)?!

Continuing on

2) Witches are to be look down upon. So a great insult is to call someone a witch? What of warlocks?

4) So Professor Pachait is from the island that shall not be named. Interesting.

5) So how would you describe the difference between a griffin and a hippogriff?

6) So what do the dwarves do in the city instead of adventuring? Mining? Gem polishing? Making deals with Marc Sury?

7) Reading on how jedi's get their power (wow was it dumb), how did humans get magic? Is it hereditary or does every one have latent magical talents in them?

8) Will we ever meet Professor Leo's mysterious lady-friend?

Leoshi;

2) Witches are to be look down upon. So a great insult is to call someone a witch? What of warlocks?

Somewhat similar.

5) So how would you describe the difference between a griffin and a hippogriff?

It's the back legs, isn't it? Lion vs. Goat?

6) So what do the dwarves do in the city instead of adventuring? Mining? Gem polishing? Making deals with Marc Sury?

In Mineta, Dwarves are renowned for their baking and sweets.

7) Reading on how jedi's get their power (wow was it dumb), how did humans get magic? Is it hereditary or does every one have latent magical talents in them?

Magic was taught to Mankind by a Dragon. Anyone can do it, if taught, although, like anything, some people have more aptitude than others.

8) Will we ever meet Professor Leo's mysterious lady-friend?

You should never pry into Instructor's affairs. :)

What would happen if a faculty member was publically humiliated by a group of (unknown) students? Nothing too malicious, mind. maybe coating their office door with mud and finger in the words "You think this is bad? look inside!" if the person in question was known for being sloppy.

What would happen if a faculty member was publically humiliated by a group of (unknown) students? Nothing too malicious, mind. maybe coating their office door with mud and finger in the words "You think this is bad? look inside!" if the person in question was known for being sloppy.

I don't think anything too drastic, as long as it wasn't very public or very malicious. It's part of the job hazards. Of course, if they caught those students... ;)

The Academagia seems to have a local tradition of pranking. I doubt anyone would get expelled even if they were caught. Detentions all around, but not expulsions. Some of the professors might even 'catch' the perpetrators and then let them off without informing the rest of the faculty if they were subtle enough.

• 1 month later...

From the Not Even a Mouse adventure

1) Why does Aranaz have showers?! I thought it was very costly to build them.

2) How often do random furnitures come alive?

3) Wasn't there a trick to summon your wand back into your hand taught by Professor Briardi? Or did the Aranaz kids not learn that because it was Briardi?

4) How big is a common room in the dorms? Is there only one for each dorm?

Hmmmm....

I can understand the goal of the academy is to teach students how to use magic, not just "give them magic". Because of this focus I can see a large cache of common secondary spells to be taught by students to other students. would there be an opportunity for an omnidisciplinarian like to tutor in such secondary non-academic spells? Or is the tutoring approved only for classwork?

Also, what was the age of the oldest student accepted at the Academagia?

And any news on the Y2 classes yet?

Freespace;

You mean officially sanctioned tutoring? At your level it is only related to Classes. By the end you might be able to lead seminars, though.

I'm not sure about the oldest age, I'll have to ask.

The final Class list was approved, but I'm not sure when they will dole that information out. Some interesting advanced courses, hee hee. :)