Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Absolutely anyone could learn magic? Then I don't understand why there are so many nobles without at least rudimentary magical skill.

Some of the npcs don't seem particularly bright/talented so if it wasn't for any spark of magical talent I don't understand why they seem to achieve at least mediocre skill at magic, I mean even Joanna usually learns an amount of magic useful even by adult standards. That's with just one years schooling no less.

So you could just hand a peasant a wand and give him a month or two of tranining and expect him to be able to call fire?

Dreamweaver;

1. I picked the noble background for my character, how noble should I consider myself, just lower nobility, or every bit as good as the likes of Corradin d'Alfi or Catherine Chard (not sure if those really are the most prestigious or if they just have the most bloated sense of importance)?

Lower or regional nobility.

2. How rare is it to be magically talented, and is it more of an off/on switch or are some much more talented by nature than others?

What Schwarzbart said. :)

3. Does magical ability manifest at some particular age and how important is training in that? I'm wondering if small kids just spontaneously cause incidents from time to time. Or indeed how the player character might have been discovered as capable of casting.

As Schwarzbart wrote. Note that there are some innate magical abilities which are different from spell casting- you'll see some of those in the Backgrounds. Those can manifest themselves as early as infancy.

4. Is magic sufficiently rare that even relatively unskilled wizards (like some of the npcs are bound to wound up) are considered a prize for some noble to hire?

As Schwarzbart wrote. And yes, wizards are most often found in the employ of the wealthy and powerful for reasons of scarcity.

5. Is the Shade familiar an undead human or some sort of creature born that way?

No one knows....;)

6. Is a familiar as fragile as it appears? I mean if you have a spider familiar and someone accidently steps on it, that's just that, it's dead? I saw an event that implied something I fell on (a rabbit I believe) didn't get squashed because it was a familiar.

They are much more robust, usually larger and longer lived than others of its kind. In the case of the Spider specifically, it would be squished *much* easier than a rabbit...but I doubt they'll make this distinction appear in the game or else Spider owners would be very sad indeed. :)

7. I read there are reports of familiars living for a very long time, even dying with the wizard, Does that include surviving as long as those few wizards with truly extraordinary lifespans (like wizards still alive from pre-proscription times)?

In some cases, yes. It depends on the Bond. Lower levels of Bond would probably have the Familiar perish at the natural life span of the Wizard.

8. The tecniques used to extend life to such lengths, are they relatively common knowledge or would they be considered "something better not spoken about"?

They are relatively common knowledge amongst Wizards, it's just very difficult and expensive to cast.

Dreamweaver;

Many nobles do try to learn some magic, but it's a rigorous process, and many do not have the temperament for it. You need to have a good degree of motor skill, memory, intuition, knowledge and talent. Some very bright children can pick up what you might learn in the first year before the age of 10, but access to tutors and support makes this very unusual.

While you could technically hand a Peasant a wand to produce fire, it's more likely that you would hand him a wand, apprentice him for several years, and still not have any good results. A similar situation might be trying to teach college level geometry to someone never exposed to math before. :)

Conveniently, I'm pretty sure the Academagia also teaches college level Geometry (to 5th years probably) which would show how damn hard it is to learn some forms of magic.

My character might take one or two math classes if they're prerequisites to some really cool brands of magic, but I'm more interested in spellcasting than filling horoscopes. That said I understand the correlation between them or I'd never take any math classes at all. Math sucks! ;)

While on the subject, what is generally considered the curve of difficulty on learning the pillars? Which ones are 'tougher' to learn?

Hmm I always thought Joanna was pretty stupid (1 insight, 1 intelligence), but I suppose she just appears that way by comparison to the student average then. Most players must be genius level then.

An attribute point on a familiar, does it mean less than on a human? It's pretty possible to get 3-4 intelligence on a familiar, would that make it human-level?

I take it this also means all humans have an amount of luck/pure luck? Is that usually held by people with a natural inclination for magic, or anyone? I imagine a non-magician with great luck would find success nearly anywhere, and if everything happens just right might be quite the threat to just about anyone.

For that matter, how common is it to have a great amount of luck? My current character started with 5 and is accruing more as she goes along, she seems able to consistingly beat the odds.

On the matter of luck is it magical in nature or more like a law of nature (though I suppose magic is as well in this world)?

I find myself making comparisons to Matrim from the Wheel of Time or Teela Brown from the Ringworld books. If everyone has luck then the concept of "random" must be very fluid indeed, not to mention a scientist trying to prove his theories on chance, he might get very different results than one of his collegues.

Well, so is patience if you believe some folks but I don't see that as an attribute.;)

By the way, legate. Its my birthday (for real) today. If I may be so bold, I suggest presenting Y2's class list as a present. :D

Happy Birthday!

I can't give you the list, but I can tell you there is a seminar class on the nature of music in enchantment. ;)

As for Luck, it is indeed magically malleable, although I cannot comment on what the Attribute specifically measures...

I think Familiar Attributes are indeed on a different scale from humans, though. I'm not sure what the correlation is, though.

but I can tell you there is a seminar class on the nature of music in enchantment

Hmmm. That's a... very specific and narrow field, with probably little in the way of usefulness outside that concept. I confess I was hoping for something with explosions and lightning but I suppose that's a bit too much to expect for Y2... :)

Is that a good example of how magic branches off into various fields? And in order to be considered a master enchanter (in this case) you'd need to know all these (relatively useless, to me anyway) branches?

If so I fear Enchantment just became my least favorite subject. Hopefully Orthography will (partially) offset my coming weakness in that area.

well, I know you said seminar. But surely It is an example of something a master of Enchantment would need to know, and thus you would need to spend extra time past your classes on that and similar seminars if you wanted to be a master. I can imagine regular classes being more broad in order to be more practical for a broader percentage of the student population...

So, what I'm asking, I guess, is "Will we need to take a lot of these seminars to be masters in a given pillar"?

Free;

Well, that depends on what you want for your character. If you want to know everything about Enchantment, then you certainly would want to be in this seminar. However, this is not part of the core concepts of Enchantment, so if you want to master those, then you don't need it.

Perhaps a better way to say it is that seminars do not have follow on classes in future years, and no other classes are dependent on them either. ;)

However, this is not part of the core concepts of Enchantment, so if you want to master those, then you don't need it

YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday Freespace! Are your Aranaz buddies giving you gifts yet?

Legate!

Can we choose birthdays yet? Or events / an adventure for our birthday?

And also a welcome to the new Aranaz student Dreamweaver. But now it feels like there are too many Aranaz lovers on this forum. :mellow:

I got a little bit of discretionary fun money. Kinda makes me wish I could preorder Y2 right now while I can....

Legate, make this happen! Before I spend it on something boring like car repair!

And its NOT my fault that everyone wants to go to the best, which is obviously Aranaz!