Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

All;

Phemes 4 says the order how I put the pheme together for my spell don't matter.

Phemes 7 in opposite says the phemes are like the letter that forms the words for spells.

Both are actually true, dependent on the Palette. It's still pretty confusing to read, though- especially in that order. :)

Beside have anyone ever tried to make the finger of a child to perform as wand when it is about to learn its first words to see if humans thought already as toddler magic can't become a match for dragons?

If child really can learn magic as easy as the mother language you probably have the child surpassing even the mightiest mages when it reach its teen years.

It hasn't been done like that, although children are apprenticed at a fairly early age.

1. What year is Olivier Marchant in, in Y2? Will he have actually managed to graduate at the end of Y1? (doubtful)

I'm not sure the year, but he will probably make it. :)

2. Which of our year students would be considered the most talented in each pillar? I'd like to compare my growth in these areas to these students.

Well, I think that depends on *your* game! :)

3. Can you at least reveal the Y1 classes that can be taken in Y2 even if the new classes must still remain a secret?

A reasonable question. I think the Y1 Pillar Classes can be taken again. The other, non-Pillar Classes are not available, or are available in different forms.

4. Which student if any would be a good shipwright/engineer?

Depends on your game. :)

5. I realize that Volnauge is valuable regardless, but if one found a wild tree around the Academagia, how effective would it be given the relatively low elevation compared to the cultivated trees? And how tall do they grow?

They can grow up to 200' in height and volnauge harvested at the level of the Academagia would probably be good keels for most merchants who would not go overland.

There are no drop outs in Y1 (besides the mechanical reasons!) because it's considered to be a transition year. Beginning in Y2, however, Students can fail.

Expulsion happens when a Student is very undisciplined (has many Hall Sessions) or fails several (more than 1-2) Classes. Surprisingly, it was still too common in Y1. ;)

2. Which of our year students would be considered the most talented in each pillar? I'd like to compare my growth in these areas to these students.

Well, I think that depends on *your* game! :)

Hmm I fear that Angelik will be among the best for all the core Magic skills available in her year. (except for glamour she have all at 11 or better and I still plan to get her to history 10!)

Ooo Legate! Can we get/make a mod that makes everyone pass? Not necessarily an official one, but can it be done? Or do students have to fail, for story purposes or to keep the proper number? It's just that I would really hate for friends or even rivals to fail since they provide so much of the environmental atmosphere.

Will it be possible (in later years if not in Y2) to change NPC motivations/goals based on, say, adventure complete? (for example, if you complete an adventure chain in which you redeem Joana through the Power of Friendship, could that actually move bullying lower down or off of her list of preferred actions?)

No, no! She must have posted while I was writing. :)

Will students be given new portraits in year 2 (or future years)?

Yep!

Also will there be many new professors we haven't met yet?

I'd say yes. :)

Will any of the new year 1 students be known to us, or are they too far beneath our notice?

We would dearly love to populate all the classes, but it's not possible for Y2. Hopefully in the future!

Free,

Well, you could just lower the relationship with him drastically, but he might take a couple of your clique with him, so make sure your relationship with them is better than his with the others. Still, easier to restart.

What did IE and D&D games in general taught us? Save often and early and in different slots. I have at least 30 saves for each game. It's horrible. I think I'm addicted to saving.

Legate, I was hoping that you guys wouldn't have to do the work, but such an option would be welcome. Maybe just be the only one who can decide if you can make a character fail...? Kind of like Skyrim's final blows on companions. I would assume that at least some would want Phillipe out. I wouldn't know how easy that would be to make, since I have no idea of the engine, but I hope it's easy.

Do we have some sort of graduation party or something at the end of the each year?

Too late. Restarted. I don't like saving except because of a temporary stop.

Bah, I only save when necessary.

I hope year 5 continues into the following summer, if only so we could experience a great graduation party after the end of the year and do some world building

How do you boot someone from your clique? Cyrus Dawes crashed my party somehow and I don't want him fudging up my plans.

If you raise manipulation to 10 you'll get an awesome little spell called Schism that temporarily lowers relations between two students of your choice (yourself can be one of them) to -4 for a period of three days. It will fracture any clique typically expelling the one you wanted and unless Cyrus had good relations with others in your clique he'd probably leave on his own.

I've used that spell quite a bit, when students I want in my clique is part of another clique this will split them out nice and quick and it requires less actions than other ways to bring relations down. When it comes to your own relations the temporary nature of this spell even allows you to remain friends afterwards.

You know, I would have thought a spell like this would be mastery of sorts. It's just a glamour spell though, so perfectly legal... :)

Maybe it would be mastery if it had been more permanent?

Or use phemes that force them to, rather than trick them...

Well when you think about it it's a pretty nasty "trick", while it doesn't force them to take a specific action it alters their mental state to make them take an action they think is their own, which they might come to regret later. I suspect skillfully applied mastery will feel much the same (if the victim is unaware of the manipulation).

I imagine it's the kind of spell that while not strictly speaking is illegal still might get you punished by the professors. It's not a terribly ethical thing to do...

The Amacita pheme it uses is taught through mastery but also from several other skills. "Distilled friendship"...

The Amacita pheme it uses is taught through mastery but also from several other skills. "Distilled friendship"...

I imagine the pheme smells really good, too. ;)

Legate, Given that the Academagia game website itself half-treats the readers as if they were in-setting themselves, I have to ask about the note to parents from Orso Orsi. Is that something that is genuine lore, or meta-lore? Where precisely would parents read such a thing? Would it come with the acceptance letter?

"There is a limit to what the students will be guided to learn. The dangerous arts of Gates and Mastery have been expressly forbidden on this campus and I have personally gone to great lengths to ensure that these suppressed arts remain so. Prevention, though, does begin best at home. So please take the time to educate your future wizards of the nature of these dangerous magical pasttimes."

So... Parents as a whole would know the natures of the dangerous arts of Gates and Mastery? With their history suppressed as it is, I kinda doubt that telling your kids that you could die if you get caught is sufficient to discourage its use as much as it would encourage efforts to not get caught,

Also, that note doesn't sound like it was written by him. He merely had someone else write up something nice and fancy and then signed it, didn't he? :P

Everyone knows the word is spelled 'pastimes'. I just noticed it now though. ;)

1. If a student was to get their hands on enough Volnauge to make a keel for a small airship, (~25') where could one safely keep it on school grounds and work on building it in one's spare time? Which professor's permission would be needed.

2. I suppose Revision would be used to enchant the hull of said airship to fly higher than the Volnauge allowed, but if one wanted to arrange the enchantment in such a fashion as to allow variable heights without needing ballast, would that be Astrology?