Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. If a student was to get their hands on enough Volnauge to make a keel for a small airship, (~25') where could one safely keep it on school grounds and work on building it in one's spare time? Which professor's permission would be needed.

2. I suppose Revision would be used to enchant the hull of said airship to fly higher than the Volnauge allowed, but if one wanted to arrange the enchantment in such a fashion as to allow variable heights without needing ballast, would that be Astrology?

Oh the prank possibilities, forget the professors, your problem will be your fellow students

I'm wondering if the Volnauge doesn't more give a "neutral buoyancy point" with the ship then using ballast, hot air/propellers/sails/magic to choose its preferred altitude. The exact power and propulsion method would then suggest the necessary magic - I'd expect incantation for a mainly wind-driven ship for example. If you alter height by changing mass then revision would be the likely suspect (being a science geek I'd want the spell to convert air into ice or some such to avoid the e=mc squared issues).

1. If a professor was discovered to have been a master of proscribed arts, what would that mean for the students of that professor?

I know that the school teaches Negation tools to the students in order to recognize if Gates or Mastery are used. Can you explain that better? I mean, since they're obviously not going to teach you to recognize phemes, the best I can guess is the magical trace of the spell. how does said trace vary between the pillars?

Exactly how many pims would be needed to crush a Dragon?

Why is Malacresta not in Avilla? The state of the Avilla's boy's dorm? :P

Given that you can take cross college classes, as Malacresta is, if you continue to take all of another college's core classes, would you be roughly as capable in the college's specialization?

Are there familiars that are illegal to have? I mean, if a kid was allowed to graduate with a genuine Dragon familiar once.....

Is there bologna in setting...?

What level of knowledge in other pillars would a professor like Briardi have outside their specialization?

How many spells can preloaded wands hold? And what makes them different from a one-time use spell?

What is the known world speed record in land or air?

Free;

1. If a professor was discovered to have been a master of proscribed arts, what would that mean for the students of that professor?

Likely, an investigation.

1. I know that the school teaches Negation tools to the students in order to recognize if Gates or Mastery are used. Can you explain that better? I mean, since they're obviously not going to teach you to recognize phemes, the best I can guess is the magical trace of the spell. how does said trace vary between the pillars?

The closest analogy is a 'reaction', which signifies the presence of those Pillars.

1. Exactly how many pims would be needed to crush a Dragon?

All the pims. They have phenomenal chest muscles.

1. Why is Malacresta not in Avilla? The state of the Avilla's boy's dorm? :P

Malacresta read the stars and clearly decided to avoid Avila. ;)

1. Given that you can take cross college classes, as Malacresta is, if you continue to take all of another college's core classes, would you be roughly as capable in the college's specialization?

Roughly, yes.

1. Are there familiars that are illegal to have? I mean, if a kid was allowed to graduate with a genuine Dragon familiar once.....

Were they? ;)

But no, no Familiar is intrinsically illegal. Unless it's some Gates summoned monstrosity, maybe, or a real Dragon. :)

1. Is there bologna in setting...?

Clarify.

1. What level of knowledge in other pillars would a professor like Briardi have outside their specialization?

You'd have to ask her.

1. How many spells can preloaded wands hold? And what makes them different from a one-time use spell?

It depends on the wand and the maker. They are really just a one time use Spell placed into an object. They offer the same utility that the object does, so if the Wand has any bonuses, the Spell will gain those too, for the most part.

1. What is the known world speed record in land or air?

A Dragon probably holds the air record, but land? It must be a Breuilan mare.

Were they? ;)

Yes.

When Castion attended Academagia, he was granted a special exception, and remains to this day, the only student to ever have a “dragon familiar.”

Fun Fact: Drake was also the only dragon ever allowed to attend an Academagia graduating ceremony. By that time, he took up half the auditorium."

I'm asking that if a dragon is an accceptable familiar, are there any that are not?

So, technically, if I got my hands on an animal that could only have been created with, or summoned by Gates magic, (or both) It would be OK as long as I wasn't the person who did the magic? ;)

Edit, bologna, balonee. The utterly perfect lunch meat.

Astrology does seem to be different from the other pillars. While one can learn the theory, there are no skills for Astrology methods, phemes or spells, as there are in the others. (even the proscribed ones) Why is this? I should think that even if you might need to learn some background on it before you can get reliable results using it, you ought to have the other subskills. especially since you do learn some phemes and spells from this school.

Tying into this issue. My character is less interested in stargazing and predicting stuff through that, and more interested in applying the phemes, spells, and theories of this pillar to other pillars as well. Hopefully you see where I'm going, here.

I kind of understand the mechanical perspective of not wanting too many subskills, but I would like to know how this is handled.

In the "Mineta in need" adventure, Gates magic is used in a very organized way. I give props to how that was written. I have a few questions regarding this, related to the pot summoning question I've previously asked.

Now, I think it's plainly obvious that the students who enchanted the sandbags to act as a beacon for the Gates spell were not exposed to Gates at all.

This fact strongly implies that if one wanted to summon a very specific pot from the kitchen, and prepare the pot for a potential summoning, one would not need Gates magic to do the preparing. Thus, technically, even if the magic was tested for a reaction to Gates, it would not show unless the pot was actually summoned, right?

So, then I could do a simple enchantment for a gates spell to find the pot, summon the pot, erase the trace of Gates magic on it, sabotage the pot with laxatives, and then banish the pot back to the kitchen using negation, (even if maybe not the cupboard it was stored in) and so long as nobody saw any of that none would be the wiser?

Now back to the adventure itself, can you explain at what if part of that spell the Chaos factor might appear at? It seems to me that very great pains were taken to avoid any... accidents. So my guess is that it would have only appeared on the creation of that ink that was applied to the students, which clearly was prepared well in advance of getting the students involved.

Also, where'd they get the Gates mage to do the work? I assume that he was a cloistered mage and "persuaded" to help the cause?

Mineta in need. AKA the job posting.

I'm almost certain that real plants are actually the more common varieties in the setting. It's just that, well, we happen to be in the one place that defies the rule.

Boy, where is everyone? Sloooooow coupla days...

1. Now I don't intend to get any secrets from you, Legate ;) but within students memory has there ever been any outright tests for illegal magic?

2. How often do students go missing from the Academagia?

3. If I wrote to my parents about the school using "Gates magic" what level of stink would that drum up?

4. Can you explain what the spritely bead did? I though magic was a skill..?

5. Did Avila's tower 8 have a different name before the boys moved in? Or was it built for them?

Free;

1. Now I don't intend to get any secrets from you, Legate ;) but within students memory has there ever been any outright tests for illegal magic?

Of course you don't. :)

No, there haven't been any such tests. Such magics were all stamped out long ago.

2. How often do students go missing from the Academagia?

Probably more often than anyone would like to admit. But they usually always come back. Usually.

3. If I wrote to my parents about the school using "Gates magic" what level of stink would that drum up?

Who knows? :)

4. Can you explain what the spritely bead did? I though magic was a skill..?

It is a Skill. As to what it did...[redacted].

5. Did Avila's tower 8 have a different name before the boys moved in? Or was it built for them?

I believe it had a different name.