Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1) Do Year 2 usual have more Students then Year 1? I wonder because if every year 1 student get a Mentor then you need most likely (nearly) all year 2 Students for this.

2) So there are laws about who is allowed to where what kind of clothing and nearly every guild have their own specific uniform?

Maybe some mentors have several students.

I've questions on the Sphinx:

1) Are there or have there ever been any other sphinxes? Is the imperial one unique or just rare?

2) I assume it's age is unknown, but how many years is it known to have lived? Basically when it arrived at the palace I suppose.

3) Has it been known to have been part of any plots during it's stay there, is it malicious?

4) I'm getting the impression it is a sort of semi-divine creature, is this entirely wrong?

Schwarzbart;

1) Do Year 2 usual have more Students then Year 1? I wonder because if every year 1 student get a Mentor then you need most likely (nearly) all year 2 Students for this.

No; but most Mentors have more than one Y1 Student they look after.

2) So there are laws about who is allowed to where what kind of clothing and nearly every guild have their own specific uniform?

Yes, especially relating to noble dress.

Dreamweaver;

I've questions on the Sphinx:

1) Are there or have there ever been any other sphinxes? Is the imperial one unique or just rare?

There are several others.

2) I assume it's age is unknown, but how many years is it known to have lived? Basically when it arrived at the palace I suppose.

It's at least a thousand years old.

3) Has it been known to have been part of any plots during it's stay there, is it malicious?

No, it hasn't been discovered to be a part of a plot during it's residence.

4) I'm getting the impression it is a sort of semi-divine creature, is this entirely wrong?

It's not semi-divine, but it certainly is quite special.

I have questions! *waves hand around*

Mostly its about the location or means of obtaining items. I've gotten some lovely things from the mysterious package, but hope some of them come from quests.

Wand of Lightning - Its a favor item from a professor, and I just wanted confirmation that it gives the recipe + items to make it.

Lightning's Secret Sword- I want to think this is found in a random event?

Dragon Bone Negation Wand - I know where to get the normal Dragon Bone Wand, I'm thinking the Negation version isn't obtainable. :s

Gristle Wand- I'm thinking this is a mysterious package only item?

Gineza's Journal and Watch- I've only found these from the package. Can they be found in normal gameplay?

Ring of Grand Duchess Merilen - ?? Its not very useful, but my character would want it all the same.

:D hopefully someone knows where to find these?

The Dragon Bone negation wand is from the "crafting the negation wand" adventure. You have a choice of using a holly wand as the base which gets you the pure holly negation wand, or using a dragon bone wand which gets you the Dragon Bone Negation Wand. You can get base a dragon bone wand through this adventure although they can be found elsewhere too.

Problem is, the Dragon-Bone version of the negation wand is illegal while the holly one isn't. That means you can't use it in Y1 unless you're ok with reloading the game or losing it every time you get detention.

The Negation Wand adventure can be unlocked via a botany class adventure ("To the fields" I think) or through "The Board Game" which has no class prereqs The board game requires playfulness and worldliness at some level (3 I think). It also vanishes if you leave it too late - I think it has to be done before sometime in Veranix. To unlock the negation wand, get the Schwarzbart weed - I think this has to be in your inventory. The first stage of the negation wand adventure is called something like "a curious weed".

Edit: One legendary item I had from a random legendary pick once is the Fish King's Journal. That's available from the Fish familiar bond adventure. It's possible that some other very rare items might be from exotic familiar adventures which might explain why they don't show up much.

You can also get another random legendary item by choosing a particular path through the "Academagia Under Attack" main questline, although I'm not sure if that's the powergamer's choice of main quest.

An Outing... said that the Guard Captain and the Council don't always see eye to eye, with the result being that the guards sometimes choose to ignore some legal documentation when someone has a license to practice Mastery.

Question: Does the Guard Captain himself have a license to practice Mastery, if only for purely self-defensive purposes? If not, how does he defend himself?

Makes sense. I figured he'd have something prepared in case he himself, say, ran into a Sageni. Gods forbid the guard captain would get completely floored by an animal, after all, it just didn't make sense for him to hold a license if he's against it so much.

As for what exactly his protection is, I'm going to take a guess an say it's neither an enchanted item (which would leave the captain defenceless were he to, you know, take a bath) or an enchanted tattoo like the Master's Mark is (which would be far too obvious). I'm going to assume he's had his mind directly protected against Mastery, somehow, through means that are completely beyond a first year PC (and, by extension, me).

1. In the preban era, was leaning Mastery and Gates together a common choice of study?

2. Will ideals be a second year focus or will that be more for later years?

3. Will Y2 introduce new grading systems?

4. If a student of the Academagia was seen using Gates magic, but the face of the perpetrator wasn't seen, how would that be resolved?

5. If Gates and/or Mastery were unbanned, what would the school's policy be on teaching them to existing students? (based on previous unbans) Also, would Orsi go insane? :)

6. Do mages exist that know all the magic pillars up to the Y2 material?

@freespace

1) Because they where different College it was no more common then learn today Incantation and Glamour together.

2 - 3) Don't know

4) Depending if it was reported or not but usually a Negation Mage would be send to investigate this.

5) Very Speculative but I suspect that within 1 or 2 centuries both would be thought again at Academagica.

6) I think so

My turn!

1) Nobles are apparently still fond of arranged marriage in the game. How will it impact the PC ? Will it be expected of him/her to be betrothed by his family?

2) Are there still prejudice against commoner? (except if they are very rich :rolleyes: )

3) About the profession nobles can take. In real life, it was indecent for a noble to work in commerce, craft (and later industry) and other "lesser" occupation. Wich pretty much limited them to "noble" occupation: War/ the Church/ land holder/ Law/ Politics. (i think thats it). So is it the same for Elumnian? (Adding Magic obviously).

4) Does it impact noble mages ? For exemple an artificing noble mage might be despised while a mage who focus on dueling or "convincing" magic fitting his blood? So in this aspect, Hedi or Godina might be seen as "proper" college for a noble education while Vernin might be seen as a "commoner college" ?

5) Is there a "noble" pillar? not in the normal sense altough Orthography is apparently seen that way, is that right?

More like what pillar is seen as the more "virtuous"?(in opposition of Gates/Mastery). The one known to have the most heroes (or less villain :rolleyes: ) and most famous for battles against evil and so on?

Most of the really rich/prestigious students are from Vernin. At least the ones with a high opinion of themselves. So I definitely don't think they'd be the "commoner-college" not sure there is such a one as with few exceptions most of the students are drawn from the elite.

there is a difference between rich and noble and yes i know there are students of noble birth in Vernin. (Catherine Chard and Corradin comes to my mind).

In France, during the Restauration period (After the french revolution-First Empire Era). Many nobles boycotted the schools founded in the revolution period despite them being the best available (and still are).

Now for Vernin. The focus of the college is on crafting wich was very poorly regarded by nobility. Not that noble despised artisans quite the opposite but if a noble wanted to become one, He will be laughed at by all the nobility class and regarded as a "pariah" by them and by extension all the high class. Now maybe it is counter balanced by the prestige of Vernin still i think noble parent not be eager to send their children in this college in particular.

Now the only real life exemple i could give is noble women practising "tricot" (that's how you said it in english"?) but it was only a hobby akin of hunting for men not something you would do for a living.

But i know that for some reason, in Fantasy: the arts of craft is often highly regarded and many legendary crafters are noble themselves if not king/emperor etc. (probably because of magic)

Tough the question was only to know if there is still some prejudice against such practice for nobility because we already know that many noble make their scolarship in Vernin (who was a king-artificer afterall).

The difference comes from Magical artifice. It doesn't have quite the same connotations as a regular craft if magic is involved. Also I expect Academia would also be accepted on that same level and at least one Chard was regent of Vernin. (Of course that one seemed less stuck up than Catherine so who knows) Legate, was that Cathy's parent?

Free;

1. In the preban era, was leaning Mastery and Gates together a common choice of study?

What Schwarzbart said.

2. Will ideals be a second year focus or will that be more for later years?

I think you'll see them pop up in each Year.

3. Will Y2 introduce new grading systems?

Not that I am aware of.

4. If a student of the Academagia was seen using Gates magic, but the face of the perpetrator wasn't seen, how would that be resolved?

There would be an investigation, almost certainly.

5. If Gates and/or Mastery were unbanned, what would the school's policy be on teaching them to existing students? (based on previous unbans) Also, would Orsi go insane? :)

Based on previous unbans, the subject material would slowly be introduced over a number of years.

6. Do mages exist that know all the magic pillars up to the Y2 material?

Definitely. Probably some of your Students!

isadorb;

1) Nobles are apparently still fond of arranged marriage in the game. How will it impact the PC ? Will it be expected of him/her to be betrothed by his family?

You'll find out. :)

2) Are there still prejudice against commoner? (except if they are very rich :rolleyes: )

Yes.

3) About the profession nobles can take. In real life, it was indecent for a noble to work in commerce, craft (and later industry) and other "lesser" occupation. Wich pretty much limited them to "noble" occupation: War/ the Church/ land holder/ Law/ Politics. (i think thats it). So is it the same for Elumnian? (Adding Magic obviously).

It is the same, with magic being the differentiator, as Free notes.

4) Does it impact noble mages ? For exemple an artificing noble mage might be despised while a mage who focus on dueling or "convincing" magic fitting his blood? So in this aspect, Hedi or Godina might be seen as "proper" college for a noble education while Vernin might be seen as a "commoner college" ?

No, in fact Vernin attracts most of the nobility- the reasons are complex, but have, as in the real world, to do with the control of land.

5) Is there a "noble" pillar? not in the normal sense altough Orthography is apparently seen that way, is that right?

More like what pillar is seen as the more "virtuous"?(in opposition of Gates/Mastery). The one known to have the most heroes (or less villain :rolleyes: ) and most famous for battles against evil and so on?

None more so than others.

Year 2 Questions

1) Is it possible to unlock a Extra Class trough a Adventure that have to be finished trough the Summer break?

2) When have a imported year 1 char to decide about the class (s)he take? Right at the start or short before the end of the Summer break?

1. It's not true extra classes. Just tutoring from the regent. You'll be limited to the 6 standard classes. The tutoring will be unlocked by relarionships and good grades, as the Legate has said.

2. Probably when they return to the school in the fall. Would make the most sense.

my question.

3. In Y2 will we have the opportunity to go beyond the Y2 material? I understand that you want limits on characters, but I'd like to see a dedicated second year Negator be more skilled than an average 3rd year. The only way I see this as possible with limits is if more pillar related skills exist.

The question might be misleading but its important for me to know if it is possible to start something that take a full timeslot from Mo-Fr trough the class days via a adventure.

Also if it can work similar to the extra class in teaching a special skill set trough this time.

1. It's not true extra classes. Just tutoring from the regent. You'll be limited to the 6 standard classes. The tutoring will be unlocked by relarionships and good grades, as the Legate has said.

I think he meant extra classes like the one you'll get at Shohanwicht after the adventure. Might be possible but did the legate confirmed that their will be special adventure in summer? or that it'll works differently? can't remember.

3. In Y2 will we have the opportunity to go beyond the Y2 material? I understand that you want limits on characters, but I'd like to see a dedicated second year Negator be more skilled than an average 3rd year. The only way I see this as possible with limits is if more pillar related skills exist.

For me definetly. Altough it depends on what you means by dedicated and average. In year 1 you can be well ahead on the average classmate (with 12-14 skill in the main) which is not far i believe of the levels of an average year 2 student (advanced classes not included of course). and for the dedicated part, well given what the legate said, it's definetly possible to exceed the 20 point limit only be harder plus all the new advanced classes might have to focus more on fewer subskill to still keep a good advance.

Oh, legate. On one of your vacations from the forum again, eh?

4. Since gates and Mastery were repeatedly banned and unbanned throughout history, what was the (main) reason the last ban ended?

5. Do other types of magic outside the pillars (fey for example) also rely on phemes or are they naturally unlearnable?

6. Since the metric system has recently been created, there must have been need for some standardization. As our real life 'imperial' units did not become standardized until recently, (it took ww2 to get everyone to agree on an inch) and in some cases are still not standardized (though likely would have if not for metrification) I am curious how standardized Elumia's measurement system is since they all mostly have common history.