Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Oh, legate, please tell us non-[redacted] information on Y2!

Like:

1. Is the music selection finalized yet!?

2. Perhaps you can give an example of how NPCs will choose their classes? I imagine it's mostly set in stone, (probably why college-mandated classes were established after all) but if a student fails to be eligible for a class... how will that be resolved?

3. For those of us who haven't dug into Y1's abandoned Rimbal minigame, can you give the basics of numbers of kids to a team, and perhaps scoring? Are the end goals worth the same as the center post, etc. etc.

4. Can you tell us how many professors Y2 will have?

5. Oh, and how/when will Y2 end? I mean Y2 retcons 28Kailri of Y1. Do you plan to do the same thing with Y2-Y3? or will Y3 likely not retcon Y2's end?

2) They have their college based class and then a favourite list in what class they want to go in and the first class of their favourite list where they also fill the requirement are the one they take. (At last that what I remember was said here already how this will handled)

6. How much damage does a PC need to suffer in an adventure to die from injuries/bleeding out? Like, is it any time an adventure reduces you below 0 Vitality you die, do you have to at least go below -5 or -10, maybe below your max vitality×-1, do you have to take at least a certain amount of damage and/or be reduced to a certain level, what? I'm asking because I intend for a few adventure steps to be...painful, if failed, but I wanted to make sure that it doesn't deal enough damage that a PC can die, mostly because it'd make no sense story-wise. Unless Durand botched a spellcasting check, but I don't think mister Revision/Negation class would.

Here you go:

1. Is the music selection finalized yet!?

No, but close.

2. Perhaps you can give an example of how NPCs will choose their classes? I imagine it's mostly set in stone, (probably why college-mandated classes were established after all) but if a student fails to be eligible for a class... how will that be resolved?

As Schwarzbart notes, it's done by a list of favorites.

3. For those of us who haven't dug into Y1's abandoned Rimbal minigame, can you give the basics of numbers of kids to a team, and perhaps scoring? Are the end goals worth the same as the center post, etc. etc.

That is actually pretty complicated, but I think you can search for the full rules in a much earlier post.

4. Can you tell us how many professors Y2 will have?

Hmmm. Not at this time...;)

5. Oh, and how/when will Y2 end? I mean Y2 retcons 28Kailri of Y1. Do you plan to do the same thing with Y2-Y3? or will Y3 likely not retcon Y2's end?

I don't think Y2 will retcon the ending, but it also ends on 28 Kaliri.

6. How much damage does a PC need to suffer in an adventure to die from injuries/bleeding out? Like, is it any time an adventure reduces you below 0 Vitality you die, do you have to at least go below -5 or -10, maybe below your max vitality×-1, do you have to take at least a certain amount of damage and/or be reduced to a certain level, what? I'm asking because I intend for a few adventure steps to be...painful, if failed, but I wanted to make sure that it doesn't deal enough damage that a PC can die, mostly because it'd make no sense story-wise. Unless Durand botched a spellcasting check, but I don't think mister Revision/Negation class would.

Death isn't Vitality based in Y2, it's based entirely on the results and choices of Adventures, not to worry.

Hmmm!

I distinctly remember posting a larger set of the rules. Or...at least I thought I did. :)

Well, I will have to dig them up!

*Checks to find topic contains 4.7K+ posts*

Good luck with that.

EDIT: Best I could find is this.

Edited by Metis

New post to mark it as new: I've been reading through this topic, and found quite a few interesting old quotes. No, I didn't record/mark them all, because that would be smart I forgot okay please forgive me... but there's one I do wish to...ask about (as little actual information as I am likely to get from asking):

3) Why is Rui such a JERK?! Will we get an interesting backstory in later years?

Hmm, you mean more information about him? [Redacted!]

I don't expect to get an answer to this question...but I simply have to ask: Does that [redacted] have anything to do with one Raul da Casga? I kinda don't buy the idea that Rui just happens to have a historian relative lazying about somewhere who finds and publishes the history of Oneto Canasfari. The guy was a researcher of Mastery, a now semi-legal discipline of Mastery, sure, but Mastery nonetheless. I don't think the average joe would decide to research him, could, even, without ulterior motives/methods and I don't trust Rui to not play a part in Raul's plans (now whether Rui does so willingly is another question).

Mind that Rui is, well, "part" of my planned Y2 continuation of An Outing..., playing a role of varying (non-)importance depending on player choices, but in the off chance that, I don't know, the Legate is too drunk to find his stash of [Redacted] or something, I'd like an "official" answer. To clarify I'd also like an "official" answer even if the Legate isn't too drunk to find his stash of [Redacted], it's just what I expect are the conditions required.

EDIT: Broken quotes are broken...

Edited by Metis

1. If you were Mastered into not saying anything about some evil wizard's plans, could you still manage to alert somebody by waving your arms around wildly until somebody figured it out? Is magic full of loopholes like that?

2. What are the typical jobs that are available to orthographers? (as opposed to a self-employed position) I can imagine it might be somewhat popular in a publishing house, but....

3. Say I went on an adventure with a professor and found a Gates artifact. It's pretty safe and I know it is because I hold [redacted] knowledge. Professor so and so is panicking because Gates is..... ooooo..... illegal. Now I realize that it's subjective, but is it possible to explain the safety of the item in question through more general magical knowledge? (Hey, I know enchant! the way this item is enchanted means it's inactive!)

4. I know they vary quite a bit, but how large is the average dragon? School bus size?

5. Are the 'red carriages' mentioned in one of the lores/abilities related to the red ships from the Aultrine adventure?

6. In the cold forge adventure, The time freeze spell over it is said to prevent anyone present at it's casting from learning the way to escape it. Can you explain this?

7. Do red squirrels exist in Elumia?

8. Can magical properties of an enchanted item be transferred to a new item? And if so would that violate the ban if it was a Gates item even if you used no Gates yourself?

9. Do Dragons Dream of Disasters and Dilemmas of Dire Destruction Diurnally or During Days of Dining and Devouring?

8. Can magical properties of an enchanted item be transferred to a new item? And if so would that violate the ban if it was a Gates item even if you used no Gates yourself?

You mean copy the magical properties ? If the legate comes here before count that as a new question. :)

Metis;

All I am authorized to say is that there is a relation. :)

That is more information than I was expecting. And I like it.

It's also scary, because that connects something I came up with in early 2014 to a question asked in mid-late 2012. As in, before I had ever heard of this game. That's either phenomenal planning or tale-spinning skills.

9. Do Dragons Dream of Disasters and Dilemmas of Dire Destruction Diurnally or During Days of Dining and Devouring?

Definitely :rolleyes:

I think that would depend on the items, if it's possible. I mean I can't see how you'd transfer the enchantment of a Bag of Holding unto a sword, even ignoring the whole Gates aspect.

EDIT: Say that, oh, a Venalicium bookshelf is completely smashed to pieces under mysterious circumstances, and a student - in a foolish bid for attention - "confesses" to have done it. Now the student obviously isn't aware, but the few faculty members that need to know have been informed that Professor Briardi has confirmed that the bookshelf was destroyed by way of Gates magic gone wrong, although Professor Badcrumble could not determine who exactly cast the spell because Gates can be wonky like that.

Now I assume in that situation the student would be brought before Professor Briadi, tested for Gates residue, and send to regular old detention when there weren't any traces to find. But what if this student happened to have recently been near a certain PC that, in a really desperate situation, used Gates magic. Would there be residue left on the student, and if so how would Professor Briardi react if she found out?

Edited by Metis

For the questions:

1. If you were Mastered into not saying anything about some evil wizard's plans, could you still manage to alert somebody by waving your arms around wildly until somebody figured it out? Is magic full of loopholes like that?

It would depend on the Spell, but it *could* have such a loophole, yes.

2. What are the typical jobs that are available to orthographers? (as opposed to a self-employed position) I can imagine it might be somewhat popular in a publishing house, but....

They often make magical goods, such as scrolls bearing Spells, or very difficult to counterfeit Notes.

3. Say I went on an adventure with a professor and found a Gates artifact. It's pretty safe and I know it is because I hold [redacted] knowledge. Professor so and so is panicking because Gates is..... ooooo..... illegal. Now I realize that it's subjective, but is it possible to explain the safety of the item in question through more general magical knowledge? (Hey, I know enchant! the way this item is enchanted means it's inactive!)

It is possible to explain the 'safety' of it yes- but it is subjective, as you note.

4. I know they vary quite a bit, but how large is the average dragon? School bus size?

Larger; they generally reach the size of large homes, and that is just their body.

5. Are the 'red carriages' mentioned in one of the lores/abilities related to the red ships from the Aultrine adventure?

I don't think so, no.

6. In the cold forge adventure, The time freeze spell over it is said to prevent anyone present at it's casting from learning the way to escape it. Can you explain this?

Yes, but [Redacted]. :)

7. Do red squirrels exist in Elumia?

Yes, definitely. There aren't any grey squirrels, I don't think.

With difficulty, and depending on the item, yes.

Metis;

For your question, there would be residue, yes, but how Briardi would react...well...you'd have to find out yourself. :)

1. There's a random event where...I think Aveline or Rikildis was cursed by a group of upperclassman into being unable to spill that she discovered their plot to cheat a Calligraphy tests, and she was further forced to (falsely) claim she didn't want you to Negate it even when she badgered you about something she couldn't elaborate on.

For your question, there would be residue, yes, but how Briardi would react...well...you'd have to find out yourself. :)

I'm scheming, though in case it never gets anywhere I'll post this just so my brilliant part of a standalone Y2 adventure is recorded:

I intend for there to be an adventure where a PC can, rather than investigate the truth, try to frame College Durand for a mess that was actually caused by neither Aranaz or Durand. Somewhere along that path the PC will run into the intended patsy, Prudence Cossins specifically, who is chasing the PC for...some reason. The PC can create a situation where Prudence can't see, and then use Gates to leave. Problem is that this leaves Gates traces on Prudence, and Gates happens to be what really destroyed the...thing that was destroyed. So when Professor Briardi finds out she will either keep it quiet, which the PC can't bring to light without implicating him/herself (but s/he might tip off von Rupprecht for massive favor), or she'll actually believe that Prudence is secretly learning Gates. If the latter, either Briardi will not listen to Prudence ("A Durand student blaming someone on Aranaz? Never heard that one before") or she will and call for a surprise inspection of Aranaz. If the former, Prudence gets removed from the game (I'd be going for a public execution that the PC gets to see, but I don't think the team is quite that...evil). If the latter the PC has to escape notice, which might damn Prudence, or be removed from the game him/herself.

Incidentally, simply not using Gates means that no one gets any greater punishment than detention, so the adventure isn't a trap. Just the option is a trap.

Also, that adventure can be played from Durand's side, and a Durand student can also try to frame Aranaz for the crime rather than investigate. That scenario is mostly the same, just harder because scheming against Aranaz isn't as easy as scheming with Aranaz, but it's possible. The real difference is that the Aranaz patsy is Aveline, and that the PC can, with great pain, find evidence that Aveline is helping the Sphinx Syndicate "investigate" the incident, and that she's taking orders from an Aranaz senior named Alfred. Who, an Aranaz PC will know, is taking orders straight from von Rupprecht. If the PC does the "escape via Gates" thing and later hands Briardi the evidence that Aveline is under Alfred's orders (Durand students, off screen, find out about Alfred's connection with von Rupprecht and bring that matter to Briardi's attention while she's questioning Aveline about the Gates residue)...yeah. Fan, meet turbine engine.

I imagine it was abandoned either because there's only so many ways you can post [redacted] before it gets old, or because polity changes made Twitter a sinking ship. I never used it, so I can't say if the latter might apply.

EDIT: So reading through this old topic I thought of something to ask: Apparently if you do well on exams it ticks off other students (oh hi Basia). Is there much difference in the amount of hate you get between scoring a 170 or a 300 on a test where the next best score is 144, and either way, does the amount of hate (also) depend on the grading style the class uses? I imagine few would be upset if I floored the Athletics exam, no matter how blatantly I abused magic.

Edited by Metis

New question in a new post to make sure the above edit actually registers as a new post:

1. So reading through this old topic I thought of something to ask: Apparently if you do well on exams it ticks off other students (oh hi Basia). Is there much difference in the amount of hate you get between scoring a 170 or a 300 on a test where the next best score is 144, and either way, does the amount of hate (also) depend on the grading style the class uses? I imagine few would be upset if I floored the Athletics exam, no matter how blatantly I abused magic.

2. Are there more opportunities in Y2 to abuse a trained, possibly sky-high Cooking skill? Especially if someone, say, neglects to do a certain active Aranaz girl's adventure, leaving the actual Academagia food seriously wanting? The Banquet (Action) as it currently is simply isn't worth it, especially since it's Cooking 11. I personally would expect that a banquet worth 100 Pims would do more than impress a single random student more than Party (Action)'s 20 Pims. And Party gives +2 to a random Clique member, so you still get +5 relation from either one, too.

Schwarzbart;

Oh no, we haven't abandoned it, but you'll notice we really only use it when we are at product launch. The forum is a much more regular place of contact for us.

Metis;

1. So reading through this old topic I thought of something to ask: Apparently if you do well on exams it ticks off other students (oh hi Basia). Is there much difference in the amount of hate you get between scoring a 170 or a 300 on a test where the next best score is 144, and either way, does the amount of hate (also) depend on the grading style the class uses? I imagine few would be upset if I floored the Athletics exam, no matter how blatantly I abused magic.

No, it depends on your grade, not the score.

2. Are there more opportunities in Y2 to abuse a trained, possibly sky-high Cooking skill? Especially if someone, say, neglects to do a certain active Aranaz girl's adventure, leaving the actual Academagia food seriously wanting? The Banquet (Action) as it currently is simply isn't worth it, especially since it's Cooking 11. I personally would expect that a banquet worth 100 Pims would do more than impress a single random student more than Party (Action)'s 20 Pims. And Party gives +2 to a random Clique member, so you still get +5 relation from either one, too.

Haha! Yes, there are in fact. :)

So i had a little discussion with albert on familar in the suggestion thread and I have some question on how familiar works and more specifically on mage/mage or mage/dragon familiar as we know they exist tough rare:

1) What is called the "other" member of the bond with a familiar (like the PC in year 1) Master ? Domitor ? Primus ? Isador ? okay maybe not the last one. :rolleyes:

2) Is it still the case for age/mage or mage/dragon familiar ? someone has the "upper hand" in the relationship ?

3) Is it me or the familiar develop an impressive (unhealthy?) loyalty/dependence to his "master" ? the Gift of the Familiar ability seems to imply this.

4) Can a familiar break the bond with his "master" ? i guess the reverse its possible but i have doubt for this one: see above. If yes. What if the "master" doesn't want to. What happens ?

5) Am I wrong if I say that the familiar or the master are more susceptible to the other one magic ? so it will more easy for the master to use Mastery on his familiar ? or more good magics like healing magic ? or even see through the eyes of the other etc...

6) Familiar and master seems to profit of each other skills, am i right ? a familiar can tape into the knowledge/innate skill of its master even if he has no/limited knowledge himself right ? (like the animal familiar magic for exemple)

7) What decide who will be the familiar and the master? Can someone less powerfull become the master of an another one? if so what are the differences between the two bonded ?

8) Can someone with a sufficient bond receive the feeling/images of the other ones ? Harry Potter style ?

isadorbg;

1) What is called the "other" member of the bond with a familiar (like the PC in year 1) Master ? Domitor ? Primus ? Isador ? okay maybe not the last one. :rolleyes:

Clearly, it must be called the isalberbg. ;)

I don't know what the other half is called, let me ask!

2) Is it still the case for age/mage or mage/dragon familiar ? someone has the "upper hand" in the relationship ?

There are no dragon Familiars, apart from certain semi-mythical Kings...

3) Is it me or the familiar develop an impressive (unhealthy?) loyalty/dependence to his "master" ? the Gift of the Familiar ability seems to imply this.

Probably unhealthy. ;)

4) Can a familiar break the bond with his "master" ? i guess the reverse its possible but i have doubt for this one: see above. If yes. What if the "master" doesn't want to. What happens ?

No, although there are some semi-mythical exceptions.

5) Am I wrong if I say that the familiar or the master are more susceptible to the other one magic ? so it will more easy for the master to use Mastery on his familiar ? or more good magics like healing magic ? or even see through the eyes of the other etc...

You are not wrong.

6) Familiar and master seems to profit of each other skills, am i right ? a familiar can tape into the knowledge/innate skill of its master even if he has no/limited knowledge himself right ? (like the animal familiar magic for exemple)

Correct.

7) What decide who will be the familiar and the master? Can someone less powerfull become the master of an another one? if so what are the differences between the two bonded ?

It's unknown, precisely, but it's almost always the mage. It definitely doesn't have to do with power, though.

8) Can someone with a sufficient bond receive the feeling/images of the other ones ? Harry Potter style ?

Yes.