Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. I'm sure there's been many people that have called for a ban of one school or another, possibly even all of them. Whether a respectable enough institution/group that could have theoretically pushed that ban through ever did, though, I don't know.

2. I imagine that's still something that's practised, not everyone has a mage skilled with Incantation on his/her payroll.

3. Either you'll discover a hybrid skill or you'll die as soon as Y2 starts because you're neck-deep in illegal magic.

3) I personal suspect in year 2 we are put more on test to not use our illegal magic at places where someone could watch.

Note to self, be careful when tabbing through an adventure not to accidentally try to use Mastery on a palace clerk to get him to give directions :rolleyes:

I wonder what the odds of Durand making it thru' to Yr 5 without being executed are?

3) I personal suspect in year 2 we are put more on test to not use our illegal magic at places where someone could watch.

The adventure that lets you extensively consult with the sphinx was written by the team, right?

I was blown away by the fact that there was a Mastery option on somebody right next to the Legate. (And how incredibly stupid that would be to actually do) When the next modtools come out, I am looking up the failure text on that.

Draigh;

It's not impossible, certainly, but it will be very hard to learn both Gates and Mastery in a single year- leaving aside random sources of the knowledge, I am not sure that you even could!

There are enough random ways to get to these, though, that if you spent a year searching I bet you would succeed. There are some interesting things that arise from doing this. smile.gif

Care to hint even a teeny tiny bit on this?

SInce the Legate answered to this:

Currently I would love to know where to even start looking for those forbidden arts (I want to make a character that knows all forms of magic "free's brother? :rolleyes: "). I dont need to know everything, but just a hint of 'look there' would be nice wink.gif

It definelty seems the Legate speaks about year 1. (the question being about the game and the legate answering with the present stance)

tough I have not a clear idea to what he is speaking about (cryptic language when you are non-native is a pain in the butt).

My best bet is that i he is talking either about a non random way to learn the forbidden ones wich leads me to Showanwich (before the background existed seemed like tough to discover it).

Or he is talking about event that can happened if you are too curious about these maybe ? the random event with the professor comes to my mind ?

Still not sure tough.

1) Was there even a time where 2 college where allies and so fight their rivals together?

2) Did this 2 college manage to pool their merit so that they had a better chance in the merit race?

3) Would this something the player can do if working toward the better understanding of his / her and a other college.

Schwarzbart;

1) Was there even a time where 2 college where allies and so fight their rivals together?

Yes. :)

2) Did this 2 college manage to pool their merit so that they had a better chance in the merit race?

No, that's not allowed.

3) Would this something the player can do if working toward the better understanding of his / her and a other college.

Yes, it can be possible...

1. Have any of the current legal pillars have any bans proposed before?

My dear Free,

When i was exploring the true path to the unlawful school, I discoverd a location with lores that might interest you (with the explore action). :)

"Far West Rune" location:

Visitors to the Far West Rune Society will note an increase of 1 point to their Orthography Subskill for the duration of their visit.
Dealing with ethics as they apply to the art of Orthography, the Far West Rune Society prides itself on its ethical working of problems more than its practical considerations of said issues. The Far West Rune Society is, in fact, one of the main reasons that Orthography is still considered a 'safe' branch of magic, as opposed to being forbidden like Gates and Mastery. After all, if a society such as this can be as accepting of this art even with their high ethical considerations, then perhaps it should not be assumed that all Orthographing is dangerous, deadly, or unattractive.

Intriguing, isn't it ? ;)

I shall now officialy ask for the ban of Aranaz. :)

The first step toward Vernin take over of the academagia, the other colleges will get their turn too starting with hedi and their unreliable Glammour-Mastery. :ph34r:

After all, if a society such as this can be as accepting of this art even with their high ethical considerations, then perhaps it should not be assumed that all Orthographing is dangerous, deadly, or unattractive.

Why do I get the feeling something along these lines can also be said about a certain other branch of magic?