Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Actually, That's good question. If there are varying skills in the pillars, I would assume schohanwicht to teach them all, but would all of them be mandatory or could you / would you pick and choose certain skills like you might in the Academagia?

1. If Badcrumble was suddenly approached in person by an irate Avila Alumni over the "boy" issue, how would she handle it?

2. Who would be assigned to lead tours of the academy for parents of prospective students?

3. Looking back at the map of Mineta, I noticed it only shows the upper half. While I suppose a map of the lower half is out of the question any time soon, can you mention some of the more important things that we may see (or have seen I suppose) in the lower half of the city?

4. So, if the Dragons ripped the world apart because they were losing the war of Man's freedom, Does that mean that the Empire of Man was not yet formally established until after the exile? And if this is so, Does that mean that Mineta was founded after that as well? If the Academy was established there prior as a way to help fend off the dragons early in that war, then.... Was the location of the Academy the reason for Mineta becoming the Imperial capitol? (Just trying to get my history straight.)

Free;

1. If Badcrumble was suddenly approached in person by an irate Avila Alumni over the "boy" issue, how would she handle it?

You'll have to find out. :)

2. Who would be assigned to lead tours of the academy for parents of prospective students?

As Metis notes, it could be Instructors, but it also could be alumni or even, in some cases, Students.

3. Looking back at the map of Mineta, I noticed it only shows the upper half. While I suppose a map of the lower half is out of the question any time soon, can you mention some of the more important things that we may see (or have seen I suppose) in the lower half of the city?

There is a Middle City, too- the Lower City is primarily where the artisan industries are located, along with many of the old and important public buildings of Empire, including the fabled hippodrome, coliseum, hospitals and forums. It is also where the main docks of the City are, as well as the largest population of the poor and itinerant.

4. So, if the Dragons ripped the world apart because they were losing the war of Man's freedom, Does that mean that the Empire of Man was not yet formally established until after the exile? And if this is so, Does that mean that Mineta was founded after that as well? If the Academy was established there prior as a way to help fend off the dragons early in that war, then.... Was the location of the Academy the reason for Mineta becoming the Imperial capitol? (Just trying to get my history straight.)

The Empire was definitely founded well after the Exile. Mineta existed, however, and was conquered and made the capital by the New God Octavius. The Academagia was founded here by the New Gods, and the reason depends on what source you're reading...;)

Wait each god had separate capitals? I thought they were more or less united.

Did they squabble amongst each other like the dragons then (less destructively I suppose)?

About the new gods, did they require worship of their followers or did people start that on their own, and did they specifically refer to themselves as gods?

I would love to get as much detail as possible on how inheritance works. And I do mean as much as possible, I'm guessing the laws vary depending on where you live.1) Is primogeniture, (oldest kid, usually male, gets everything) the standard? Or does every (male) child get an equal share of the estate? Or do they go down the list with the oldest getting the lions share and shrinking the further down you are.

2) Then there is the big question of if women inherit on the same grounds as men, or only if there or no male siblings or no male relatives at all.

3) Then, if at all possible the nitty-gritty would be lovely. For example, do the nobility favor the current laws or do they want a different system in place? How easy or difficult is it to disinherit someone, or say that someone outside of your blood relatives or immediate family inherits your estate? Are wars commonly fought over matters of inheriting certain titles, like what happened with the 100 year war?

Whew, I know that's a lot but I have been insanely curios about this for sometime. Especially for our students that chose a noble or well-to-do station. Will these matters effect future story lines or options for what careers they choose?

II;

It is primogeniture, although the specific rules of this do vary where you are. And when we are discussing inheritance outside of the nobility, it can really vary dramatically.

Women do inherit on the same grounds as men.

There is too much nitty gritty, though! Nobility favor the current laws if it favors their interests, although disinheriting someone is quite difficult and generally involves powerful interests to intercede. Wars are not commonly fought over inheritance, but many famous wons have been, including much of the strife in present day Meril.

These matters will affect certain story lines, yes. :)

Thank you it certainly is a lot of detail I wanted. I'm just such a fan of world building I don't know when to stop. I guess the most important question would be is it primogeniture everywhere? And is disinheritance something that is easy or difficult to do? Such as, would you have to break a major law and be banished/imprisoned/etc. or could it simply be the preference of whoever controls the inheritance? That's it, I promise!

I just had some of the best chocolate cake ever, (It was TRIPLE chocolate) and understand why it's illegal in the school. Everybody would be too busy eating it to learn anything!

Can Mastery be used to relive memories like that? That way I could have my cake and eat it, too! Oh the humor! :)

When you say women inherit on the same grounds as men, do you mean that she can fully inherit if there are no eligible male heirs or that if the oldest is a girl she takes the full inheritance even if there are younger boys?

Also I figure with the religion being non-Christian then bastardry might not even be that big of a deal. Then again it might. Are bastards automatically disinherited or do they have same claims as legitimate children?

Dreamweaver;

Women inherit on the same grounds as men do, so they will inherit if they are firstborn, even if there are younger brothers, and so on.

Bastards are a gray area, as in the real world of the time, and can be legitimized...although they are certainly considered dishonored, undesirable and, by customary law, not included in inheritance.

Metis;

It's fairly difficult to inherit outside of the chain, unless someone specifically gives up their rights. As always, if someone powerful enough advances your claim, though...;)

What would happen if a non-blood relative is given legitimate claim of a noble's estate, but the underage claimant's parents oppose it? Can those parents legally deny the claim in their child's (and, to a lesser extent, their) name, can they only hope to use influence to de-legitimize or otherwise undo it, is such an event not legal in the first place? If not the last could those parents disown the child and thereby avoid their family being officially connected to the nobles in question, or will it be a matter of "s/he's a blood relative so you're going in the big, bitterly frustrated to the point of premeditated murder happy family boat whether you want to or not"?

I'm sure you can imagine the exact context.

What happens when the person who dies is rich, and stiffs the entire family by giving away their entire estate to the favorite Venus Flytrap, Due to reasons of either insanity or spite? (possibly both)

I imagine the validity of the will is called into question and potentially invalidated by trial or even entirely ignored if the disinherited heirs are powerful and the desired heir is not. After all, it's hard to enforce your will when you are no longer there to insist on going against tradition.