Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Wasn't brew confirmed as Vernin class for year 2?

No comment on my 2 other things?

Will the Special Scholar's Card we got from Barnes give us access to some libraries trough the summer break?

I also hope geometry might give a better understanding to Gates ... yea I know redacted but one still can hope ^^

Oh my, talk about a flurry of activity!

So Brew is a Y2 class? Legate, The game says that in other schools ink manufacture would probably fall under brew. If a person is not in Aranaz, would taking that Brew class give one or two subskills in that, or would Von Rupprecht have kittens before allowing some other college to teach that?

The world's most famous calligraphers often create their own ink from raw ingredients and careful Incantation, looking for specific effects - or just a stability of line - that they can't trust anyone else to deliver. You're not quite at that level yet, but the study of Ink Compounds can tell you a lot about what you can expect when pen touches paper, and about how to get a look you like on the page. In some schools, this would be considered a Brew subskill, but the Academagia... well, it takes its Calligraphy curriculum very seriously.

I suspect that at least in the Academagia ink manufacture is treated as a Calligraphy/Orthography related skillset, whereas actual Brew classes focus on alchemy (the "mix ingredients and see what it does" side, not the "turn lead into gold and discover the meaning of the word 'hyperinflation'" side).

Yes, but surely some basic ink manufacture would be a part of 'mixing ingredients'. I wouldnt expect them to go into great detail over it but yes I would expect Brew class to teach how to make basic ink unless the politics of the school forbids it.

1. Apart from Monteon, (which is probably better thought of as its own class of incident) has any inhabited island island ever fallen from the sky? Naturally or otherwise?

2. Are there forms of magic that the Academy doesn't teach because it's too dangerous? (dangerous but legal. Gates or Mastery not applicable)

3. Can you explain the parent skill Enspell? I kind of understand it's sub skills and how they individually might improve spellcasting overall, but not really how an Enspell roll can return the durand Statue back to it's lifeless position in the Aranaz Sphinx Syndicate adventure.

4. Generally speaking, do mages tend to be officers or common soldiers? Given how magic is in setting *usually* acquired by those who are well to do, I am curious if being a mage elevates you socially or if it only appears that way because most mages are already higher than most on that ladder?

5. How can a person determine what a spirit's 'anchor' is? (A certain irresponsible legate cast a spell on my PC and now I hear cricket noises so I think it's haunted)

6. Who is the most famous graduate of the Academagia in the past 100 years and why is this person famous?

With an advanced form of negation.

Even without being the New Emperor i think there will be many other ways for the pc to become much more (in)famous than these two combined.

Fame aside, if i had to guess a npc who will accomplish great things by the end of year 5 , i would say Sima.

The problem is that you might earn fame among some elite but the general populace that hear their news trough Gossip, Storytelling and the Herald is slow is difficult to reach. They know the ruler and their family beside some great hero from many years in the past but for sure not if someone saved whole Mineta just 5 years ago especial when there where just other mages witnessing.

I think the largest spread fame we could get within the 5 years is to become a dangerous hunted criminal because then the Heralds will spread our name trough the general populace.

So I am the only one that will be actively avoiding needless fame? I'd rather be remembered as the good student that solved the Block Puzzle than the great student who was kidnapped for crossing the Costers one too many times and never heard of again.

Of course I might have ulterior motives for wanting to keep my head low, but you didn't hear that from me :rolleyes:.

Actually, question for the Legate: What happens in Y2 if the PC in Y1 does none of the Main questline adventures? I would assume the Y2 follow-up adventures simply don't show up and the world moves on, but does anything special happen?

Yes, but I'm more asking if anything special happens. Like if you didn't touch any of the Y1 main adventures (or, you know, didn't import a Y1 character in the first place) whether there'd be something like an event where the player can read, oh, like a school newspaper issue that has a special report on what the public knows happened in Y1? Be a good way to inform fresh Y2 characters of what happened in the background in Y1, assuming the Y2 main adventures are even open to fresh Y2 PCs.

As for that Keystone example/issue...well...yeah. Either the adventure is "completed" offscreen, it's retconned that it never happened/happened to another student, or there's actually a Y2 finish-up adventure. The last would be the best, but it would also be the most time-consuming in terms of writing, so I'm not sure.

You may be right, but the nobility is not as strong as it once was. As you can see in the Station:Merchant, a growing part of the population is getting business by trade. The nobility dont like, but is powerless to stop it. Pievre for example is a Republic already. There is some rudimentar forms of technology too, there is commerce, The poor farmer and his family serving the nobles is getting outdated.

I do want a high fame because i see as a recognition for my character feats. Was not expecting much of you wanting to keep your head low, because Mastery conflicts with synch and from what i read you are not much interested in Gates. Well, i could think other reasons other than Dark magic sure, but would usually be the main reason to want low fame i could think of.

Supposedly, something bad happens. Well the Legate said you might want get involved early on, although thats pretty vague. I dont know how they will implement that tho. I imagine an automatic adventure at some point.

I honestly like hearing that, no wonder Sir Huvrest is so chill for a noble.

Because I don't like getting into trouble, and making a name for myself is one of the best ways to get into trouble. It doesn't make for a very exciting life, but you know, getting kidnapped because I ticked off the Costers isn't the kind of excitement I need anyway. Just give me a comfortable chair, a nice fireplace and a good book with maybe a few prophetic dreams of old Gates wizards living on mountains that the Legate can go deal with while I stay behind and assist Briardi every now and again and I'll be happy. There's always trouble to be found if I ever get bored, so if I want it I'll just look for it. There's also the part about Sync not being as legal as I should be (or am) comfortable with and getting recognised by people that can't tell Sync from Mastery would kinda lead to bad things, so yeah.

Unless that "something bad" involves Diavesque I question whether it can honestly be called "bad". "Something inconvenient" might be more appropriate. Something clear might also be helpful, but, eh, pipe dreams.

I do want a high fame because i see as a recognition for my character feats. Was not expecting much of you wanting to keep your head low, because Mastery conflicts with synch and from what i read you are not much interested in Gates. Well, i could think other reasons other than Dark magic sure, but would usually be the main reason to want low fame i could think of.

Fame brings attention, expectations jealousy and sometimes admiration.

A pc that stands out will have more attention on him/her meaning that the pc will be less able to do things under the radar. The pc will also be more easily recognised by other people.

Many people will expect him to live up to his reputation and may be harsher in judgement and punition if the pc does a mistake/bad things. Like a detention while a normal student would get away with a reprimend. Sometimes its the reverse but less likely.

Jealousy of course. Of those who wish to have the pc's place, this might get the pc in some trouble with people wanting to tarnish his reputation and maybe make some ennemies. A pirate wanting to kidnap a student might prefer Mr famous over random dude.

finally admiration. Yes famous people are often admired, sometimes for no other reason than being famous.

EDIT:

You may be right, but the nobility is not as strong as it once was. As you can see in the Station:Merchant, a growing part of the population is getting business by trade. The nobility dont like, but is powerless to stop it. Pievre for example is a Republic already. There is some rudimentar forms of technology too, there is commerce, The poor farmer and his family serving the nobles is getting outdated.

The nobility is stronger than you think. It still has much of the power in the world and a lot of special right everywhere.

Yes they are more wealthy burghers but that's not really weakining the nobility some may even take advantage of it if they are intelligent and the burghers are not (yet) really a threat to nobility's hegemony. If anything the only real counter power just like the real world is the church.

And so were Venice and Genoa in the middle age. Freaking rich and powerfull but dwarf in comparison of the aristocratic realms. ;)

Not really poor farmer will continue to serve their noble masters until its time for them to become labourer and serve their rich and capitalist master. :P

In fact in the real world the nobility has never been so powerfull than in ther renaissance era when the church was weakened by the reform and the people had yet to be awakened by the humanist idea of the enlightnment era.

Free;

1. Apart from Monteon, (which is probably better thought of as its own class of incident) has any inhabited island island ever fallen from the sky? Naturally or otherwise?

Yes, naturally, although it returned and reformed from its own wellspring.

2. Are there forms of magic that the Academy doesn't teach because it's too dangerous? (dangerous but legal. Gates or Mastery not applicable)

Yes. :)

3. Can you explain the parent skill Enspell? I kind of understand it's sub skills and how they individually might improve spellcasting overall, but not really how an Enspell roll can return the durand Statue back to it's lifeless position in the Aranaz Sphinx Syndicate adventure.

I believe Enspell is used there only as an expression of spellcasting skill. I don't think it was intended to be the source of the magic (although I have to ask.)

4. Generally speaking, do mages tend to be officers or common soldiers? Given how magic is in setting *usually* acquired by those who are well to do, I am curious if being a mage elevates you socially or if it only appears that way because most mages are already higher than most on that ladder?

It elevates you if you aren't already elevated, although not to the degree of nobility.

5. How can a person determine what a spirit's 'anchor' is? (A certain irresponsible legate cast a spell on my PC and now I hear cricket noises so I think it's haunted)

As noted above, advanced Negation. Oh, and [redacted]. ;)

6. Who is the most famous graduate of the Academagia in the past 100 years and why is this person famous?

You'll have to read the lores for that. ;)

Edit: Fortunately for Schwarzbart's question, several swamps are major producers of salt (and there are a few mines, too). It's not that rare or expensive.

I believe Enspell is used there only as an expression of spellcasting skill. I don't think it was intended to be the source of the magic (although I have to ask.)

I'd just like to point out that since neither of Aranaz' forced classes are magic classes it is technically possible to reach that adventure stage and pass the Enspell option without even being informed of any Revision, Negation etc. skills at all.

Glory may bring you enemies, but may bring allies aswell. Say, that you studied dark magic, your high glory facilitaded you being discovered, and you was imprisioned.

Glory might bring me allies, but if I avoid making enemies I avoid needing allies in the first place. And no, you won't get imprisoned, you'll most likely get hanged. Or guillotined, that is also a possibility.

The way the option is written it sounds more like the bat is executing a raid than pickpocketing. And while it's definitely harder the option isn't entirely worthless if it rolls Finesse/Raid v. 6 as opposed to Strength/Raid v. 6, since with 3 Finesse that means the option will always be at least red.