Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

"Sleight-of-Hand is the skill of the quick grab" what is the action the bat performs there and also its Acrobatics (good flying) and Composure (keep the cool).

But even the best SS combination of raid is questionable for the task the bat performs there

- Pure Luck, Navigation and Tactics might work but I don't think that is what described in the adventure and if even one of this is replaced with Riding or Drive Carriage it becomes really strange. Raid is in my understanding more the skill for a quick assault of a small group not of a single person or in this case a bat.

Edit:

My questions to the Legate:

1) Why was Familiar Adventure Bat 3 Exit 1 changed from Slight-of-Hand to Raid in DLC 16 or CP 3?

2) Will we be able to start the Library in year 2 already on the day when we pack to go home? I wonder because my current char already have 5 books.

- Pure Luck, Navigation and Tactics might work but I don't think that is what described in the adventure and if even one of this is replaced with Riding or Drive Carriage it becomes really strange. Raid is in my understanding more the skill for a quick assault of a small group not of a single person or in this case a bat.

Truth be told, a bat driving a carriage by means of riding a horse to get fur from other animals if he's careful enough about where to push his luck isn't something that's too odd for Academagia standards.

1) How important are Engineering and Forge skills for a Vernin char?

2) I know Revision can replace the construction steps for a artificer but is there then no problem with how long the item lasts?

3) At what year will we have items that change to one or even more different items after some time to simulate the temporary effect from Revision?

4) Is Vrenelle Bonvin one of the very wealthy who have some influence but are not noble?

1) How important are Engineering and Forge skills for a Vernin char?

2) I know Revision can replace the construction steps for a artificer but is there then no problem with how long the item lasts?

3) At what year will we have items that change to one or even more different items after some time to simulate the temporary effect from Revision?

4) Is Vrenelle Bonvin one of the very wealthy who have some influence but are not noble?

5) Is transferring a simple enchantment from one item to another easy enough for a senior Academagia student to accomplish, and what school of magic would be used for that anyway?

On 'A Note from the Headmaster'.

Exactly how often does the Legate recruit first years for things like what the player gets involved in?

Also, The final Negation roll (with the time spell and map) was quite difficult. Given that this particular problem that the player faced was likely an oversight by Orsi, who probably didn't expect you to need to fumble with magics that advanced... What year would the Academy teach this kind of Negation? It seems to me that the player just gets lucky with some correct intuition based on the foundation of Negation.

My Question to 3) Was more at what year have you planed that the game engine will allow that a item with duration is replaced with 1 or more other items when the duration run out.

Also is the risk of be caught using illegal magic depending on the location where you use it? I.e. if you cast a gate spell in the Schohanwitch school there should be no risk of be caught.

1. Would it be possible to get away with not actually wearing a school uniform if you were really, really good with Glamour/Revision to make it appear as if you were?

2. Actually, what is the school's policy on physical punishment, which seems quite lacking for the period of time in question. Has the academy ever had a 'spare the rod, spoil the child' approach'?

3. What is the possibility of getting out of required classes via competency?

4. Would it be possible to incant volnauge into existance, even temporarily, in case say, you needed to abandon airship?

5. What is the average lifespan of an airship? In real life it was maybe 20 to maybe 30 years if you were lucky, but such ships had to deal with salt water and organisms that like to grow on ships in salt water so I'm curious.

6. Is it publically known that inquisitors on illegal magic exist?

7. When exactly are the acceptance letters for the nex year mailed out from the school? Any chance we could hear rumors of who might show up in their first year in our second year before we leave the school for summer?

8. Are there/ have there been periods of time where mages have been weaker or stronger? Kind of like in Avatar where certain elements got stronger or weaker over lunar phases/ commet appearances, etc.?

1. If people don't notice you're not wearing one they're not going to complain.

2. I'm sure they had such a policy at a time, and quickly abolished it when they realised it also taught "physical violence is a correct method for dealing with those who do wrong" to people that would one day learn how to conjure fireballs.

3. I imagine that depending on how much your Regent likes you the odds range from "impossible" to "not impossible". Whether the PC will even see it, though, is another matter.

6. Doubtful. If they don't exist than, well, they don't exist, but if they do exist it wouldn't be good for people to know what they are and from where the operate.

7. I suspect that acceptance letters aren't taken care of at least until after the students (those that can, at least) leave the campus for summer, since I imagine that sorting exam results and sending result letters etc. would take at least a day or two.

Metis;

It *can* last 4 years, but is more likely to last...months. Skill must be very high.

Schwarzbart;

I suspect yes. :)

Free;

1. Would it be possible to get away with not actually wearing a school uniform if you were really, really good with Glamour/Revision to make it appear as if you were?

Probably.

2. Actually, what is the school's policy on physical punishment, which seems quite lacking for the period of time in question. Has the academy ever had a 'spare the rod, spoil the child' approach'?

The University does have corporal punishment.

3. What is the possibility of getting out of required classes via competency?

Not likely. ;)

4. Would it be possible to incant volnauge into existance, even temporarily, in case say, you needed to abandon airship?

It's been tried, and with limited success.

5. What is the average lifespan of an airship? In real life it was maybe 20 to maybe 30 years if you were lucky, but such ships had to deal with salt water and organisms that like to grow on ships in salt water so I'm curious.

Volnauge can last a century or more.

6. Is it publically known that inquisitors on illegal magic exist?

Yes.

7. When exactly are the acceptance letters for the nex year mailed out from the school? Any chance we could hear rumors of who might show up in their first year in our second year before we leave the school for summer?

They arrive in late summer, so it is possible.

8. Are there/ have there been periods of time where mages have been weaker or stronger? Kind of like in Avatar where certain elements got stronger or weaker over lunar phases/ commet appearances, etc.?

No, not as such.

1) How common are tracks and where are they used?

2) Is the first train already invented?

3) Is the idea of using a steam engine on each end of a track to pull a wagon in use?

4) Are steam engine used for powering production machines?

5) Is there already some kind of mass production like the first automated loom?

6) How deep can our characters go into the modern techniques of engineering trough the game? Will we see some more sub skills there and also the level up to 21?

Are muskets common enough that an army could equip a decent garrison with them if they desired to? and do nobility have the same opinions as the old knights of real life would? (How unsporting it is to have a device that can pierce this expensive armor I own by birthright! I'm supposed to be able to kill people without them being able to kill me.)

Unless that armor is made from non-conductive metal or has a non-conductive coating I think people should be more worried about electricity. Speaking of, Legate, are soldiers protected by (conductive) metal armor or are army commanders a bit more cognisant of how this leaves them wide open to a wizard with a Chain Lightning spell? Also speaking of which, is there a Chain Lightning spell? Maybe one that steals the minor charge generated by a poor fool's heart so it can more easily jump from victim to victim or tell which ones are already corpses that haven't yet fallen over, something like that?

Oh don't mind me, totally just asking :P. Incidentally, how's progress on the old bag and PM questions?

To me the crossbow is irrelevant. Yes yes it came first, and most issues related to the musket could be applied to it with pros and cons on both sides. etc etc. The setting already has gunpowder so I am more interested with gunpower weapon analogy.

Edit: Metis, clearly you are the creator of many spells which will be declared too destructive and thus will be banned as bad form.

To me the crossbow is irrelevant. Yes yes it came first, and most issues related to the musket could be applied to it with pros and cons on both sides. etc etc. The setting already has gunpowder so I am more interested with gunpower weapon analogy.

Edit: Metis, clearly you are the creator of many spells which will be declared too destructive and thus will be banned as bad form.

Do cannons count as a "gunpowder weapon"? Because if so muskets aren't going to be too major a concern I think.

Oh funny you should mention that, actually. On a completely unrelated note, has there ever been a battle (major or minor) fought as part of a war where both armies ended up deader than a field of doornails? Perhaps because of electrocution? I've got plans.