Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Cymrean;

You are correct. Demi-Tour is Initiative, although it's for Duels.

Initiative for Actions draws from a lot of sources, but they are mostly drowned out by the random factor (which is quite large, as I recall: 1-1000.)

Minetans speak Renaglian, but many (especially in the Upper City) speak Elumian, as this is the language of the bureaucracy and especially of trade. At the Academagia, the lingua franca (elumia? :) ) is Elumian.

Hm... interesting. So most of the students at Academagia are probably at least partially bilingual, then (so they can get their shopping done and of course understand their classes)?

So, if I'm understanding correctly, for Initiative or Initiative, Rounds in a duel, the two characters roll off Finesse/Demi-Tour?

Is there are form of allowed magic that allows summoning of inanimate objects, or does that fall under Gates? I'm thinking things like someone camping summoning themselves up a pillow, or a mage summoning their lucky wand from home or a magic knight summoning their super special sword from it's place in their family vault, or even summoning up bandages and splints in an emergency where you can't spare the Revision (or when the injury is grave enough that both Revision and scientic first aid might be viable). If possible, what discipline is it?

What about creating something out of nothing? Can a mage holding nothing make themselves a pillow, or a wand, or a sword, or a bandage? I know they can make a glamour of one, and I'm guessing a combination of incredibly skilled glamour and maybe some self directed mastery could make an object that isn't real, but you and your enemies believe it is real, and thus your head is convinced it's on a pillow and it feels like a pillow even though it's a rock, but it sounds complicated and that's 'I'm guessing' being used once again. So is that possible? What discipline does it fall under?

Have there been any calls to disband Aranaz Collage due to it no longer teaching a pillar of magic? How serious have they been? Just a few loonies, or is it like the Avila boys situation, where there's a lot of support for getting rid of it from outside and inside quarters? Or has the issue never even come up yet (quite possibly because Profesosr Sixt would Be Very Displeased >.>)?

If a male Avila student asked Professor Badcrumble point-blank what she thought about the males in her collage Avila, how would she respond? Are there ever lessons in to trying to make them proper young gentlemen similar to how the gals are taught to be proper young ladies?

About male Avila uniform: do the boys wear regular ankle socks, or do they wear the longer socks (often called stockings in older days)- most commonly these days referring to baseball uniforms 'stockings') that are around knee-high (perhaps with breeches?), or are they expected in the pattern of the 17th century to wear hose? ...This is oddly important, I swear.

Mikka;

Hm... interesting. So most of the students at Academagia are probably at least partially bilingual, then (so they can get their shopping done and of course understand their classes)?

Most are bilingual, but not necessarily in Renaglian. All of the services in the Upper City speak Elumian, they being quite used to the constant influx of foreign students who speak nothing but. :)

So, if I'm understanding correctly, for Initiative or Initiative, Rounds in a duel, the two characters roll off Finesse/Demi-Tour?

Correct.

Is there are form of allowed magic that allows summoning of inanimate objects, or does that fall under Gates? I'm thinking things like someone camping summoning themselves up a pillow, or a mage summoning their lucky wand from home or a magic knight summoning their super special sword from it's place in their family vault, or even summoning up bandages and splints in an emergency where you can't spare the Revision (or when the injury is grave enough that both Revision and scientic first aid might be viable). If possible, what discipline is it?

No, true summoning is purely Gates. Other forms of magic can do something similar, but it's not true summoning. Probably the closest is Astrology, which could enable you to be 'destined' to coincidentally find what you are looking for- but that can take a lot of time, especially if the object is far away. Being destined to happen upon your lucky wand from home probably would involve it being stolen from your home, changing hands several times, before being brought to the City of Mineta to be sold at the wand markets, and then, finally, dropped from a crate accidentally at your feet. :)

What about creating something out of nothing? Can a mage holding nothing make themselves a pillow, or a wand, or a sword, or a bandage? I know they can make a glamour of one, and I'm guessing a combination of incredibly skilled glamour and maybe some self directed mastery could make an object that isn't real, but you and your enemies believe it is real, and thus your head is convinced it's on a pillow and it feels like a pillow even though it's a rock, but it sounds complicated and that's 'I'm guessing' being used once again. So is that possible? What discipline does it fall under?

Actually, Incantation is the magical pillar you are looking for (although Glamour can do the job, as you note, and Revision could of course transform a rock into a pillow), but creating complex objects from absolute thin air is the hallmark of a master, and definitely not something you could accomplish at lower levels of study.

Have there been any calls to disband Aranaz Collage due to it no longer teaching a pillar of magic? How serious have they been? Just a few loonies, or is it like the Avila boys situation, where there's a lot of support for getting rid of it from outside and inside quarters? Or has the issue never even come up yet (quite possibly because Profesosr Sixt would Be Very Displeased >.>)?

Yes, there have been a lot of calls, and many hard-fought and bitter battles over it. These continue into the present day, but Aranaz has enough strong backers that there appears to be no serious threat to it.

If a male Avila student asked Professor Badcrumble point-blank what she thought about the males in her collage Avila, how would she respond? Are there ever lessons in to trying to make them proper young gentlemen similar to how the gals are taught to be proper young ladies?

I'll defer that one to the Content Team. :)

About male Avila uniform: do the boys wear regular ankle socks, or do they wear the longer socks (often called stockings in older days)- most commonly these days referring to baseball uniforms 'stockings') that are around knee-high (perhaps with breeches?), or are they expected in the pattern of the 17th century to wear hose? ...This is oddly important, I swear.

I *believe* they wear hose.

No, true summoning is purely Gates.

How about calling something from a specific place? If I remember correctly, in Negation, Briardi taught you how to call your wand after being disarmed. Can you be in a different room and call your wand like that, making it, say, smash through the windows to come to you? Or does the spell have limitations of distance?

If a teacher or say, Orso, learned that you knew Gates later on but only doing a pressing matter or by doing something important or useful, would they have to hand you to someone or could/would they keep quiet?

in Missing Rubies it is shown that Briardi knows Euneycia...which I found interesting and shocking at the same time.

Also, what class does Orsi teach?

MadHatt;

It's possible to call a Wand in the manner you describe, and have it come over physical distance. But it's velocity and ability to punch through things make the Spell more difficult.

In the case of Gates usage, the Instructors would likely talk to you, and ask that you never use it again. But it's a very serious offense.

Orso does not teach Classes, but he does hold seasonal seminars for 5th year Students.

Mikka;

Here's your response. :)

"She'd probably say something polite about how they're just as much her students as the girls, and she strives to treat them no differently."

There was a lot more, but I had to hide it. :)

She does give the boys lessons sporadically, and only at the beginning of the year.

Resuming a question that drowned a few days ago: How large are dragons (a bike, small house, large house, 200 m,..?) and how much difference is there from dragon to dragon? Are males larger than females?

And an even older question I had which I think was answered but I may have misunderstood: The princes and principalities,.. are they the equivalent to the russian (just as example) kind of prices?

It just dawned on me today, as we in Denmark difference between 'Prins' which would be male child of a king, and 'Fyrste' which would be the leader of an area and usually part of the nobility. Both would translate to 'Prince' in english.

Adrian;

Dragons are quite large, although they do have significant size variations between breeds and age stages. Dragons seem to be about the size of buildings, with old ones (legend says) reaching the size of city blocks.

Noble titles in Elumia are disorganized after the end of the Emperors, with each region more or less settling upon its own arrangements. The usage is more similar to 'fyrste', however.

Is there a list of gods by name and portfolio? Both old and new preferably. Also since i never managed to slip by the guards into the wedding feast during that particular holiday i don't know anything about how weddings look in Elumia. Specifically what priest of what god would perform the ceremony and what would it look like. (yeah it's related to my random skill for random event thing...)

"She'd probably say something polite about how they're just as much her students as the girls, and she strives to treat them no differently."

There was a lot more, but I had to hide it. :)

Gasp! Your hiding things gives me a strange premonition that despite her words, the lady may not be as fair as she claims she strives to be. Rebel, oh male students of Avila! Rebel!

As for random spells, there's always Incantation spell you use to put up posters in Prudence's adventure, too- I can never remember the name, but I wish we had access to it. Spells that our characters get to cast but don't have are no fun, even though I'm not sure of what the utility of that spell would be. (You, uh, stick your wand to the ceiling! ...Go you!)

Are there any animals or magical creatures that are pretty commonly used as familiars that our characters as of yet (due to lack of content or young age) don't have access to?

...Is Katja from Meriel?

I'm curious where Phillipe Marchant is from. His name suggests Meril but in the Hedi adventure it is mentioned that his father insulted the Captain...so he is in Mineta? And he has a brother named Dexter.

And is Catherine Chard from Auncesay?

Do the people in Cyve (did I spell that right? the ones in the non-flying places) have magic and things that the ones in the flying islands have? Or is it the non-magical equivalent (sort of like the normal world)?

Phillipe is from Wies, I believe, which is on Meril. Might be Chaus, though.

Catherine is indeed from Auncesay.

It's unknown about Cyve, but they certainly had magic before the Exile, and Cyvonomers believe they can perceive magical influence in the design of Cyvan cities, their lights, and certain structures. There is no way to be entirely sure.

Ooo. Okay. Sorry, but I'm going to toss a metric ton of mostly geographical questions at you, if you can forgive me for doing so.

(http://sapiento.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d344adv as a base)

A) Elumia: the term includes everything on our world map except for Oursouk (which is the central large island partially off the map with the Beydom's and Pasha's, the small island of Khaifa, and the two tiny islands of Pezzo and Dona Vittoria (though Vittoria is contested by Strozza, iirc?), and maybe some other islands south of our map). It then includes the rest of Staade and Auncesay that's off to the north. Does it technically include the south-eastern archipelagos off of the map that the Rengaglian's trade through/conquer? Does it include Vilocia? The northwest archipelagos?

Oh, and Elumia also apparently includes all of Cyve bellow, right?

B) If you go East, you reach Alesfa (the last bastion against the dark unknown, if one believes a certain explorer's diary). If you go east from there, you reach jungles and tigers and dragon-touched lands (in my head, that's sort of India). If you continue going east, I assume you find other dragon-touched lands, including ones where the ninjas come from (there may be a few places, like Alesfa, that were able to remain mostly noncorrupted by dragons, I guess). If you continue going east, you die horribly to the malestroms (and the dragons), but there are supposedly the Onyx Isles. Am I correct with all that? And if so... why do the dragons seem to mostly ignore paticularly Alesfa to continue in to Elumia to attack the wall? Does the current of Embers reach that far east?

C) Meril is and Meril nots. Please excuse my misspelling of many of these areas, but from what I can figure out... Meril is the north island, and thus that is the Isle of Meril. Everything on that Isle is the Isle of Meril geographically, but politically, some other islands are part of the 'Meril' entity and some parts on the isle are very loudly not. On the north and northeast part of the isle are the countries that are on the Isle of Meril, but don't consider themselves part of Meril in a political/national sense: County of Ols, Barony of Jillon, the Barony and Principality of Jeres, the Barony of Wies, and the Barony of Chaus- are those correct, and the only ones? (The County of Montebreon, in particular, is right on the edge of the boundary- I'm not sure where it fits in.) Off the Isle, I know that the lonely island of Ile Bruyere is consider Meril. How about the Duchy of Sommeil, the Duchy of Thevre, the Marquis of Le Ceinse, and so on?

D) Auncesay! Staade! Where on the map are they? Obviously, the Duchy of Staade is Staade. And both of them have territory north. Earldom makes me think English, so I wonder if that and the Duchy of Langsy are part of Aunescay (perhaps then with the County of Strasberg)? Then perhaps the isle the Duchy of Staade is on is part of Staade (and Staade is just a large part of Vilocia)? And then the Duchy of Ruckmarn... argh, I really don't know! What area do all those northish islands belong to?

E) (Early-early in this thread, you said 'Staade is a part of Reisengen, which is the Germanic equivalent.', while much later you said, 'Renaglia is northern Italy, Meril is French in character, Vilocia is Germanic, etc. :) ... Staade is part of Vilocia, and is Germanic. :)'. Was there a name change, or is Reisengen another word for Vilocian?)

F) There are continued wars going on between the Duchy of Breuil and the Republic of Pievre, and then the Confederation of the Plaite and the Duchy of Vauriege. What were they (stated, anyway) to be about? There was also a recent 'particularly bloody' conflict between the Duchy of Staade and the Principality of Schus... how did that go?

G) Has a name been given to the northern Russia-like and Scandanavia-like countries? What characters are from there (...Jere)?

H) Strozza- does it start at the isle of Stazia, or at the Monti de Leuca? I believe it's stated to go down to the the County of Lia Nassa... does it also include the Republic of Venne, the Barony of Thei, and the island with the providences of Tea and Bianca on it?

I) Is it the Empire of Teique or the Sultanate of Teique? (Or is the later part of the former?) It's mentioned the Beydom's of Oursouk are titles/designations made by Teique: is Teique still normally in charge of Oursock and it's surrounding isles (but in practice, it doesn't really mean anything), is Oursouck a straight vassal of some sort of Teique, does Oursouck have nothing to do with Teique, does it depend on the Pasha/Beydom, or what? ...is the Empire dragon-touched/influenced?

J) Monteon, Monteon. My favorite country. What's it up to, there? Ile Bruyere presumably went spiraling off of the rest of it to end up chillin' with Meril. A large portion of it crashed in to the ocean in a great/horrible tragedy. There's still three providences and one tiny island (Castillo) still there, though. What are they like? Do people live on them? Are they completely devastated beyond repair, or a spooky untouched reminder of what once was, or what? Do any of the three girls with Monteon ancestory/names actually come from this land mass?

K) Still on Monteon, I think I've seen three different explanations for the fall- volcanoes, messing with magic that was not comprehended, or a horrific artifact of doom (which sort of ties in to the second)... along with the usual 'lack of faith' explanation. I have a feeling it's actually the second, but I can't remember that for certain. What's the story most common people/peasants know about the fall? How about the story that would be taught in Academagia History? (I swear, I've read every file on the Calamites, but I want detail!... I apologize.)

I... I think that's it. Please take your time, I know that's a ton of questions to toss at you. Thanks for all the answers you give. :)

Mikka;

Sure, I can answer these. :)

A) Elumia: the term includes everything on our world map except for Oursouk (which is the central large island partially off the map with the Beydom's and Pasha's, the small island of Khaifa, and the two tiny islands of Pezzo and Dona Vittoria (though Vittoria is contested by Strozza, iirc?), and maybe some other islands south of our map). It then includes the rest of Staade and Auncesay that's off to the north. Does it technically include the south-eastern archipelagos off of the map that the Rengaglian's trade through/conquer? Does it include Vilocia? The northwest archipelagos?

Elumia once included Oursouk (and maybe still does, technically), but after the Cataclysm, for a variety of reasons, it was dropped from the association. Elumia traditionally also includes Auncesay and Staade (as well as other islands, further north). Pezzo and Dona Vittoria are technically a part of Oursouk.

Oh, and Elumia also apparently includes all of Cyve bellow, right?

Kind of- Elumia is a much older name, and parts of it remain on Cyve, below.

B) If you go East, you reach Alesfa (the last bastion against the dark unknown, if one believes a certain explorer's diary). If you go east from there, you reach jungles and tigers and dragon-touched lands (in my head, that's sort of India). If you continue going east, I assume you find other dragon-touched lands, including ones where the ninjas come from (there may be a few places, like Alesfa, that were able to remain mostly noncorrupted by dragons, I guess). If you continue going east, you die horribly to the malestroms (and the dragons), but there are supposedly the Onyx Isles. Am I correct with all that? And if so... why do the dragons seem to mostly ignore paticularly Alesfa to continue in to Elumia to attack the wall? Does the current of Embers reach that far east?

It's a great question- the Current of Embers does not go to Alesfa. ;)

C) Meril is and Meril nots. Please excuse my misspelling of many of these areas, but from what I can figure out... Meril is the north island, and thus that is the Isle of Meril. Everything on that Isle is the Isle of Meril geographically, but politically, some other islands are part of the 'Meril' entity and some parts on the isle are very loudly not. On the north and northeast part of the isle are the countries that are on the Isle of Meril, but don't consider themselves part of Meril in a political/national sense: County of Ols, Barony of Jillon, the Barony and Principality of Jeres, the Barony of Wies, and the Barony of Chaus- are those correct, and the only ones? (The County of Montebreon, in particular, is right on the edge of the boundary- I'm not sure where it fits in.) Off the Isle, I know that the lonely island of Ile Bruyere is consider Meril. How about the Duchy of Sommeil, the Duchy of Thevre, the Marquis of Le Ceinse, and so on?

That's mostly correct. The old Kings of Meril held suzerainty over most of the island (only la Ceinse was truly independent during all periods), and many attempts have been made to reunite the isle over the centuries, without success.

Ols and Jillon consider themselves Merilien, and are 'mostly' aligned to Auncesay. The *rulers* of Chaus and Wies associate themselves with Reisengen, but most of the people think of themsleves as Merilien or Ivresien (it's Ivres, not Jeres). Ivres considers itself to be distinct from Meril. Montbreton is considered Merilien, Azern is not.

Sommeil considers themselves apart, but Thevre is Merilien (this has to do with the aftermath of the Cataclysm). La Ceinse is mostly aligned to Auncesay.

D) Auncesay! Staade! Where on the map are they? Obviously, the Duchy of Staade is Staade. And both of them have territory north. Earldom makes me think English, so I wonder if that and the Duchy of Langsy are part of Aunescay (perhaps then with the County of Strasberg)? Then perhaps the isle the Duchy of Staade is on is part of Staade (and Staade is just a large part of Vilocia)? And then the Duchy of Ruckmarn... argh, I really don't know! What area do all those northish islands belong to?

Auncesay includes Langsey, the Kingquay and Earlbarton, and continues fairly extensively north as well. Staade is a part of Reisengen, and speak Vilocian. The Republic of Ruckmarn is also part of Reisengen.

E) (Early-early in this thread, you said 'Staade is a part of Reisengen, which is the Germanic equivalent.', while much later you said, 'Renaglia is northern Italy, Meril is French in character, Vilocia is Germanic, etc. :) ... Staade is part of Vilocia, and is Germanic. :)'. Was there a name change, or is Reisengen another word for Vilocian?)

Vilocia is the old Elumian name for Reisengen. They are essentially interchangeable, although these days Vilocia usually refers to the language, or to a specific set of isles (off the map).

F) There are continued wars going on between the Duchy of Breuil and the Republic of Pievre, and then the Confederation of the Plaite and the Duchy of Vauriege. What were they (stated, anyway) to be about? There was also a recent 'particularly bloody' conflict between the Duchy of Staade and the Principality of Schus... how did that go?

Breuil and Pievre are fighting over Pievre's republican system of government. Vauriege fairly regularly attacks the members of the Confederation for territory, honor and gold. Schus lost, and Staade won mining concessions for its costers. A great deal of coal and other industrial components come from Schus.

G) Has a name been given to the northern Russia-like and Scandanavia-like countries? What characters are from there (...Jere)?

Yes, the Russian isles are loosely called Azhova, and the (very small) Scandinavian area is Ealland. That island also includes Jenlainen, which where Jere comes from.

H) Strozza- does it start at the isle of Stazia, or at the Monti de Leuca? I believe it's stated to go down to the the County of Lia Nassa... does it also include the Republic of Venne, the Barony of Thei, and the island with the providences of Tea and Bianca on it?

There are some vagaries as to which islands belong to Strozza in the Vallate chain, but generally it's given as beginning with Calamina all the way down to Thei and Ceada.

I) Is it the Empire of Teique or the Sultanate of Teique? (Or is the later part of the former?) It's mentioned the Beydom's of Oursouk are titles/designations made by Teique: is Teique still normally in charge of Oursock and it's surrounding isles (but in practice, it doesn't really mean anything), is Oursouck a straight vassal of some sort of Teique, does Oursouck have nothing to do with Teique, does it depend on the Pasha/Beydom, or what? ...is the Empire dragon-touched/influenced?

Teique has variously been an Empire and a Sultanate. It's a Sultanate currently. Oursouk was the westernmost outpost of Teique, although it's control was never very strong. Nominally, Oursouk is still ruled by the Sultan of Teique, but no-one gives orders to the Khedive of Saisyne and lives. Well, no one sees her and lives, at any rate. :)

J) Monteon, Monteon. My favorite country. What's it up to, there? Ile Bruyere presumably went spiraling off of the rest of it to end up chillin' with Meril. A large portion of it crashed in to the ocean in a great/horrible tragedy. There's still three providences and one tiny island (Castillo) still there, though. What are they like? Do people live on them? Are they completely devastated beyond repair, or a spooky untouched reminder of what once was, or what? Do any of the three girls with Monteon ancestory/names actually come from this land mass?

People do live on the Castillo Marino, but it's mostly out of pride as what remains of Monteon is a wracked and tortured land of ash, cinders and noxious fumes. Ile Bruyere was not attached to Monteon, but it did have large holdings on that island (in fact, almost as large as the Kings of Monteon themselves!) Monteon by name leaves out the many other nations that were on that island when it plunged to Cyve. None of the three Monteon girls are from Monteon (but really, almost none of that people are anymore. :))

K) Still on Monteon, I think I've seen three different explanations for the fall- volcanoes, messing with magic that was not comprehended, or a horrific artifact of doom (which sort of ties in to the second)... along with the usual 'lack of faith' explanation. I have a feeling it's actually the second, but I can't remember that for certain. What's the story most common people/peasants know about the fall? How about the story that would be taught in Academagia History? (I swear, I've read every file on the Calamites, but I want detail!... I apologize.)

The usual story depends on who you ask. At the Academagia they teach that it was the result of messing with magic that was not comprehended. And maybe volcanoes. :)

It's also common to hear about the Curse of Monteon, which has something to do with the insane, seemingly immortal Khedive of Saisyne. :)