Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Something I've always wondered:

"Each incoming First Year is assigned a Second Year as a mentor, someone to help guide them during their first year at the Academagia. As tradition dictates, this Second Year -me- greets the First Year -you- on Juvenalia. Appropriate, is it not? You're like my new apprentice. Don't worry though, I won't treat you like one," she gives a little laugh. "Anyway, it seems there was a little mix up in the registrar’s office this year, though, because they took in three last-minute additions and ran out of mentors."

The PC, it can assumed, is one of the last-minute additions seeing as how one of the Third Year mentors is assigned to you. But who are the other two?

The PC is not one of the last minute additions...

Muahaha!

Eureka!

Tabin Furenzti, Magsa Nembo, and Sima Venesico, AKA the Triplets. They're the three "last minute additions", aren't they?

1. What exact year was Mastery and Gates banned? Exactly 300 years ago?

2. Who banned it? As it's globally banned I'm guessing it involved some sort of religious authority or did the nations just agree that it was time?

3. Is anyone known to be significantly older than the Ban ~300 years ago (old even when the ban took hold)?

4. Are any of the Academagia teachers older than they appear, or do they tend to retire when they get really old?

5. I'm assuming it must be part of the scriptures, how old were the New Gods when they died?

6. Does Life-Extension magics rely on many different schools or primarily one, like Enchant?

7. Can Life-Extending magics be used on someone who is not a wizard, or perhaps a mediocre one, allowing the wealthy to purchase it?

8. Is undead mages known to have existed or exist? Not vampires, but self-made undead, like liches from DnD.

9. If cosmetic enchantments are possible does this mean a wealthy and vain wizard could maintain good looks for centuries?

Dream;

1. What exact year was Mastery and Gates banned? Exactly 300 years ago?
It wasn't exact, but around that time, yes.
2. Who banned it? As it's globally banned I'm guessing it involved some sort of religious authority or did the nations just agree that it was time?
It was a mix of nations, the Imperial Temple and several prominent universities.
3. Is anyone known to be significantly older than the Ban ~300 years ago (old even when the ban took hold)?
Yes, there are a few rumored to be older than that, although it's not precisely public knowledge.
4. Are any of the Academagia teachers older than they appear, or do they tend to retire when they get really old?
You would have to ask them. :)
5. I'm assuming it must be part of the scriptures, how old were the New Gods when they died?
In their 40-60's, but it's difficult to know precisely as time was not kept on the Onyx Isles.
6. Does Life-Extension magics rely on many different schools or primarily one, like Enchant?
It can be Revision, Enchant, Negation or even Glamour, but usually it's a mix.
7. Can Life-Extending magics be used on someone who is not a wizard, or perhaps a mediocre one, allowing the wealthy to purchase it?
Yes, although more difficult.
8. Is undead mages known to have existed or exist? Not vampires, but self-made undead, like liches from DnD.
Rumors only.
9. If cosmetic enchantments are possible does this mean a wealthy and vain wizard could maintain good looks for centuries?
Yes.

It can be Revision, Enchant, Negation or even Glamour, but usually it's a mix.
Yes, although more difficult.

My, my, it seems the so-called "Omni Disciplinarians" gets to live the longest. I wonder if all the really old wizards have mastered multiple pillars or if true mastery of one is enough to reach 300+.

Oh, and I'd love to ask the teachers how old they are. Might that be possible in year 2?

Also does it make a difference how old you are when you begin using the magics or can you stave off death just as effectively if you start while you are already old?

Really? IIRC the old guy from The Board Game is looking for a new anti-ageing (that's how you spell that, spellchecker? You sure? Alrighty...) formula because he's developed a resistance to the method he was using, meaning he's unnaturally old, but the formula you get is said to rely on advanced Revision techniques. Wouldn't that potion recipe be of little to no use for him, than?

Well just because it's more effective from a young age doesn't mean it won't work at all if you start late.

Also maybe he was using a different Pillar previously, or had already used Revision for a while and needed more advanced techniques. Probably the latter, my impression was that he didn't expect the new treatment to work miracles.

True, but when the Legate says that it's "much easier" I don't expect the difference in lengthened age to be measures in weeks. I suppose beggars can't be choosers, but still.

He said he build a resistance to his old method, so if that method relied on Revision wouldn't a different method also based on Revision be doubly inefficient?

Well I assumed several years perhaps a decade, maybe two. Not much from a 2-3 century lifespan perspective.

I don't see why it would be even more inefficient, just similarly inefficient, but by attacking the problem from a slightly different angle (even within the same Pillar) you'd be able to inch out a couple more years.

Or maybe he's only starting to use Revision now and that's why (at his excessively advanced age) he doesn't expect much (compared to how long he's already lived).

The question is whether he can get that far. If each individual drink has it's usefulness reduced to months, even weeks, you're looking at a ton of potions even if they'll last him for a total of several decades. I suppose it's not unreasonable, but I have to wonder at what point the inefficiently will cross into impractical territory.

I don't either, at least nothing concrete. I'm only speculating.

Could be, it'd certainly explain thing nicely.

On a scale of one to premeditated murder, how bad is the rift between merchants seeking power and the nobility's old guard?

EDIT: Also, on a...not-completely-unrelated note, how long does it usually take before criminals sentenced to death have their sentence carried out?

Edited by Metis

Do you mean a timefreeze building or one where you get to move around and think at regular speed? Because if it's the latter I'm not even sure that's possible. If it's the former I imagine they are the same age they experienced, even if it took them centuries to live out the day.