Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

I figured it was gates. It's probably very closely related to the spells used to bind spirits.

So... Any news on Y2, yet, legate? Even Y1 news would be nice. How is DLC 17 coming along? Also..

Has the use of magic allowed for discoveries that might be more in line with modern day technologies? (even if they don't have practical applications at the current time.)

If a professor at the Academagia (or elsewhere) was shown to be a proscribed mage and executed, would the students of said professor likely have the eyes of investigators cast upon them?

And also, if anybody can help me, I am very, very, VERY interested in certain text involving the sphinx advanced adventure. It's one of the last steps exit text, more specifically, the success and failure texts one gets when attempting to use Mastery magic on that guy next to Legate Orsi. It is such an incredibly stupid thing to do I didn't use it on the one time I successfully completed the adventure and would like to know if anybody feels like digging that up. I don't want to start another game just for that one thing, though, so I was content to wait for the new modtools.

You'll have to wait for the modtools or someone far more dedicated to actually copy it out and get the full text, but the gist (since I went and had a look just now) is that if you succeed the guy Orso is arguing with just gets mad and starts pounding on him with his puny, puny fists. Orso finds this embarassing, knocks him into a pool and leaves. There's no indication that either of them even notice that you're there. On a failure you just... kind of fail to cast the spell I guess, nothing happens.

Free;

So... Any news on Y2, yet, legate? Even Y1 news would be nice. How is DLC 17 coming along? Also...

No news yet! They are considering about Y1 on Steam, specifically related to the UI.

Has the use of magic allowed for discoveries that might be more in line with modern day technologies? (even if they don't have practical applications at the current time.)

Yes, there have definitely been advances in medicine and communication that are similar to modern technologies- but nowhere near as friendly or ubiquitous.

If a professor at the Academagia (or elsewhere) was shown to be a proscribed mage and executed, would the students of said professor likely have the eyes of investigators cast upon them?

Yes.

What is it about the first year Schohanwicht curriculum that's so physically demanding? Is gates magic just inherently tiring/draining, or is there some more specific reason? What does a first year gates class actually look like, in terms of what you get up to?

So, if Gates magic requires more effort (both physical and mental) from the wizard than the other magic pillars, is it harder to gauge how much a Gates spell would take out of you? Kind of like how you can run out of stomach space eating a large plate of your favorite food. You think you can finish it at first, but then it becomes a struggle halfway.

This is a difficult question to ask but, does magic drain your stamina at once or gradually? (over the few seconds of casting or so) and if you don't have enough stamina because you're dead tired how does that affect the casting?

I think it may be possible if unlikely that Gates is simply more likely to run into miscasting due to stamina issues (perhaps if you strain to complete the spell the effects don't work perfectly because the energy did not get to the spell exactly as it needed it) Since Gates requires more effort than other magics, this too is a possibility.

1. How easy is it for a wizard to determine if an animal is a familiar at a glance? Do they vibrate magic or is some kind of testing required?

2. And how much magic do you need to do before a familiar might bond with you? It occurred to me that most students has a familiar before they show up, so can familiars actually bond with you before you've even begun to use magic?

3. Do some people exhibit the ability to use minor bits of magic as children or only after study and use of a wand?

Dream;

1. How easy is it for a wizard to determine if an animal is a familiar at a glance? Do they vibrate magic or is some kind of testing required?

At a glance, it can be difficult. However, since Familiars are usually intelligent, you can tell most easily from their behavior. Magical testing can also reveal it, ad hoc.

2. And how much magic do you need to do before a familiar might bond with you? It occurred to me that most students has a familiar before they show up, so can familiars actually bond with you before you've even begun to use magic?

They rarely bond with you before you start using magic (although it's not unknown before), generally some time after you first successful cast a spell.

3. Do some people exhibit the ability to use minor bits of magic as children or only after study and use of a wand?

After study.

Thanks.

1. Is it feasible for a brilliant child to have learned simple magic from self-studying magic books without a teacher?

2. Can magic linger in a family line, causing a familiar to bond with you?

3. A familiar with an unusually strong bond (as per character creation), is it permanently stronger than other bonds or do normal familiars catch up later?

4. If all glass and mirrors shattered at your birth would that be considered somewhat unusual or a spectacular occurrence? And would it be considered a magical event or an unexplained mystery?

5. When a person is unusually lucky can it be measured magically?

6. Is luck studied by mages, and is it considered somewhat superstitious or commonly accepted as a real phenomenon?

7) Given that some students buy theyr familiar how common is it that a mage from Academagia didn't find the right familiar during the time as student?

8) How uncommon is it that a student at Acadamagia have no familiar at all?

9) Will there new familiar in year 2 for the player?

10) Is it planed that some NPC student change theyr familiar over the next years?

11) Is already decided if the player start year 2 with two Familiar if Excange Familiar was used despite having the cursed rock as familiar?

Dream, Schwarzbart & Dyrhet;

1. Is it feasible for a brilliant child to have learned simple magic from self-studying magic books without a teacher?

Yes, it's possible, depending on the quality of the books.

2. Can magic linger in a family line, causing a familiar to bond with you?

Sort of. Because constant magical use has a 'residue' which can be applied to someone after enough exposure, it is possible to have a Familiar Bond with someone who wasn't a spellcaster. However, that Bond would deteriorate as the residue deteriorated.

3. A familiar with an unusually strong bond (as per character creation), is it permanently stronger than other bonds or do normal familiars catch up later?

Permanently stronger.

4. If all glass and mirrors shattered at your birth would that be considered somewhat unusual or a spectacular occurrence? And would it be considered a magical event or an unexplained mystery?

It would definitely be considered a portent, likely divine in origin.

5. When a person is unusually lucky can it be measured magically?

Yes.

6. Is luck studied by mages, and is it considered somewhat superstitious or commonly accepted as a real phenomenon?

Yes, it is considered to be both magical and divine.

7) Given that some students buy theyr familiar how common is it that a mage from Academagia didn't find the right familiar during the time as student?

Most settle for their first, but if you really looking for something special, that quest can take a lifetime.

8) How uncommon is it that a student at Acadamagia have no familiar at all?

Very rare.

9) Will there new familiar in year 2 for the player?

Two new ones, at least at launch.

10) Is it planed that some NPC student change theyr familiar over the next years?

It was talked about, but I don't think it happens in Y2.

11) Is already decided if the player start year 2 with two Familiar if Excange Familiar was used despite having the cursed rock as familiar?

Haha! Right now, in that scenario the Player does indeed have 2. However, that still may change.

If hypothetically magical education did become widespread as was talked about previously in the thread, would everyone who ever cast a spell get a familiar?

As far as the nature of the Bond is understood, yes, that is what would happen.

Thanks Legate, that's very interesting.

1. Is luck as common amongst non-magicians as magicians?

2. I know familiars can be lucky, but what about other non-humans?

3. Would a lucky person be seen as favoured by the gods and worthy of a degree of respect for that alone?

4. If a bond starts unusually strongly would it typically be because you were somehow more fitted to that particular being or because you were unusually lucky/magical or just completely random?