Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Well, no, not at the Academagia.... Openly...

Edit:

Legate, What is the general quality of construction of the buildings in Mineta. Is there an overabundance of wooden buildings that could carve a nasty firepath if ignited accidentally?

Schwarzbart;

1) In the Upper City, it can be as many as 5. Typically, 3-4, however.

2) In the Upper City, *some* of the homes are like this, but relatively few. The majority are town homes and villas. Where there are shops, they tend to fill the entire building, with upper floors being dedicated to crafting and storage.

3) The guards direct them where to go; welcoming parties are usually reserved only for the most influential and wealthy children.

Schwarzbart;

You can't get such a welcome in Y1, but the combination you mentioned probably would have warranted. Of the NPCs, Chard is definitely one, possibly a few others. I would have to ask. :)

Metis;

Haha! Yes, that's right. Or, well, it was Illegal. That could happen again in the future, depending on Player actions...

I get the suspicion that the complication events were some of the first written, both given how it presents some things that are patently untrue and how some of the exits actually have text in the sacrifice tab. Me wonders what other juicy secrets await. And while we're on that subject, a Toomeleon? Really? I can't even begin to wrap my head around whether it's an actual living creature (and if so, how it functions) or an item enchanted in such a way that it really ought to be horribly illegal.

1. What happened to the Gates-related beasts at the menagerie after the bans were enacted?

2, Has usage of Mastery magic ever showed an ethics decay outside of what would be expected from human nature?

3. In Y2 how does the unlocking of advanced skills work? I simply ask as I will undoubtably be attempting self study on subjects I won't have enough class slots for.

4. While there was the one adventure that mentioned the unsavory subject of kidnappings of people to serve on airships, does this extend to 'official' usage, akin to press gangs of the old days of sail?

5. Who are some of the most famous pirates operating around Mineta? And is Mineta considered a hotbed of piracy like the carribean of old? Or just 'average'

6. Are there dentists as a profession in setting? Or would that sort of thing fall under the umbrella of barbers?

7. Given the state of decline that the Empire is fairly apparent, is there risk of 'barbarian' invasions, kind of like the real roman empire had to constantly put up with in it's oiwn decline? (Maybe not of the island that the game takes place on, but in the far flung territories)

8. How potent can the spellcasting auras of particularly powerful and notable mages be?

9. If a Master magician wanted to put a medium powered ong lasting spell on a person,(say a hex to make the person litereally magnetic) how long can that last?

@1)Surely animals are allowed to use the forbidden arts. What about that poor Mastery lizard are they just going to kill it?!?!?

If by related you mean just summoned, like the Platypus then they definitely should be legal. I mean Gates-related artefacts are perfectly legal, so long as they were registered as being pre-ban.

@4) The event certainly suggests as much. It'd be pretty crazy to have a professor actually show up angry at having his time wasted collecting a lost student. I wonder what the punishment for the pirates would be?

Yeah, quick point of correction: Sageni don't kill people, at least not if they can help it. They forcibly turn them into unhealthy, but still living blood banks for them to feed on when they feel like. It's kinda not seen as a good thing.

On complication events, I have to ask - how many people, roughly, were involved with writing them? Because I see a ton of different styles with how exits/benefits/drawbacks are described. Some say "Random Event Underground 8 Exit 2" which, in addition to being a patently untrue description, gives the benefit of "Expand Skill Step Scouting", others are merely "Exit 1" and hand out "Incantation Spells", yet others have the benefit of "You're getting braver!". Reading through complication events shows a really bizarre picture of how plans changed during development.

Fewer casualties, but over time they will spill significantly more blood than a straightforward predator would. Time during which the victim may still be alive, but certainly not healthy. At least I imagine that's the rationale behind it. Whether it's right, as such, eh, *shrugs*.

Metis & Free;

Many people- really, over 50, I think. We then progressed through 4 editorial passes.

1. What happened to the Gates-related beasts at the menagerie after the bans were enacted?

Nothing; it was the use of Gates that was banned, not usually the creatures and items. Not always the case, of course.

2, Has usage of Mastery magic ever showed an ethics decay outside of what would be expected from human nature?

That is hard to objectively judge...;)

3. In Y2 how does the unlocking of advanced skills work? I simply ask as I will undoubtably be attempting self study on subjects I won't have enough class slots for.

Very similar to current methods, except Advanced Skills can't be learned from Events.

4. While there was the one adventure that mentioned the unsavory subject of kidnappings of people to serve on airships, does this extend to 'official' usage, akin to press gangs of the old days of sail?

Yes.

5. Who are some of the most famous pirates operating around Mineta? And is Mineta considered a hotbed of piracy like the carribean of old? Or just 'average'

It's more akin to the Barbary Pirates. Hmmm...I know some are mentioned in the lores, but I can't recall the most famous of them, which is a Captain from Cassatta.

6. Are there dentists as a profession in setting? Or would that sort of thing fall under the umbrella of barbers?

Barbers, I believe.

7. Given the state of decline that the Empire is fairly apparent, is there risk of 'barbarian' invasions, kind of like the real roman empire had to constantly put up with in it's oiwn decline? (Maybe not of the island that the game takes place on, but in the far flung territories)

Not really, no, unless you count the dragons. In the past Reisengen was particularly vulnerable, but not in the modern day.

8. How potent can the spellcasting auras of particularly powerful and notable mages be?

They can be dazzling, if uncontrolled.

9. If a Master magician wanted to put a medium powered ong lasting spell on a person,(say a hex to make the person litereally magnetic) how long can that last?

Years, if not decades. It really has to do with the complexity of the Spell.

Many people- really, over 50, I think. We then progressed through 4 editorial passes.

[...]

Very similar to current methods, except Advanced Skills can't be learned from Events.

That...explains a few things :blink:.

Is the problem of random skill increases handing out illegal skill steps in extremely inappropriate places fixed in Y2? And for the places where they are appropriate, is there some player-controlled way to prevent/allow those skill steps to show up when they are appropriate outside of save/loading?