Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

If I was asked to judge over that I'd have the Godina student expelled and charged with a count of manslaughter at bare minimum, preferably murder. Being skilled enough to avoid such miscalculations and the resulting "accidents" is part of Duelling, and if you're not good enough to avoid them you simply shouldn't duel. Don't play with fire or it's your fault you got (someone else) burned, pretty much.

That said I simply must ask - it is planned for NPC students to be able to kill other NPC students, or is that only for/against the PC? I'd imagine it's PC only, it'd be a little annoying if suddenly your Clique dissolved because someone randomly got offed, but otherwise I've already got this glorious idea in my head for my Aranaz student. Like, seriously, say that Catherine Chard gets killed in a duel by Flore Yveuillet and I "find" proof that it wasn't an accident, but rather a deliberate assassination. On a scale of one to civil war, how bad would the result be?

8) Will some backgrounds have later a effect how good the player is with some magic and if so can you hint what backgrounds? (We know that the more you use a magic the better you get in it and that part of this also can pass to offspring's)

Based on a discussion, Backgrounds will not have this kind of an effect, they will only unlock some forms of magic.

1) Wait what? So some backgrounds outside of the one that give access to other schools will give us later access to special forms of magic?

2) Can you give us some info how long the travel time in average or in minimum are to the different Heritage backgrounds?

3) How many Students die per year in Academagia in average?

4) How many Students get mental or physical damaged so much that they can't continue the study at Academagia per year at average?

5) Not having the background Family: Wizards means you have no relative that is able to do magic (with the exception of the Secret Background)?

6) What are the known past names of the "Royalty"?

If I was asked to judge over that I'd have the Godina student expelled and charged with a count of manslaughter at bare minimum, preferably murder. Being skilled enough to avoid such miscalculations and the resulting "accidents" is part of Duelling, and if you're not good enough to avoid them you simply shouldn't duel. Don't play with fire or it's your fault you got (someone else) burned, pretty much.

That said I simply must ask - it is planned for NPC students to be able to kill other NPC students, or is that only for/against the PC? I'd imagine it's PC only, it'd be a little annoying if suddenly your Clique dissolved because someone randomly got offed, but otherwise I've already got this glorious idea in my head for my Aranaz student. Like, seriously, say that Catherine Chard gets killed in a duel by Flore Yveuillet and I "find" proof that it wasn't an accident, but rather a deliberate assassination. On a scale of one to civil war, how bad would the result be?

Here you go from the current justice system in the past if both party agree to a duel the death was a expected and accepted outcome as well!

In some form it should be avoided but as soon you use weapons that can kill (in our example magic) it is always part of the risk of a duel.

If you not accept the risk of a death you have to forbid duels for all 5 years at Academagia.

But because duels mostly not end in the death of the losing party its accepted to solve disagreements before they get into a big clique or college conflict that result in much bigger damage then the duel even if one person would die during the duel.

Even today if you enter the boxing ring and get some permanent damage or even got killed from the fight despite the protective gear the other party isn't sued or imprisoned if both party work within the rule of the boxing fight.

Metis;

Yes, it's possible to die in later years.

Thanks! I completely missed 13. :(

Schwarzbart;

1) Wait what? So some backgrounds outside of the one that give access to other schools will give us later access to special forms of magic?

It can happen, yes.

2) Can you give us some info how long the travel time in average or in minimum are to the different Heritage backgrounds?

I will ask. :)

3) How many Students die per year in Academagia in average?

Hmmm. 0-1, I would think. It does happen, but rarely.

4) How many Students get mental or physical damaged so much that they can't continue the study at Academagia per year at average?

Now that is higher- perhaps as much as 10%? Part of this will be adjustments of the AI Tables. :)

5) Not having the background Family: Wizards means you have no relative that is able to do magic (with the exception of the Secret Background)?

I would think so, yes.

Hmmm, there are two main 'royal' branches- the Elumian, and the Auncish, and that split comes from the war between the New Gods. I don't know their surnames, though- I'll have to ask, great question!

Metis;

Yes, it's possible to die in later years.

Well, yeah, the PC being able to die in Y2 was already confirmed (I'm...fairly sure), I was asking if it's possible for NPC students to kill (accidentally or otherwise) other NPC students. And if the player can have a hand in that, because old Catherine? She needs to start a civil war for at least one of my students. Post-mortem, that is.

Hmmm, there are two main 'royal' branches- the Elumian, and the Auncish, and that split comes from the war between the New Gods. I don't know their surnames, though- I'll have to ask, great question!

2) Can you give me at last one from Auncish for my next game (or even what royal family the player is linked with this combination)?

3) Is it just this year or general that Godina have no nobel? (At last according to my list there is no Godina)

If an adventure step gives you three reprimands by three different professors at once, does that equate to an immediate Hall Session for getting three reprimands within a month or do you have to be reprimanded three times on three separate days (or at least three different time slots)? The one time a glitch got me ten reprimands at once would suggest the former, but than again that was a glitch, so I figured I'd check.

Schwarzbart;

2) Can you give me at last one from Auncish for my next game (or even what royal family the player is linked with this combination)?

Sure, I will see if I can get it.

3) Is it just this year or general that Godina have no nobel? (At last according to my list there is no Godina)

You are right, I think- I don't think anyone is from major nobility this year. Minor nobility, perhaps.

Metis;

I *think* you would get Hall Sessions.

1) Is it planed that the situation of the male dorm change in Y2 depending on some background of a male player (i.e. a wealthy - noble without black sheep joined)

2) Is Negated also affect crafting with Alchemy, Enchanting or Calligraphy?

3) How many years is it planed that Negated need to work off at minimum?

4) Would focus on Negation help with work of Negated or what should a Negated try to learn to help with his status

5) Can Message of the Winds be used to stay in contact with your clique and so avoid the relationship draining?

I think my next char could be a interesting combination a Durand student of Auncish who is a wealthy royal noble that have 2 main weak point's as he is Negated and plagued with avarice.

Schwarzbart;

1) Is it planed that the situation of the male dorm change in Y2 depending on some background of a male player (i.e. a wealthy - noble without black sheep joined)

There would likely be differences, but in Y2, it's not planned.

2) Is Negated also affect crafting with Alchemy, Enchanting or Calligraphy?

It can, especially to prepare materials, but it's not considered to be a critical crafting skill.

3) How many years is it planed that Negated need to work off at minimum?

I'm not sure.

4) Would focus on Negation help with work of Negated or what should a Negated try to learn to help with his status

Hmmm, let me ask before I answer. ;)

5) Can Message of the Winds be used to stay in contact with your clique and so avoid the relationship draining?

Yes, it would help...if you can make the rolls. ;)

I think my next char could be a interesting combination a Durand student of Auncish who is a wealthy royal noble that have 2 main weak point's as he is Negated and plagued with avarice.

1, Does there exist any mundane tricks to help fight Mastery? Things like keeping your mind occupied by reciting memorized poems, doing basic math over and over, etc?

2. Have any professors died at the academagia? (of non-natural causes) How often does that happen?

3. can you give one example of technology that has been blended with magic in setting?

4. While I suppose most of the non-teaching faculty are probably non-magically inclined, are there any good stories of powerful wizards winding up in a mere janitorial position? (by choice of otherwise)

5. Was the player character (if the adventure was completed) the only one to be inducted into the sphinx society in Y1? At least from our year? I suppose they primarily induct first years for obvious reasons but I'm wondering how much they tell us about itself in the first year? How long has it been in existence?

6. I think we've only had one instance (with DiCossa) that showed reaction to somebody that studied both Gates and Mastery. With that case, it seemed to have come as a surprise that even though he was a known Gates user, it was not expected at all that he would know Mastery as well. I suppose given that they are two very different magic sets, and the time required to learn such things would be vast, it isn't logical to assume that just because one studies one forbidden art, they don't necessarily study the other, but how dangerous would "someone who does know both forbidden magics" be considered, as compared to someone who only studied one of them?

7. Given that rimbal has a lot of influences from incantation magic, I was wondering if the Contu school has its own team, even if it's informal.

8. Is there a variable difficulty in mixing magic from differing pillars together?

9. Out of curiosity, are there any diseases in setting (natural or magical) that are treated as Leprosy was in real life, through much of history? Is something like Leprosy treatable in setting?

10. Are there any fossilized remains in setting as one can find in real life? (as in, on the scale that one can find in real life, although, I'm sure a few must appear from time to time even if not)

2. Have any professors died at the academagia? (of non-natural causes) How often does that happen?

Well there's this:

"No one likes to talk about it but on rare occasions, students or Professors die on the grounds of the Academagia. When they do, according to ancient law set up by Emperor Fundi, the person is to be buried in the Academagia Graveyard without exception. Of the forty-two headstones in the Graveyard, only one is routinely haunted: that of Nanteredal, former Professor of Negation. Of all his many accomplishments in life (such as being the trainer for all battle wizards at the Wall and being Emperor Fundi’s personal bodyguard), Nanteredal was most proud of being Professor of Negation at the Academagia. His pride in this work has followed him unto death, and every night his ghost materializes over his headstone to continue teaching those advanced enough in Negation to benefit from his existence. By watching his movements carefully, one has a chance to figure out the spell his ghost is trying to counter, and thus gain information on the spell itself. Note that a person must come alone to the headstone or Nanteredal will not appear, refusing to teach groups since his mysterious death when surrounded by people."

11) Is there already a school focusing on Technomancy (aka Revision/Incantation Enchanting combined with steammachines)?

12) Still nothing about a Auncish Royal past name for my next game (or even what royal family the player is linked with the Noble, Wealthy, Royal combination)?

13) Any thoughts about us start to build a Fan Fix for DLC 16? ^^

Free & Schwarzbart;

1, Does there exist any mundane tricks to help fight Mastery? Things like keeping your mind occupied by reciting memorized poems, doing basic math over and over, etc?

Keeping one's mind blank, counting numbers and so on are all common remedies for Mastery. Whether or no those actually work is unknown.

Rarely, but it does happen- see dyrhet's timely lore!

3. can you give one example of technology that has been blended with magic in setting?

Certainly- the steam engines of Ruckmarn.

4. While I suppose most of the non-teaching faculty are probably non-magically inclined, are there any good stories of powerful wizards winding up in a mere janitorial position? (by choice of otherwise)

Most of the non-teaching *faculty* are magically inclined, but amongst the staff, most are non-magical. There are plenty who are drawn to the Academagia who are, however.

5. Was the player character (if the adventure was completed) the only one to be inducted into the sphinx society in Y1? At least from our year? I suppose they primarily induct first years for obvious reasons but I'm wondering how much they tell us about itself in the first year? How long has it been in existence?

I believe these answers will be coming in part 2. ;)

6. I think we've only had one instance (with DiCossa) that showed reaction to somebody that studied both Gates and Mastery. With that case, it seemed to have come as a surprise that even though he was a known Gates user, it was not expected at all that he would know Mastery as well. I suppose given that they are two very different magic sets, and the time required to learn such things would be vast, it isn't logical to assume that just because one studies one forbidden art, they don't necessarily study the other, but how dangerous would "someone who does know both forbidden magics" be considered, as compared to someone who only studied one of them?

Not any more dangerous, in terms of harm to mind or body- but, certainly more dangerous in terms of forbidden knowledge.

7. Given that rimbal has a lot of influences from incantation magic, I was wondering if the Contu school has its own team, even if it's informal.

I think that they do, yes.

8. Is there a variable difficulty in mixing magic from differing pillars together?

No, not intrinsically.

9. Out of curiosity, are there any diseases in setting (natural or magical) that are treated as Leprosy was in real life, through much of history? Is something like Leprosy treatable in setting?

There are several, including Leprosy itself, which warrant seclusion- but they are all curable, if one has the means.

10. Are there any fossilized remains in setting as one can find in real life? (as in, on the scale that one can find in real life, although, I'm sure a few must appear from time to time even if not)

Yes, although not similar in density of the finds.

11) Is there already a school focusing on Technomancy (aka Revision/Incantation Enchanting combined with steammachines)?

No, not yet.

12) Still nothing about a Auncish Royal past name for my next game (or even what royal family the player is linked with the Noble, Wealthy, Royal combination)?

Not yet! :)

13) Any thoughts about us start to build a Fan Fix for DLC 16? ^^

Hahaha! Well, I think the Team likely encourages it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

1) So lets go to the extrem when there is a CoF of 100% and a CoS of 100% what would be the result?

- 1.1 The action/spell always fail because CoF is tested first and once this roll success the action fail

- 1.2 The action/spell always success because even if the test for CoF was a success the CoS still is tested and if both success the action/spell still is a success

- 1.3 if both CoF and CoS success then the roll for the action/spell depend on the normal roll needed for it

(because 1 and 2 feel wrong I suspected you did go the mathematic version with just one roll instead of check each separate)

2) Because fatigue and health are changed in year 2 will bonus to the max we get in year 1 still have some effect?

1) Could we gain the reason why Botany is a Durand skill? Is there something with Negation that need the knowledge of plants?

I could see Botany as great skill for Morvidus (outdoor, pet food), Vernin (alchemy and artifice) or even Aranaz (crafting of ink) but fail to see the link to Durand.

2) At what year is Prof. Sido teaching Language as class and is it then a Aranaz or a Hedi class?

Uh... 4?] What step does it take to make something your familiar? Is it just a close bond, or is there an actual ritual that links the animal or whatever-else to you?

5] I think this was asked before, but is there going to be familiar backstories of any kind? Like how they came to be, or how you met? *cough cough* shadow and faerie *cough cough*

Schwarzbart & Ronikai;

Sure:

1) Could we gain the reason why Botany is a Durand skill? Is there something with Negation that need the knowledge of plants?
I could see Botany as great skill for Morvidus (outdoor, pet food), Vernin (alchemy and artifice) or even Aranaz (crafting of ink) but fail to see the link to Durand.

Botany became a part of the core Durand curriculum not because of its association with the legendary king, but because of Botany's usefulness in the creation of potions, especially in terms of antidotes, cures and protective salves. This fit in, according to the Regent of the time, with Negations protective functions.

2) At what year is Prof. Sido teaching Language as class and is it then a Aranaz or a Hedi class?

I am not sure that his classes are a part of any particular College, but I believe you can take one beginning next year.

Uh... 4?] What step does it take to make something your familiar? Is it just a close bond, or is there an actual ritual that links the animal or whatever-else to you?

It is a somewhat mysterious process- why a Bond forms is relatively unknown, although there are a few theories. The Bond does seem to arise spontaneously, and, in some cases, regardless of distance. Typically, though, it forms with a nearby creature.

5] I think this was asked before, but is there going to be familiar backstories of any kind? Like how they came to be, or how you met? *cough cough* shadow and faerie *cough cough*

There is *some* of that in the Familiar Stories, but mostly it is left to your imagination and story-building.