Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

So, since the standard question is mostly shrugged off, I think I'll ask the question this way...

What has the team been working on Y2-wise, in this past month or two?

In case anybody was wondering, I've discovered that the old republic has an excellent free-to-play model, and have been very busy enjoying the game, despite my normal aversion to mmos. Hopefully it can keep me busy for a few more months. I've already spent more money on it than I think I have on any other mmo, which really says a lot about my opinion of the game.

In my experience F2P means you pay small amounts for each individual part of the game (or for your time otherwise spend grinding to get anywhere), eventually eclipsing the cost of a regular new game. Bonus points if the difference is greater than an order of magnitude. Though I suppose that $20, well, isn't.

That said I've heard that ToR was exactly that - a bucket of limited features unlocked by way of handing EA your credit card information. I guess you've managed to avoid that so far?

Yeah. Given that I don't have any credit cards. Never liked them. when I need to buy something electronic I buy and activate a temporary visa gift card.

Yeah, all mmos are like that to some degree if you are f2p. I just happened to really enjoy SWTOR, for it's story which is 100% doable even with the limits. quadruply so since I don't have to pay anything for it. Yeah you have some limits on it, but given the amount of satisfaction I got from it for free and plan to in the future, I didn't have any problem paying to unlock the extensions (and ease some of the worst limits in the process) Considering I paid for both EVE online and Aion. for approx 2 months and I didn't enjoy them nearly as much. I just really, REALLY don't like subscription models, and the f2p kotor is fully playable. I think that they did it 'right' The only thing you don't have full access to is the late game pvp stuff after you've hit the level cap, and auxiliary ways to earn xp, but I don't particularly care for that as much. I applaud the business model, even if I DO have EA's Guts.

Anyway, Quiestion thread!

1. Will players who stay in Mineta for the summer get to explore the island that Mineta is on at all?

To sum up what I've heard about the Old Republic: ToRtanic. Yeah.

Speaking of the question thread (because forgetting that is a great idea, of course) there was one thing I was curious about - say a group of individuals with no apparent ability to cast magic fall through a very temporary dimensional Gate that spits them out in the middle of Mineta and leaves them with no way back (because, well, no magic). What would be done, and by who? I imagine that they'll first be arrested and detained by the guards for an investigation of whether they're really not Gates mages, but when they're cleared of that accusation, than what? I assume that being the victim of a Gates spell isn't illegal.

Tor each their own. :P

The forums have been kinda slow over the past, eh, week, so I don't think a little off topic is too bad.

Oh, and Legate,,

2. What kind of spells would a person use if they were trying to increase the potency of somebody else's spells?

3] Is it possible to highten someones aptitude in magic using spells or enchanted items?

4] In the case of someone with no magical ability, is it possible to give them the ability using those methods? Or would that fall under illegal [redacted] territory?

5] For the background Negated, are there such items thar can lessen the barrier against your magic? I'm assuming you'll get an adventure about it, but is there anything in general lore-wise that can be done about the proscribed spell? Since spells don't actually last forever, is it possible that it will just wear off? And if so, can you help that process along with potions?

1. Will players who stay in Mineta for the summer get to explore the island that Mineta is on at all?

2. What kind of spells would a person use if they were trying to increase the potency of somebody else's spells?

3] Is it possible to highten someones aptitude in magic using spells or enchanted items?

4] In the case of someone with no magical ability, is it possible to give them the ability using those methods? Or would that fall under illegal [redacted] territory?

5] For the background Negated, are there such items thar can lessen the barrier against your magic? I'm assuming you'll get an adventure about it, but is there anything in general lore-wise that can be done about the proscribed spell? Since spells don't actually last forever, is it possible that it will just wear off? And if so, can you help that process along with potions?

6. How are the chances that Y1 steam release will make it this year?

7. How are the chances DLC 17 will published 2015?

some old questions its over month after I put some of them up the last time:

8)Is it intended that the player keep all the items from the scavenger hunt you do in Student Adventure Vincent Eins?

9) What is the longest sabbatical that a student has taken from their studies at the Academagia and still was allowed to continue and graduate?

10) What is the speed record for a student to have successfully completed their studies?

11) Can you explain how the Steal Merit action works? It's clearly Mastery of some type but apparently untraceable and this is due to bizarre methodology, I suppose? I thought that to do something of this nature, you'd need to cast a spell using some seriously not so good phemes?

12) Who of the 1st year beside Chard got a welcome party?

13) Any news what requirements the year 2 class will have that need more then one skill at a high level?

14) Can you give us some info how long the travel time in average or in minimum are to the different Heritage backgrounds?

15) What are the known past names of the "Royalty"?

16) How many years is it planed that Negated need to work off at minimum?

17) Would focus on Negation help with work of Negated or what should a Negated try to learn to help with his status

Free;

This month, they worked on more of the roll of years, especially some gaps revealed by Schwarzbart's question. :)

Nice to see that some of our questions help to find problems even before the release.

Yes there is already a adventure where you can help someone who never used magic before to get a item (think a wand) that allow him to cast magic like a master.

Also I think items that give +X% Success chance for a magic should fall in this category (sadly currently it don't counter chance of failure as one expect).

Beside we also have the aptitude for some Pheme on items where we not know what this gives in the next years.

18) Say a group of individuals with no apparent ability to cast magic fall through a very temporary dimensional Gate that spits them out in the middle of Mineta and leaves them with no way back (because, well, no magic). What would be done, and by who? I imagine that they'll first be arrested and detained by the guards for an investigation of whether they're really not Gates mages, but when they're cleared of that accusation, than what? I assume that being the victim of a Gates spell isn't illegal.

18) Say a group of individuals with no apparent ability to cast magic fall through a very temporary dimensional Gate that spits them out in the middle of Mineta and leaves them with no way back (because, well, no magic). What would be done, and by who? I imagine that they'll first be arrested and detained by the guards for an investigation of whether they're really not Gates mages, but when they're cleared of that accusation, than what? I assume that being the victim of a Gates spell isn't illegal.

I suspect if found out they are from some region Mineta have diplomatic relationship then the probably hand over to the diplomat of this region. If they are not from any known land or not even human then they might end to be objects of study in Academagia or killed out right as a suspected invasion / spy force.

Keep in mind that human rights might be a bit better then they where in the real world around this time but unknown foreigners that where found within your city without having passed the usual customs etc. have broken a lot of laws and even today that's enough for some country for extended prison time.

Also there no rights at all for non humans even if they are intelligent.

Or what do you expect Russia and China would do to a European or USA person when caught without papers inside of their territory or during the cold war a west German found in East German without crossed the border in a legal way?

Don't forget the world of Academagia is no happy place for the people without influence or money and for some it might even a step up if they are owned by someone instead of stand on their own.

Free, Roni & Schwarzbart;

Not as a normal Action, no.

In the old days, Gates was a popular, albeit problematic, choice because the results were nearly guaranteed. These days, Glamour, special forms of contingent Revision and even Incantation are used. The latter blurs the line between augmenting a spell and just happening to have another spell arrive at essentially the same time, of course.

Artifice can be used, too, with more preparation. [Redacted] is a good example of that usage.

ronikai, on 19 Oct 2015 - 10:35 PM, said:snapback.png

Definitely.

It could, yes, although it will definitely be specific.

It will wear off eventually, but it's robust enough to last decades. It is possible to hasten the removal process, but it's expensive.

6. How are the chances that Y1 steam release will make it this year?

I could not say; the Team will have to speak on that one!

7. How are the chances DLC 17 will published 2015?

As above. :)

some old questions its over month after I put some of them up the last time:

8)Is it intended that the player keep all the items from the scavenger hunt you do in Student Adventure Vincent Eins?

We cannot say too much, but whatever the player collected does indeed end up in storage on campus...

Serena Megana took two hundred and seventeen years, technically - though she only aged about four days. This was back when Gates magic was legal, and she conducted an experiment that went prodigiously wrong.

9) What is the longest sabbatical that a student has taken from their studies at the Academagia and still was allowed to continue and graduate?
Three days. In the Academy's second century they had a practice called the "Challenge of the Pillars;" if a student dueled the Regent of each college over the course of a week - with dueling terms set by the Regents themselves - and won every contest, a baccalaureatus magicae was automatically awarded at the end.
Of course, most of the challenges had a way of ending in death.
10) What is the speed record for a student to have successfully completed their studies?
This isn't so much a single action as a quick succession. Basically the caster sprays minor Mastery spells on students from other Colleges to encourage minor acts of violence and disrespect, then nominates three Colleges for a Merit review at a time, including his or her own. In theory, the nominator's College is at a disadvantage, but when representatives of the other groups are blasting one another with mud in front of Professor Briardi's office the results are usually pretty reliable.
11) Can you explain how the Steal Merit action works? It's clearly Mastery of some type but apparently untraceable and this is due to bizarre methodology, I suppose? I thought that to do something of this nature, you'd need to cast a spell using some seriously not so good phemes?

Silke Niederstatter threw herself (and, more to the point, her Godina dormmates) one, of course. A party for Malthezar was thrown at a wealthy Alesfan merchant's house, but other students weren't invited. And there was meant to be a do for Rixenda, but when Professor Briardi learned what the decorations were going to be she had the whole thing called off.

12) Who of the 1st year beside Chard got a welcome party?
15) What are the known past names of the "Royalty"?

In the sense of which kingly line a student can claim for a Background? Descent from Durand, through the line of Lito the Illuminator.
16) How many years is it planed that Negated need to work off at minimum?

17) Would focus on Negation help with work of Negated or what should a Negated try to learn to help with his status

No comments. :)

Hmmmm. It's not illegal, and it seems likely that they would be released into the streets to fend for themselves, if they are polite and speak the language. If they can't, they will likely be shown the gates. Otherwise, no harm would likely come to them, and they will probably keep *most* of their valuables. :)

Edit: Additional answers.

Thanks Legate for the answers even if you posted some answer over the question and not below.

The answer to 18 sound kind of strange to me as even unintentional passing the city/country borders without pay the dues at the gates / harbour always was a crime to be punished to my knowledge.

anyway new question time because I just recently learned some interesting things about the medieval law.

1) What kind of punishment are in the Criminal Law beside dues, prison and death? Are there things like pillory together with permanent mark the offender of its wrong deed or public whipping?

2) Is torture a legal allowed way to get a confession and if so are there written rules how to do the torture?

In the Academy's second century they had a practice called the "Challenge of the Pillars;" if a student dueled the Regent of each college over the course of a week - with dueling terms set by the Regents themselves - and won every contest, a baccalaureatus magicae was automatically awarded at the end.

Of course, most of the challenges had a way of ending in death.

3 Regarding this, While I suppose it's pretty obvious that this is no loinger done in practice, is thiis because nobody desired to do so anymore? Or is it because the rules were changed to not allow that anymore? Basically I'm asking if this circumstance is still technically on the books for us to try in Y5 if we are feeling really gutsy?

4. Who are some of the people who managed to graduate from the school in this manner? Any famous names?

The answer to 18 sound kind of strange to me as even unintentional passing the city/country borders without pay the dues at the gates / harbour always was a crime to be punished to my knowledge.

I guess Mineta doesn't have an entry tax? Not like people who just fell out of a dimensional Gate are likely to be carrying pieces of the local currency, anyhow.

I guess Mineta doesn't have an entry tax? Not like people who just fell out of a dimensional Gate are likely to be carrying pieces of the local currency, anyhow.

Depend where they are from ...if they speak the local language you might expect they also have the local currency, otherwise they wouldn't get free that easy if you read the answer.

Also I suspect the currency is still the same in all regions of the old Empire maybe even beyond at last for the trading.

The currency of the Roman Empire also was the trade currency within Europe for centuries after the fall of the Empire.

The currency of the Roman Empire also was the trade currency within Europe for centuries after the fall of the Empire.

That's because technically it didn't fall. It survived... in the East and yes the currency of Byzantium was the trade currency of all Europe for quite a time.

Also I suspect that any valuable metal/object can do to pay the taxes afterall gold doesn't really change value because of the seal stamped on it.