Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Can't say I'm too surprised. So would conning some wealthy family out of their on magical life-support brain-dead kid be a more realistic goal, or that is not something that's been invented yet?

...What? People have been asking for a few evil adventures, and I'm just trying to provide an opportunity (one I suspect the Team will reject due to either incompatible lore or just plain not working, if not because Sweet Unholy Cthulhu WHAT, but hey, a man can dream).

Hmm, before my adventures causes an issue, perhaps an obvious question.

Rather longer ago than I care to remember, I discussed golems with Larry, and we agreed that they would need far too many phemes for 1st years to even consider making them but I can't remember if that was a global ban or just a 1st years ban.

I was planning on having a Vilocean duelling mannequin (a golem that looks like a Vilocean duellist and is programmed to act as a sparring partner) in my book-worms adventure (2 stages left to go), are golems ok?

Hmm, before my adventures causes an issue, perhaps an obvious question.

Rather longer ago than I care to remember, I discussed golems with Larry, and we agreed that they would need far too many phemes for 1st years to even consider making them but I can't remember if that was a global ban or just a 1st years ban.

I was planning on having a Vilocean duelling mannequin (a golem that looks like a Vilocean duellist and is programmed to act as a sparring partner) in my book-worms adventure (2 stages left to go), are golems ok?

Problem with golem is that currently its not possible to intentional produce intelligent ones as for this you need Mastery or Gate magic to my knowledge.

Our Battle Mace figures are golems of some sort but unless the player mess with the magic they are simply stupid so there is probably no direct ban for golems just a ban for spells that need to make intelligent one that can follow orders that need some intelligence.

I.e. a golem specific made for training would be no use in real combat or guarding as he is not programmed via different spells for this tasks and the moves the golem makes are easy to seen trough just after a few training sessions.

Even a training golem should probably the top end of what is possible to make without binding a spirit to a golem as it need to react to many different situations and might be limited to just one specific weapon type for the opponent (and for sure only can handle 1 opponent at a time). Alone to be able to handle different human shapes and sizes and react to different moves will be a hell of programming without adding a spirit what is clearly forbidden.

I don't think a real combat golem is possible without a Spirit except you make a berserker one who not care for defence and attack friend and foe alike or one that need constant input what to do.

Problem with golem is that currently its not possible to intentional produce intelligent ones as for this you need Mastery or Gate magic to my knowledge.

Our Battle Mace figures are golems of some sort but unless the player mess with the magic they are simply stupid so there is probably no direct ban for golems just a ban for spells that need to make intelligent one that can follow orders that need some intelligence.

I.e. a golem specific made for training would be no use in real combat or guarding as he is not programmed via different spells for this tasks and the moves the golem makes are easy to seen trough just after a few training sessions.

Even a training golem should probably the top end of what is possible to make without binding a spirit to a golem as it need to react to many different situations and might be limited to just one specific weapon type for the opponent (and for sure only can handle 1 opponent at a time). Alone to be able to handle different human shapes and sizes and react to different moves will be a hell of programming without adding a spirit what is clearly forbidden.

I don't think a real combat golem is possible without a Spirit except you make a berserker one who not care for defence and attack friend and foe alike or one that need constant input what to do.

Hmm, so what about Muffin Man? And for that matter a certain stony familiar?

Fortunately as it is only going to duel a student it doesn't need to be very good, and I do have it using only very simple commands.

Possibly such things are more vanity toys than real sparring partners? We don't see the owner in the adventure (maybe I'll do something for year two if people like the adventure) but I can see magical gee-gaws being valued as much for being highly magical as atually being useful by some members of society.

As mentioned you can't produce intelligent golem intentional with the currently legal magic to my knowledge that don't mean things like Alice , Muffin Man, Professor Cog Spring can't be produced unintentional. About this cursed stone your sure it was "produced" in Elumina after the ban? I personal think it might even something that came to Elumina with gate magic and stayed so it's nothing crafted here.

This is correct: without Gates or Mastery, there can't be intelligent golems (although Glamour can go a long way to having the appearance of sapience.)

There isn't anything inherently illegal about Pre-Ban golems, of course.

As to that Stony Familiar...well...even the Dev Teams have many conflicting theories. :)

This is correct: without Gates or Mastery, there can't be intelligent golems (although Glamour can go a long way to having the appearance of sapience.)

There isn't anything inherently illegal about Pre-Ban golems, of course.

As to that Stony Familiar...well...even the Dev Teams have many conflicting theories. :)

OK, I'll mention that it is an antique ;-) Thanks guys, I suddely worried I'd have to re-write that stage and the adventure is already taking forever :(

Next time I may try seom 1-stage adventures, or just random events, doing the club adventures as multi-stage multi-phase adventures is quite tiring.

Is it possible for magic tests done through different pillars to have slightly different results from each other?

And correct me if I'm wrong but it *seems* to me that glamour could be used as well if incantation could do it.

Is there a way to tell if a glamour-based inspection of magic is being influenced? Outside of performing the test with a different pillar? And if such such interference is found and compensated for, could you get the correct result?