Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1) The player char is already influenced how (s)he think of the world trough skill level in year 1 (i.e. the Astrology based Emotion) will we see such a thing for other magic as well in higher level?

2) Are Glamour student prone to the idea that the world and they self are just illusions that they easy can change ?

3) How is magic that point out the school adjusted to updated thoughts what belongs to a school? (i.e. when part of the Gate and Mastery magic suddenly was changed to a other pillar)

albert;

Y2 has such a record and maybe, just maybe, you'll see a bit of that functionality in the Steam release. I am not sure, though.

4) Will the non Steam version of Y1 then also become this journal function if the Steam version get it?

5) Why is Catherine Chard as direct hire of a title at Academagia?

I'll be really interested to see what revelations an omni-magic user can have about the world or magic as a whole, particularly if Gates and Mastery are studied too. Even if the results could never be openly discussed among the larger population at all.

1. While in a major area I realize it's just about impossible, and with the Exile in place, you really can't say that there are any areas which haven't been touched by magic in some form or other. However, is it possible to find people who haven't seen magic performed, or even know what it is due to being sufficiently isolated in some inland area devoid of airships?

2. Has anyone ever gone mad studying magic, even if they never cast any spells? In other words, would ordinary people be sent in to observe certain magical effects because they had an excellent chance of not going stark raving mad like the mages that came before them?

3. Are there any Gates spells that aren't very.. Gates-like? I mean spells that don't involve portals, spirits, alternate planes of existence, or monster creation. I realize that what I just excluded is pretty much 99% of Gates, but I was curious if there wasn't any more...

4. Have any human-human familiar relationships occurred?

5. Does Jere use magic with his voice imitations? Can he perfectly mimic the voices or just the speech patterns of people?

6. Are there any parts of what's left of Monteon that are considered safe enough that sufficiently brave (and crazy-prepared) archaeologists might dare going to?

7. You've mentioned that Monteon is growing, albeit very slowly, implying that its wellspring is intact and gradually reforming the island. Has the maelstrom surrounding the island lessened in intensity in relation to the size of the remains?

8. Can you explain a little bit about how the academic credits work in the Academagia? Compared to modern real-life academies, I would say that there are a lot more electives, which is an obvious gameplay decision, but I was wondering how a diploma is granted, and what exactly does that mean?

To elaborate, how does the Academagia differentiate between two glamour users from different colleges, if at all? Does the school merely give generic diplomas with no relation to fields studied, or is it based solely on the chosen colleges classwork, and if so, how to the elected classes get factored in? Exactly what is the Academy's philosophy on how they educate their charges?

Free;

1. While in a major area I realize it's just about impossible, and with the Exile in place, you really can't say that there are any areas which haven't been touched by magic in some form or other. However, is it possible to find people who haven't seen magic performed, or even know what it is due to being sufficiently isolated in some inland area devoid of airships?

Definitely- isolated villages certainly have only heard of it, and never witnessed it, unless they've traveled.

2. Has anyone ever gone mad studying magic, even if they never cast any spells? In other words, would ordinary people be sent in to observe certain magical effects because they had an excellent chance of not going stark raving mad like the mages that came before them?

I'm not sure that there is anyone who studies magic that doesn't also cast Spells- I don't think the situation has occurred.

3. Are there any Gates spells that aren't very.. Gates-like? I mean spells that don't involve portals, spirits, alternate planes of existence, or monster creation. I realize that what I just excluded is pretty much 99% of Gates, but I was curious if there wasn't any more...

[Redacted], hee hee. ;)

No.

5. Does Jere use magic with his voice imitations? Can he perfectly mimic the voices or just the speech patterns of people?

No, although he could learn to do that, with sufficient skill in enchantment. He mimics speech patterns, not 'true' mimicry.

6. Are there any parts of what's left of Monteon that are considered safe enough that sufficiently brave (and crazy-prepared) archaeologists might dare going to?

Yes, but it's not truly safe. ;)

7. You've mentioned that Monteon is growing, albeit very slowly, implying that its wellspring is intact and gradually reforming the island. Has the maelstrom surrounding the island lessened in intensity in relation to the size of the remains?

Not measurably, no.

8. Can you explain a little bit about how the academic credits work in the Academagia? Compared to modern real-life academies, I would say that there are a lot more electives, which is an obvious gameplay decision, but I was wondering how a diploma is granted, and what exactly does that mean?

In 'reality' it's based on a combination of examinations and Regent approval. It is possible to be denied graduation due to a Regent's decision, and also possible to graduate despite exam scores. The overall practice is that the exams make the graduation.

In game terms, I think it's only based on examinations.

To elaborate, how does the Academagia differentiate between two glamour users from different colleges, if at all? Does the school merely give generic diplomas with no relation to fields studied, or is it based solely on the chosen colleges classwork, and if so, how to the elected classes get factored in? Exactly what is the Academy's philosophy on how they educate their charges?

Oh! It's a generic diploma, actually- the Artium Baccalaureus in the relevant Pillar (or multiple Pillars, depending.)

Hmmm. So, In regards to the diploma....

A. Is Orthography still considered a pillar as far as the diploma is concerned? And if not, what would be on an Aranaz student's diploma?

B. Does more than one regent have to sign off on the diploma if more than one pillar is stated? Or just the student's immediate regent?

C. Is it possible to demonstrate great prowess with a given pillar, yet never have taken a class in it, and still get the pillar recognized in your diploma?

No.

D. So this was changed? I remember years back we had a talk about bounding with humans and that it happened. Also I used this in one of my year 2 adventures where the gate user lamenting how unfair the world is.

E. Vernin and Aranaz also teach some spell magic in the core class that work outside of the 5 legal spell casting pillar?

D. So this was changed? I remember years back we had a talk about bounding with humans and that it happened. Also I used this in one of my year 2 adventures where the gate user lamenting how unfair the world is.

I think that discussion was about Dragon-Human familiar which was possible (with the human being the familiar of the Dragon) not on Human-Human but I could be wrong.

Also shouldn't the familiar have a strong sense of affection and loyalty to his bonded ? (like very very strong :P)

Free & Schwarzbart;

A. Is Orthography still considered a pillar as far as the diploma is concerned? And if not, what would be on an Aranaz student's diploma?

No. For most Aranaz Students, it will be Arts.

B. Does more than one regent have to sign off on the diploma if more than one pillar is stated? Or just the student's immediate regent?

More than one, in that case.

C. Is it possible to demonstrate great prowess with a given pillar, yet never have taken a class in it, and still get the pillar recognized in your diploma?

Very rarely, but it does happen.

D. I believe it was Dragon-Human, as well.

Free;

Except in rare cases, that's what you would see. You might occasionally see Philosophy, though.

I did miss E!

E. Vernin and Aranaz also teach some spell magic in the core class that work outside of the 5 legal spell casting pillar?

Well...they don't work 'outside' of it, according to their definitions...;)

I dug up this thread (this forum has one awesome search engine I'll give it that) and the only question pertaining to Human Familiar was this one:

2) What are the chances of a human as a familiar?

Answered by this:

Leo;

Dragons were known to have human familiars, but the number of cases wherein that's happened in modern Elumia is nearly zero. Make of that what you will. smile.gif

http://academagia.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1274&page=140#entry24635

So I guess that settles it.

Some advanced Negation class might teach you how to defend against Gate and Mastery artefacts in theory but that probably all we could get at Academagia unless this 2 pillar become legal again.

It seems like this is virtually guaranteed. Doesn't Negation... I want to say Methods 11 inform Mastery Methods even in year 1?

The Middle Empire informs Theory of Mastery...and Negation Methods 11 actually does inform Mastery Methods? Well heck, I did not know that. Going to have to update Mastery's wiki page...

EDIT: Regarding Dragon worship, is it (at least generally) only the biggest, baddest and most histrionically noteworthy Dragons that are worshipped, are Dragons as a species venerated rather than any individual Dragons (although individual big, bad and historically noteworthy might act as a "stand-in" for Dragons as a whole), is worship limited to currently alive and active Dragons who somehow spread influence past the Wall, what?

Also, on a not completely unrelated note, are there any crimes so heinous and irredeemable that city guards are expected (or at least not punished if they choose) to execute people caught red-handed in the act on the spot, and if yes, is flagrant Dragon worship something that'll get you cut down right then and there?

Edited by Metis

I likewise don't think that immediate execution is the standard Modus Operandi for dealing with people caught in flagrant acts of Dragon worship, but I'm still curious if a "shoot first ask questions second" kind of guard who does decide to skip right to decapitation would get punished for it afterwards. Assuming, of course, that the perpetrator was caught red-handed in a spectacularly obvious and inexcusable fashion - think caught in a secret room absolutely stuffed with portraits of Dragons trampling various buildings important to the old Empire of Man (Imperial Palace, the Wall, Academagia...), religious shrines dedicated to historically noteworthy Dragons, and a bookcase filled with wonderful titles such as "Glory of the Draconic Domination" written entirely in Draconic, and maybe a painting or two that depicts the New Gods as tyrants cruelly murdering the righteous drakes.

Obviously such a guard would likely get a talking-to about proper procedures and respecting rank regardless, but would this individual be charged with manslaughter and/or severe dereliction of duty, is the question.

ronikai & Metis;

There are no currently taught classes at the Academagia in Draconic subjects. Although not technically illegal, it's certainly frowned up.

I would think there are no crimes which warrant immediate execution, but there might be situations in which a crime is progressing, or a criminal cannot safely be caught, wherein an execution might be warranted.

Worship of Dragons as a species was the religion; individual Dragons might be venerated in their lifetimes, but in death their cult was quickly destroyed by other Dragons. Their worship is a religious crime, and is prosecuted by the Imperial Temple, with secular assistance.