Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

An Omni question. :) This is a big one that I've been mulling over for a long time and I need to air it out.

I keep envisioning a sort of chart that looks like a 7 pointed star. Each point represents a pillar and representations of its phemes can be pinned to it. In the center, and in the spaces adjacent to the points of the stars are magic territories that belong to blended magic. By using Astrology to put phemes in their ideal location on this chart, one can then tie a string between any two of them and on various determined points along that path, if you're good you could determine subsidiary phemes related to those two based on phemes located near the string's path.

You could rearrange the pillars in any order you wished so that any two pillars could be next to each other to focus on the relationship between the two (say, Gates&Revision) because the area between points is larger and thus can derive more accurate results without other magic getting in the way. What kind of chart would you call this? And does this sound feasible? If this idea is workable, then this will be the focus of potential omni stories, and I would like the Team's input if it is something that may have been tried in the past and if people go insane trying to put the pieces together, etc, etc.

Free;

It's feasible, as long as you could re-arrange the Pillars. The use of Astrology here is inspired.

As to what it would be called...some kind of affinity map, maybe?

There are too many Phemes for a mage to have undertaken a comprehensive study like this, but like Tycho Brahe in his observatory, perhaps only the foundation is needed...;)

Hmm. Interesting... I really like the sound of "Affinity Map" so I think I will call it as such. I would expect that the main limiting factor in this sort of endeavor would be the wizard's own knowledge of phemes. Also, I would expect that due to the number of phemes involved, you would also need a space at least the size of a large classroom to do it justice. Still, a full comprehensive study would not be in the scope of a Y2 adventure. (It is an idea for a Y5 final project though, nya hahah!) For Y2, I would think merely pinning the Y1 Phemes my character knows would be sufficient to show a proof of concept to others. Something on the size of a large game board or such. That version would have to be dumbed-down sans Mastery and Gates but it would still be pretty impressive. Less work too. Though I suppose you could work on that on the sly... ;)

What would be the reaction to even a utterly simplified Y1 Affinity Map like I've described if I showed it around? Would there be enough positive feedback to warrant the effort to continue? I'm merely trying to gauge whether building such a thing would even really be possible to do given that this is primarily an omni mage issue and I know it will be difficult to have the time to do that properly while at the Academagia or, more likely, anything more than a simplified effort would have to wait until after graduation.

Wait, when was that said? While logical, If parents really wanted their kids to learn stuff, they should have made a lasting impression for when the kid arrived at the beginning of Y1, no? (Though I expect that mostly only matters for the wealthy noble parents, and a few specific instances. in which case I don't care.)

Humorously I wonder what my char's parents of the traitor background would say to the thought that their child knows and might someday associate their name with Mastery and Gates, too. heh.