Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

On a completely unrelated note, here's another quote from the Steam discussions (this is going to be a recurring theme, isn't it?):

Not really - most of the [first year Academagia] students are 11. You can set up for [romance], but that's about it.

Eh, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do recall the cut-off for first year Academagia students being 12 on Juvenalia, and only Kurt being 11 for a week and change at the start of the school year because he was so close to the cut-off that the Legate made an exception for him.

2) Are there official sanctioned clubs at Academagia (I think this was a yes)?

3) What is the requirement of opening a new one?

4) What are the benefit from having a official sanctioned club to just claim one of the many abandoned class room for a private one?

5) What are the requirements to join one of the official ones beside what the club it self set? (Think it must be a general only 2nd-5th year can join)

WG;

1. It depends on where you are. In Mineta, it's primarily large landowners and gentleman famers. As Schwarzbart notes, although there are no people bound to the land in Mineta. Those customs still do exist elsewhere, however.

2. According to the weather, but usually either a light gown or nothing at all.

How much range can you get with the Archery skill, actually? I'd assume you couldn't magic a bow up until it functioned like a modern sniper rifle, but what's magic for if not to accomplish the impossible, right?

Might work better with a crossbow, though. Hmm <_<...

Speaking of archery, strength is a very important factor and it's interesting to note that many historical archers had warped their arms due to the amount of vigorous practice they had to do all the time.

The man in this video seems to have done a lot of practice with bows but still only uses one that would be considered pretty wimpy by a professional.

So what level would the player then be able to accomplish by the end of Y5 even with a high skill in archery?

Speaking of archery, strength is a very important factor and it's interesting to note that many historical archers had warped their arms due to the amount of vigorous practice they had to do all the time.

The man in this video seems to have done a lot of practice with bows but still only uses one that would be considered pretty wimpy by a professional.

So what level would the player then be able to accomplish by the end of Y5 even with a high skill in archery?

Lars Andersen is kind of a bad example of draw in general, since he uses a deliberately weak draw for trick shooting (the claims he makes in the video are pretty much all complete bullshit, not at all representative of historical archery). Bone warping was common mostly among the highest draw bows, like English longbows, though there certainly is archaeological evidence of lesser stress markers on the arm bones of archers who used less intense bows.

I'd think by year 5 you could certainly be a pretty goddamn proficient archer. There are 18 year olds represented at the modern olympics in archery after all, though they aren't as common as in some sports.

While I'd agree that Mr. Anderson's style is pretty flashy, I was under the impression that he simply used underweighted bows simply because that's about the comfortable limit for the average person without doing specific training to increase your draw strength.

In any case, it seems to me that the only need you'd have for a larger bow is for extra range. While the whole olympic style archery stuff is interesting, and I'm not going to diss it, The style seen in that video does seem a lot more practical to real life situations to me. (the obvious trick shots notwithstanding)

I don't mean to use "trick shooting" pejoratively or anything, I just mean that it's a style developed to do impressive speed shooting and other trick shots, rather than to prioritize force (and thus the ability to kill people). It's actually very impractical for combat situations because you can't do it with a heavier draw bow, and the level of draw he is using wouldn't pierce armor very well, about as big a factor as increased range.

His video's narration also asserts a lot about historical archery that simply isn't substantiated in the source material or in reconstructions, this isn't how archery was done (it was done in dozens of different ways, depending on the needs of the culture that was doing it), it's a method he invented to do impressive shooting in youtube videos.

Well, I don't know anything about the specifics about penetration and heavier weighted variants being better at it does seem logical, but You can see in the video he managed to pierce chain mail even with those limitations, Considering nobody wears metal armor today I can't see that being much of an issue, and really who knows what that kind of arrow would do to modern body armor designed to stop much smaller and lighter things, even if they go faster?

Hard to say, but honestly, for most legal uses I can't see one needing much more than what was shown, whether it's 100% accurate to a specific culture or a modern amalgamation of various pieces of source materials. (indeed it's probably impossible to know exactly how ancient archers of various cultures trained outside of time travel) Not saying that the big stuff isn't cool though. Who wouldn't fear an expert marksman with a 180 lb warbow? You wouldn't even need a full draw to screw them over, heh.

Alrighty legate. I've held my peace since DLC17 was obviously a more important stepping stone to pass before worrying about Y2.

But now Y2 should be the big stepping stone we need to aim for, so I would like to ask you for a commitment regarding the Y2 class list. I understand that Y1 had a class removed at nearly the last moment, and if you feel that the list still isn't final, just tell us that there may be some last second alterations.

So will you at least tell us when we can expect the Y2 class list reveal if you still can't get permission to show it outright? I really REALLY think it's time.

Update - our dev team has isolated the section of code that generates the error (coming from the steam dll). We are contacting their support as we do not understand the reasons why. So unfortunately, at this point, does not seem to be a quick fix.

So that means the clique bugfix is also delayed?