Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

It looks like your sigi is a little messed up, legate. Perhaps it needs to be tweaked. Especially now that the forum considers the use of the enter key forcing a double space now.

1. Can you give an example of some school textbooks that are considered obsolete but kept around for historical/cultural purposes. (as a reference work that showed what people thought at the time, perhaps?)

2. Can you tell me what the team thinks of my Y1 gradebook spread sheet? I'd love to know if there were any other ways to improve it.

3. Would rapid use of extremely complex and powerful, pre-made, one-time use spell scrolls in a duel be considered cheating?

It is possible to play as an Aranaz student in Y1 and choose courses so that one will not receive formal instruction in any pillar of magic. Has any student done this in Academagia's history? and what would the Y2 courses selection be like for such a student?

And on a different topic, what are candies of the void used for? The can inform one of gates, but those who make them are unlikely to need such knowledge. Are they used as a drug? a teaching tool? a poison (8 stress will incapacitate many people)? just a candy to test one's mental fortitude with?

Any classes in a recognized pillar of magic since Orthography got demoted, yes, but it's not possible to attend Academagia without learning some magic. Even classes like Arithmetic teach spells and Phemes. As for students who've done so before, of the current first years I believe only Rikildis has no pillar classes? Could be wrong there.

12 minutes ago, Metis said:

Any classes in a recognized pillar of magic since Orthography got demoted, yes, but it's not possible to attend Academagia without learning some magic. Even classes like Arithmetic teach spells and Phemes. As for students who've done so before, of the current first years I believe only Rikildis has no pillar classes? Could be wrong there.

When did Orthography get demoted? With DLC 17? I just came back after a pause.

@LaughingHero: The in-universe description of Aranaz says: Aranaz College is named after King Aranaz, a legendary tactician whose brutality is no less famed than his skill. This college once championed the art and science of Orthography, but the Praetexta council folded this discipline into Astrology and Artifice. The college remains, however, and is known for its pursuit of perfection, order and power.

As for why it was demoted, I suspect that the demotion of pillars may have more to do with political/prestige aspects of the study of magic than with rational thinking. @Legate of Mineta: Was the demotion of orthography motivated in part by professional tensions? and has a new pillar been promoted? is there (as of the timeframe of Y1), any movement to promote or demote another pillar?

3 hours ago, Rhialto said:

As for why it was demoted, I suspect that the demotion of pillars may have more to do with political/prestige aspects of the study of magic than with rational thinking. @Legate of Mineta: Was the demotion of orthography motivated in part by professional tensions? and has a new pillar been promoted? is there (as of the timeframe of Y1), any movement to promote or demote another pillar?

Definetly political. But Orthography probably was found lacking compared to other pillars. 

Altough the fact that Orthography is considered to be part Astrology is interesting. I used to think Ortho was a Glamour/Artifice blend rather.

I wonder now if Dragons used Orthography or is it a pure human/New Gods invention. If the legate can answer it will be great. :)

For other contreversial pillar I would say Astrology Xmaybe just because it is so weird compared to the others (and not from the true and esteemed magic givers tsk tsk... ). Maybe Artifice too.

Also maybe Glamour pre-ban since then it got quite the boost so to speak afterall... .

As far as I know, Artifice is creating magical items, forge is making mostly metal items (armours, weapons, jewellery), art is well art... knowing both what is art and having the "skill" so to speak, and engineering is well building stuffs.

Some if not all of those skill may be required  if you try to create a complex object tough. For exemple building a red ship (it's that how they are called? the ones from that Vernin adventure).

isadorbg;

It is believed to have been a human form of magic only.

Interesting... . So now we have two pillars that are not of draconic origins. (with one out of grace admitetly) 

The more you know... .

As far as I know the school of Artifice covers everything that the game folds under Brew, Enchant, Engineering and Forge, maybe even parts of Art (I.E. Painting). Most of those aren't strictly magical, true, but I'd assume that's what it is if Vernin champions the school of Artifice, not Enchant.

So, in my most recent game, I completed the main adventure with the three students called the Triplets (albeit through using clique members). I also completed both of Sima's adventures, all of Magsa's adventures (including the one as a Durand student with the dwarf in the bathroom), and Tabin's adventure. This leaves me with the following questions:

1. Are the Triplets physically related? or are they siblings through oaths (such as are found in fiction such as the Oath in the Peach Garden in Romance of the Three Kingdoms)?

2. Are dwarfs well-known, or are they hidden from the world?

3. Will completing all three members' adventures in addition to the Triplets adventure have an advantage in Y2?

4. Will Y2 reveal more about who/what the triplets are? because my thinking is that they are not fully human.

5. Would Tabin's herbal effect be considered mastery if it were to be created through magic rather than herbs?

6. Are there people in Cyve with non-human (e.g., goblin, elemental, etc.) heritage or rumours about such heritage?

On another topic, I wonder how common personal fire arms are. The student Dobry is said to keep an old musket. How commonly owned are muskets?