Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

@Legate of Mineta:

1. Well, I will assume that the registry is public but rather obscure and rarely consulted. Would this work?

2. Why are ghosts difficult to focus? in what ways are they difficult to focus? And would researching this involve gates magic?

3. Which two students are from Ruckmarn? And are they hiding it?

4. Speaking of student origins, is the Oursouki student hiding his/her origins?

5. Has Academagia ever had a student from Saisyne?

6. Which student in Y1 would care more about regional student associations?

Rhi;

1) Sure- it's in the Main Hall.

2) Ghosts themselves have difficulty focusing. You may have noticed. :)

3) You'll have to consult what's publicly known among the Students. Many conceal, or do not publicly reveal, where they are from.

4) I think it is more they do not openly discuss it.

5) Yes.

6) I couldn't comment on this one. :)

3 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

Just in our year or in all 5 years?

Just in our year, of course. The team still hasn't fully created all of the students in the whole school yet.

Ooh, now that I've posted here...

1. Does Oriabel consider all Familiar ghosts to be too domestic for her, or just Pamela? And since she really hasn't seen a whole lot of ghosts yet, aren't her perceptions of what 'exotic' ghosts are like colored by her own preconceived notions of what a ghost is like? She is obviously heavily into the type often told about from campfire ghost stories because of her father.

2. Can you give an example of a Glamour that straddles the line into Mastery to the point of being illegal on principle, rather than technical means.

3. From an omni-disciplinarian perspective, I am curious about cross pillar casting. I know you don't want to talk about the specific example of the twisted path students who studied both Revision and Gates, but I'm hoping there might be another example you wouldn't mind talking about. Is this about cross pillar casting or is it more on the line of just becoming a master of 2 pillars because the spells from one can be used in service to the other?

4. Can you touch upon what the rituals for dating used to be like at the Academagia before the... Mastery incident?

5. Regarding the abilites of a first year to be able to have fire phemes hazily come into focus when angry, albeit surely on a subconscious level, I was wondering if this is something that the wizard in question can observe with practice, or if it is near impossible to do outside of spontaneously accidentally burning someone, haha! :)

Schwarzbart & Free;

As Free noted, just in our year.

1) Very definitely colored. Pamela almost doesn't count. :)

2) Anytime perception sways there's a line in there somewhere...

3) I'll ask, but there's both. Some really unique magics can form from the union of two Pillars. Orthography is the most well known example of this.

4) I'll ask. :)

5) Spontaneity is difficult to observe, because of the phenomenon that gives rise to them...but it could be done with sufficient precaution.

2 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Schwarzbart & Free;

3) I'll ask, but there's both. Some really unique magics can form from the union of two Pillars. Orthography is the most well known example of this.

We have some information on Calligraphy, but I'm curious. who created Orthography? And how did it rise to become thought of as a pillar? It may well be that learning the origins of the magic may be an excellent way to look for inspiration for other magical combos.

Now it's getting interesting... .

On 10/06/2017 at 0:03 AM, isadorbg said:

Definetly political. But Orthography probably was found lacking compared to other pillars. 

Altough the fact that Orthography is considered to be part Astrology is interesting. I used to think Ortho was a Glamour/Artifice blend rather.

I wonder now if Dragons used Orthography or is it a pure human/New Gods invention. If the legate can answer it will be great. :)

For other contreversial pillar I would say Astrology Xmaybe just because it is so weird compared to the others (and not from the true and esteemed magic givers tsk tsk... ). Maybe Artifice too.

Also maybe Glamour pre-ban since then it got quite the boost so to speak afterall... .

On 10/06/2017 at 0:28 AM, Legate of Mineta said:

isadorbg;

It is believed to have been a human form of magic only.

Inb4 Orthography is restored as a pillar in 2 or 3 years.

Orthography, however, was invented by mankind.

Which is closer to answering the question that I originally asked. :)

Do parachutes exist? I would think that they probably would, given the setting, even if their use was not very common.

1) Arte the number of signs in the alphabets for the different languages different?

2) Is old Elumina and modern Elumina using a slight different alphabet?

I'm curious because the most common version of numberology for divination using text or names as source for the divination. (Not sure maybe I already had asked about this in the past)

1. What colors to unicorns appear in? Only white? And do winged variants appear?

2. Can you tell us anything about Opossum and Racoon Familiars? Are they unheard of? Since the Familiar bond process is partly up to chance, it has to have happened before. Any good stories surrounding them?

3. Given that magical herbs and mushrooms are fairly common, I have to ask about any common recreational drugs in setting, including magical variants, as well as the Academagia's policy on usage of such items, especially those which have genuine beneficial uses.

4. Are there any sort of cliches surrounding wizards who like to live in very tall towers isolated from large communities?

5.This is kind of a big one. I've been trying to order all of the history in the game for a while. Given that we only ever get pieces and there is no official timeline to reference outside of your internal documents. Can you look over my understanding of the proper order of history and make any corrections and notations you feel are needed? I'm aware that it seems the periods overlap a bit, so I've tried to make as much sense of everything as I can.

The First Captivity: Dragons show up rather suddenly, make a show of force taking land, and cohabitate with many native races through feigned goodwill, which quickly deteriorates into outright slavery, probably taking about a generation or so, and lasts for a good while, This is where most magic was first taught to humans, even though Astrology is older. Eventually, a rebellious army was created, by the mythic kings and queens who today are the namesakes of the Academagia's colleges. This coalition eventually succeeded in defeating the dragons, although due partly to choices made, the final blow to the oppressors never came...

The Exile: Having lost the war to put down their human slaves, the dragons apparently chose an extreme course of action was necessary to save themselves. Although due to the catastrophic ramifications of the event, it is not well understood outside of the obvious, whole chunks of the world were rended skyward, with great violence. The chaos that ensued caused the collapse of most kingdoms, as the map literally needed to be rewritten. Making matters worse was it became impossible to return to or communicate with the surface. The aftershocks from this event continued for centuries and can still be felt in a subdued way today. Travel was impossible to and from all of these newly created sky islands, which allowed the dragons time to recuperate, and since they could fly....

The Second Captivity: The dragons reasserted their domination one island at a time. As the humans were separated, they could not band together and were easy prey. Although due to this separation, there were many islands which did in fact live free from the tyranny that many ultimately suffered. Eventually, though it seemed that this period might have gone on forever, eventually the new gods appeared, These beings organized humanity, and gave many gifts of knowledge to reignite the rebellion against the old masters, and were powerful enough (with the help of many other races once subservient to the dragons decided to join in the rebellion, although that is not well known today and is a bit scandalous) to eject them from what is now considered Elumia, partially by the forced dissolution of their main ruling body. They also set up the defenses against the dragons, which ultimately lead to..

The Early Empire:: Even early in the second rebellion, it was clear that a unified front was required to face the dragons. A powerful imperial government was set up, (which is the foundation of the modern calendar) as well as a centralized school for teaching the magical arts that were so critical at having a chance at defeating dragons in combat. The descendants of the new gods were the ones who were most involved in this. Since the dragons again were never fully defeated, a powerful force was required to meet them in battle during their inevitable return. Many battles have been fought successfully since.

The Middle Empire: After several centuries of self rule, the Empire of Man begain to truly prosper. airships became common, reestablishing trade and communication with the disparate islands had a very powerful positive effect, although things eventually started to slowly turn downhill. Gradually, the threat of the dragons started waning, and as that was the glue which formed the very fabric of human society up until that point, individual regions gradually started becoming more autonomous, and infighting started occuring amongst certain regions. This, and the abuse of certain magics for more petty endeavors led to both corruption and disaster, causing said magics to be repeatedly banned and unbanned, causing a loss of knowledge on how to properly deal with them. Some even dared to challenge the imperial rule, (the story of enlightenment) although that is a story for another time. Eventually, though, an event happened which dealt the Empire a grievous blow...

The Calamities: Due to the dying out of several bloodlines of royalty who were elected to the position of the Emperor, there were only a handful of candidates worthy of being considered. Eventually, the island from which most emperor hailed was suddenly overcome by an incredibly devastating event which saw that vast majority of it collapse back down onto the old world below. Although a few people were saved in time, the island, which was one of the largest, was simply too large, and the collapse too fast to even think about a proper evacuation. The event was not a clean collapse, either, which caused massive amounts of floating debris and powerful storms to wreak havoc on the whole region surrounding the area where it used to be.The loss of one of the last main Imperial bloodlines caused the seat to become vacant, further accelerating the decay of the government

The Modern Era (To be named later no doubt): While the Imperial government still stands, and most regions of which it is made up have never openly revoked it's claim of power over them, in practice it is a shadow of its former self and all islands except for the one which holds it's capital practice a very large degree of autonomy. It's presently unknown exactly how much stress the current political system can take, should a serious event happen, but as it stands most are still interested in maintaining the status quo. Unfortunately this also includes resistance to the idea that reforms are needed to even patch together and repair the now ailing millenial-old defenses against the dragons should they ever decide to return in force, which has not been seen in centuries.

Somehow I have the feeling many times the meeting go like this: ;)

Any Progress this week?

New Adventure: Yes

News Event: for sure

New game texts: absolute

Editing and spelling: uhmm we falling behind even future

Code: Some progress but nothing to show

UI: No as we need to wait for new graphic

Graphics & Music: Do we have money to pay a new artist? Otherwise no

22 minutes ago, Schwarzbart said:

Somehow I have the feeling many times the meeting go like this: ;)

Any Progress this week:

New Adventure: Yes

News Event: for sure

New game texts: absolute

Editing and spelling: uhmm we falling behind even future

Code: Some progress but nothing to show

UI: No as we need to wait for ne graphic

Graphics & Music: Do we have money to pay a new artist? Otherwise no

Amen Brother.